Father of dead Navy SEAL refused to meet Trump at ceremony

Update at 12:13 PM
By: The Associated Press

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - The father of a Navy SEAL killed during an anti-terrorism raid in Yemen is demanding an investigation into its planning and criticized the Trump administration for its timing.
Bill Owens told The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/2lTYhPB ) in a story published Sunday that he refused to meet with President Donald Trump when both came to Dover Air Force Base to receive the casket carrying his son, Chief Special Warfare Officer William "Ryan" Owens.
"I want an investigation," said Owens, a retired Fort Lauderdale police detective and veteran. "The government owes my son an investigation."
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told ABC's "This Week" on Sunday she believes the president would support an investigation.
"I can't imagine what this father is going through," she said. "His son is a true American hero, and we should forever be in his son's debt."
The younger Owens, a 36-year-old married father of three, was the lone U.S. fatality in the Jan. 27 raid on a suspected al-Qaida compound. Approximately 16 civilians and 14 militants died in the raid, which the Pentagon said was aimed at capturing information on potential al-Qaida attacks against the U.S. and its allies.
The elder Owens told the Herald he refused to meet with the president because the family had requested a private ceremony.
"I'm sorry, I don't want to see him," Owens recalled telling the chaplain who informed him that Trump was on his way from Washington. "I told them I don't want to meet the president."
He said he was also troubled by the attack Trump leveled at Khizr and Ghazala Kahn, an American Muslim family whose Army officer son died in Iraq in 2004. The couple had criticized him at the Democratic National Convention last summer. He also questioned why the president approved the raid a week after taking office.
"I told them I didn't want to make a scene about it, but my conscience wouldn't let me talk to him," Owens told the Herald. "Why at this time did there have to be this stupid mission when it wasn't even barely a week into his administration? Why? For two years prior, there were no boots on the ground in Yemen - everything was missiles and drones - because there was not a target worth one American life. Now, all of a sudden we had to make this grand display?"
Sanders defended the raid in her interview with "This Week" host George Stephanopoulos. The White House says the raid was planned during the Obama administration, but the former president's aides have said he hadn't given the go-ahead because it would have been an escalation of U.S. involvement in the war-torn and destitute Arab country.
"The mission has a lot of different critics, but it did yield a substantial amount of very important intel and resources that helped save American lives and other lives," Sanders said.
___
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com

I'd have to look into this but if it is true his father is pissing on his own son's grave and is an embarrassment beyond belief to his son and his son's brothers in arms.

Ick.  Another embarrassing and pathetic liberal.  That is, if the story is true.  If it isn't, the writer is just a pathetic liberal.  Hell, that's most likely true anyway.

Just now, spin_dry said:

another attack by the trumpeters on another dead soldier's family. seems to be going around. seig heil. 

No.  You idiots don't know anything about this.  NOTHING.  You are pathetic, weak and cowardly.  You have no idea about honor and "esprit de corps" within these types of military teams.  Either does this soldier's father.  He should be ashamed.  

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

uh huh...zamboni is butthurt....he's getting all puffed up. :lol: 

:lol:

No, just like putting you boys in your place when you know damn well it's where you need to be on this subject.  SBYL though.  Make better choices. :lmao:

12 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

We keep being told our military is fighting to protect our rights. Isn't this, declining to meet the President if you so choose, one of those rights? :dunno:

Who cares about that...he doesn't have to meet with him if he doesn't want to.  That type of ridicule and shame throwing is only for Stanley Cup winning racist goalies that refuse to meet with Obama.

It's the other idiocy he is running he is supposedly running his mouth about.  Pathetic.  He must not have been close to his son if it is true.

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Who cares about that...he doesn't have to meet with him if he doesn't want to.  That type of ridicule and shame throwing is only for Stanley Cup winning racist goalies that refuse to meet with Obama.

It's the other idiocy he is running he is supposedly running his mouth about.  Pathetic.  He must not have been close to his son if it is true.

now you're a family therapist. :lol:

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

now you're a family therapist. :lol:

No, just a realist.  His father sounds pathetic and I'd bet they weren't close at all.  The thought of my father acting like that in the wake of my death makes me cringe.  

normal people: I feel sorry for that poor father who lost his son. if he wants answers to the questions surrounding his son's death that is his right

rwws: meh, the father is an embarrassment, selfish, and disrespectful.

classy

curious if you rww assholes were saying the same thing when the mother of the guy killed in bengazi was wanting answers, wanting someone to blame, while being pranced around on the RNC stage?

18 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

normal people: I feel sorry for that poor father who lost his son. if he wants answers to the questions surrounding his son's death that is his right

classy

curious if you rww assholes were saying the same thing when the mother of the guy killed in bengazi was wanting answers, wanting someone to blame, while being pranced around on the RNC stage?

That's a pretty broad brush, considering you are arguing with one guy.

And, well, a stupid Nook is involved, but they're always butting in.

(Did Trump send anyone out after the operation, and lie to the entire world about what happened? I would call that extenuating circumstances on the mother's presence, eh?)

Edited by Snake

• Platinum Contributing Member

Media should stay out of this altogether unless the family requested them.  Even Trump being there shouldn't be a news story.   

35 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

classy

You are garbage...nothing more.  Just a liberal twat.  And if you think you'd get away with this shit in person, well.....you'd have to learn self defense in a hurry,  It wouldn't help much though.

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Media should stay out of this altogether unless the family requested them.  Even Trump being there shouldn't be a news story.   

Yep.  But the Lib media need to create a divide between their "fans" and the military.  The military (and law enforcement) does not back them.

• Platinum Contributing Member

The father has every right to be upset.   He lost his son.  I've always thought the govt/military should be completely honest and transparent as they can when informing family the nature of someone killed during training or combat.  Lets face it their record on this isn't exactly stellar however that would rarely have anything to do with the CiC.  

Edited by Highmark

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The father has every right to be upset.   He lost his son.  I've always thought the govt/military should be completely honest and transparent as they can when informing family the nature of someone killed during training or combat.  Lets face it their record on this isn't exactly stellar however that would rarely have anything to do with the CiC.  

Sure he does.  And he doesn't have to meet with Trump.  IDGAF about that.  But this SEAL signed up, and worked his ass off to get into this unit.  These are special teams and they have a special bond with each member and their unit. Politics isn't part of their mission...and they don't care.  I guarantee you if it was told by to any of these teams the dangers of maybe even 100% casualty rate that if they wanted, they could step out....not a single one would.  NOT ONE.  These are 100% VOLUNTEER units.  Anyone can quit them at anytime and be reasigned and that happens.  They are out of the team and into a "gulag" waiting for new orders within minutes of "resigning".

The problem is, this father probably didn't have a close relationship with his son, and thus, is doing nothing but insulting his son's service, integrity and unit. Good grief...it still makes me cringe thinking about it.  Yuck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Sure he does.  And he doesn't have to meet with Trump.  IDGAF about that.  But this SEAL signed up, and worked his ass off to get into this unit.  These are special teams and have a special.  Politics isn't part of their mission...and they don't care.  I guarantee you if it was told by to any of these teams the dangers of maybe even 100% casualty rate that if they wanted they could step out....not a single one would.  NOT ONE.  These are 100% VOLUNTEER units.  Anyone can quite them at anytime and be reasigned and that happens.  They are out of the team and into a "gulag" waiting for new orders within minutes of "resigning".

The problem is, this father probably didn't have a close relationship with his son, and thus, is doing nothing but insulting his son's service, integrity and unit. God grief...it still makes me cringe thinking about it.  Yuck.

You really need to shut up at this point.

1 minute ago, Snake said:

You really need to shut up at this point.

No, I don't.  Don't get all whiney on me.  Either this father had no respect for what his son went through to get to where he was in a top tier SEAL team, or...and it could be this too...in fact, I may be too harsh on the father, the press is making all of this horse shit up all together.