No much new from Yamaha this year.

irv

Yeah, except everybody is saying that all the Sidewinder's failings are the Cat parts - chassis, final assembly, overall typical Cat shit build quality. 

5 hours ago, Garth said:

One would think there is a long term agreement previously in place. I hope For Yamaha sake that it does as the AC relasionship has breathed some much need life to their snow line.  Kinda like Yam got a younger GF!

25 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yeah, except everybody is saying that all the Sidewinder's failings are the Cat parts - chassis, final assembly, overall typical Cat shit build quality. 

Does the 'winder actually have "failings" with respect to build quality or are these just implied?

7 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

How were you able to revive a thread from 2006 Irv?  I thought all the old threads were gone once the switch in owners were made?

:lol:

1 hour ago, Garth said:

Yes I recall, think it was actually winter weather at the time, the guys said you were great to work for. Nice place you've got there and right in a sledders paradise. 

thank you.

sledding is why we bought there

• Platinum Contributing Member
54 minutes ago, Garth said:

Turbos Falling off?? Wow there would be some noise leading up to that one...Are there multiple cases of these or just one off posts?

Only inside Puzzler's head.

1 hour ago, Garth said:

Turbos Falling off?? Wow there would be some noise leading up to that one...Are there multiple cases of these or just one off posts?

Not one turbo has fallen off, cause I,ve asked puzzler several times to post a pic, and knowing how thorough he is, and his great internet skills, he hasn,t even been able to come up with a photoshop pic. Of course, to a great internet mechanic like puzzler, if the turbo bolts happen to come loose, then that,s as good as the turbo fell off. I,m starting to think he might work for CNN.

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

Not one turbo has fallen off, cause I,ve asked puzzler several times to post a pic, and knowing how thorough he is, and his great internet skills, he hasn,t even been able to come up with a photoshop pic. Of course, to a great internet mechanic like puzzler, if the turbo bolts happen to come loose, then that,s as good as the turbo fell off. I,m starting to think he might work for CNN.

Don't you mean PNN?

Look it up yourself Fuzzy, I'm not on TY.

Poor Fuzzy, can't stand the fact that his beloved Sidwinders are not without faults.  Well let's see...... if the bolts holding the turbos on loosen, and you don't tighten/Locktite them..... what happens? 

But all those faults aside, the best is that they need BRP skis to work..... even Yammy dealers recommend them.  :lmao:

10 hours ago, bladefever said:

Other then over at TY....... Who else says that statement?....... You still own a 20 year old Polaris that hasn't let you down. When your Yamaha has reached that age and mileage..... Then make a fair comparison......

Well, since most Yamaha owners likely visit TY, I'd say your guess is as good as mine? 

You are correct, only it's 22 years old now, and I wouldn't trade it for any newer Polaris built in the last 10-15 yrs. Trust me, when I was looking to upgrade from my 95, I looked at nothing but Polaris but I didn't like what I was reading or seeing. It's too bad, Polaris had a good thing going, top of the market, better than average reliability, etc, etc, but unfortunately, even after all these years of trying to get it right, again, they continually get worse, year after year it seems. My take is, just like their Victory motorcycles, which were actually better built vehicles, they will likely also dump or sell their sleds too. 

10 hours ago, Garth said:

Sorry irv; to clairify, they were derived from the original 1 Ton and carried the key attributes along; namely tankishly high weight, bordem in operation and extremely high cost for what you are getting. I'm not sure I'd make in home on a Japan built Yamaha these days, would be likely to fall asleep and drive into a tree..

I have owned 8 Polari' over the last 15 years, they always "get me home" I live near the trail and ride ALOT, typically several thousand miles per season, how bout you?

8 Polari over 15 years?? Are you a bit concerned about reliability/dependability, whether they will get you home, whether your warranty dollars will run out, or do you just prefer not to venture down those avenues if you can help it? 

I have ridden newer sleds than my 08 Vector, and although some might ride slightly better or handle slightly better, there is nothing that makes me want to spend even a few grand let alone $10+ grand, to gain what? 

(Only a few more pics for you below as I didn't want to rub it in too much) 

8 hours ago, Yamadoo said:

2008 ltx

just south of Dorset on St Nora

your guys were at my place last february

I think I asked you this before, Yamadoo, but do you know the Sudsbury's from Dorset? They ride Yamaha's also, and have for years. They are smart like you and I as well. :bc:

4 hours ago, Renegade X said:

How were you able to revive a thread from 2006 Irv?  I thought all the old threads were gone once the switch in owners were made?

They're in the archives, Jesse. Didn't take much searching at all. 

I see I hooked a few, but was really hoping my old combatant, RR would have chimed in by now. I guess he finally grew wiser. :dunno:

Nick-and-Lisa-with-50000-Miles.jpg

High mileage Yamaha.jpg

High mileage Yammy.jpg

Uh-oh, gonna be some comments coming from the Poo-Lovers. 

You are correct, only it's 22 years old now, and I wouldn't trade it for any newer Polaris built in the last 10-15 yrs. Trust me, when I was looking to upgrade from my 95, I looked at nothing but Polaris but I didn't like what I was reading or seeing. It's too bad, Polaris had a good thing going, top of the market, better than average reliability, etc, etc, but unfortunately, even after all these years of trying to get it right, again, they continually get worse, year after year it seems. My take is, just like their Victory motorcycles, which were actually better built vehicles, they will likely also dump or sell their sleds too. 

32 minutes ago, irv said:

Well, since most Yamaha owners likely visit TY, I'd say your guess is as good as mine? 

8 Polari over 15 years?? Are you a bit concerned about reliability/dependability, whether they will get you home, whether your warranty dollars will run out, or do you just prefer not to venture down those avenues if you can help it? 

I have ridden newer sleds than my 08 Vector, and although some might ride slightly better or handle slightly better, there is nothing that makes me want to spend even a few grand let alone $10+ grand, to gain what? 

I think I asked you this before, Yamadoo, but do you know the Sudsbury's from Dorset? They ride Yamaha's also, and have for years. They are smart like you and I as well. :bc:

I see I hooked a few, but was really hoping my old combatant, RR would have chimed in by now. I guess he finally grew wiser. :dunno:

High mileage Yamaha.jpg

High mileage Yammy.jpg

You are going to be waiting a long time ole wise one. RR does not hang out here. He resides on the other forum.

44 minutes ago, irv said:

High mileage Yamaha.jpg

High mileage Yammy.jpg

Id rather ride something fun and exciting than a droning army tank with skis. Winters are to short. Who cares if a Yamaha can go 50000 miles? Any snowmobile can reach that many miles if you keep throwing enough money at it. 

Hey, I'm not a Yamaha sled fan, but nothing wrong with what Irv posted.  And sure, the sled chassis will need maintenance..... I think his point was the longevity of the engines. 

Not many will "throw money" at a multi valve 4-stroke motor to rebuild it, it would be almost cost prohibitive on an old sled.  I've been a Yamaha bike fan since I was a kid, dirt, street.... they know how to build an engine. 

9 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Hey, I'm not a Yamaha sled fan, but nothing wrong with what Irv posted.  And sure, the sled chassis will need maintenance..... I think his point was the longevity of the engines. 

Not many will "throw money" at a multi valve 4-stroke motor to rebuild it, it would be almost cost prohibitive on an old sled.  I've been a Yamaha bike fan since I was a kid, dirt, street.... they know how to build an engine. 

They will, my buddies 1200 exploded after 100 feet, new engine, then the next week a water pump and then the next month a clutch...great sled, he sold it last week, listed on the Snow city web site....good luck...to the new owner....

That's different.  A new sled, with 0 miles, is not the same as an old RX Tonne with 50000 miles on it. 

And..... I'm guessing that was a warranty claim? 

7 minutes ago, Poncho said:

They will, my buddies 1200 exploded after 100 feet, new engine, then the next week a water pump and then the next month a clutch...great sled, he sold it last week, listed on the Snow city web site....good luck...to the new owner....

No, I do not know them

8 hours ago, firecatguy said:

How about the fst from poo, seems like you can get one at decent dollars are they any good? 

They were OK.  Quite heavy though.  The weber turbo was quite nice.