Hey Snake, got a few questions on GP 800

• Gold Member

2000 Yamaha GP 800 with trailer, 38hours; asking $3,800.

Visually, everything looks to be in good shape.

You have any experience with this model? What are your thoughts on it? What should I look for that wont be obvious?

It would be used primarily by my teenaged nieces and nephews.

22 hours ago, Kivalo said:

2000 Yamaha GP 800 with trailer, 38hours; asking $3,800.

Visually, everything looks to be in good shape.

You have any experience with this model? What are your thoughts on it? What should I look for that wont be obvious?

It would be used primarily by my teenaged nieces and nephews.

Just be thankful that you didnt buy the 1200 lol. The 1200 has more balls but also has its fair share of issues and is a PITA to do carbs on.

The usual issues with these skis are this. There is a Cat converter in the exhaust body that will fall apart and block the exhaust. They almost all do it. Google "D-plate".

Also if you have cavitation issues coming out of the hole they run waaaay better with a pump stuffer kit and some 3m 3200 to seal all the cracks around the ride plate and intake. A LOT of stock skis have this issues. Might be worse on the 1200.

Also i assume it has powervalves. If so search up Waveater clips. They are a 15 min install and prevent the valves from dropping into the pistons. these 3 things are common on most GP models. :bc:

• Gold Member
42 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Just be thankful that you didnt buy the 1200 lol. The 1200 has more balls but also has its fair share of issues and is a PITA to do carbs on.

The usual issues with these skis are this. There is a Cat converter in the exhaust body that will fall apart and block the exhaust. They almost all do it. Google "D-plate".

Also if you have cavitation issues coming out of the hole they run waaaay better with a pump stuffer kit and some 3m 3200 to seal all the cracks around the ride plate and intake. A LOT of stock skis have this issues. Might be worse on the 1200.

Also i assume it has powervalves. If so search up Waveater clips. They are a 15 min install and prevent the valves from dropping into the pistons. these 3 things are common on most GP models. :bc:

I'll check on those things, thanks. :bc:

I owned a 99 GP 1200. It fucking rocked! The GP 800 is basically the same thing just less one cylinder and a little power.

They are very stable and has pretty good features but you are going to want to put on an aftermarket scoop and prop. They have a tendency to "porpoise" in rough water. The after market scoop helps alot with that.

Also the choke plates on my 99 were inadequate, I think they changed them so 2000 might not be an issue. I put a primer on mine anyway.

Other that that I never had a single problem with it. Great boat...

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

I owned a 99 GP 1200. It fucking rocked! The GP 800 is basically the same thing just less one cylinder and a little power.

They are very stable and has pretty good features but you are going to want to put on an aftermarket scoop and prop. They have a tendency to "porpoise" in rough water. The after market scoop helps alot with that.

Also the choke plates on my 99 were inadequate, I think they changed them so 2000 might not be an issue. I put a primer on mine anyway.

:bc:

3 hours ago, Anler said:

I had an XLT 12 and put 3 hundred hours on it without issue other than the electric powervalve motor and the converter shitting the bed .   Great boats , way better than the seadoos of that era imo.