governors prepare for a corn holin'

WASHINGTON (AP) - A sobering report to governors about the potential consequences of repealing the Obama-era health care law warns that federal spending cuts probably would create funding gaps for states and threaten many people with the loss of insurance coverage.
The Affordable Care Act has two main components for expanding coverage: subsidized private health insurance available in all 50 states, and an optional Medicaid expansion that has been accepted by 31 states and the District of Columbia. Those two components of the health law cover more than 20 million people.
A report by the consulting firms Avalere Health and McKinsey & Company concluded that the changes under consideration by the GOP-led House would reduce significantly federal dollars for Medicaid and subsidized private insurance.
The effect on Medicaid would be far-reaching. The federal-state program for low-income people covers more than 70 million Americans, many of whom have high health-care needs.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of a slide presentation made by the consultants to governors meeting this weekend in Washington.
The report said the combination of phasing out Medicaid expansion money from the U.S. government, plus transforming the overall program from an open-ended federal entitlement to one that operates under a cap would likely result in state funding gaps. States that expanded Medicaid would face the deepest cuts.
States would get more flexibility to design their programs, but the money crunch could lead to cuts in eligibility, benefits, or payments to hospitals and other service providers. The impact of federal spending reductions would compound over time.
Reduced Medicaid spending could also hurt states with dampened economic activity and fewer jobs, the consultants said. Hospitals, which benefit from Medicaid coverage, are big employers in local communities. Costs of care for uninsured patients could become an issue.
In addition, the private insurance subsidies provided under Obama's law would also be scaled back, according to the report.
Although states would get some additional safety-net funding, reductions in federal insurance subsidies would expose some consumers to new costs for their coverage. That would probably result in fewer people covered, as some consumers drop their plans.
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, Medicaid consumed an average 19 percent of state budgets in 2015, the most current year available, ranging from 7 percent in Utah to 41 percent in New Hampshire.
Budget hawks including House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., support the kind of program flexibility GOP governors are seeking, but chiefly want to spend less on Medicaid.
Gov. John Kasich, R-Ohio, said he thinks "there's going to be a problem in the House of getting anything out of there that still provides coverage to people. That's why the Republicans have to reach out to some of the Democrats. I don't know whether this is going to happen," he told CBS' "Face the Nation."
Governors on Saturday met privately with Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, who according to several of the state leaders said the Trump administration wanted to work with states to overhaul health care, but he did not provide specifics.
A Medicaid proposal by GOP governors, a draft of which was obtained by the AP, urges Congress to change Medicaid from an open-ended federal entitlement to a program designed by each state within a financial limit.
Some of the governors behind the proposal, including Kasich, opted to expand Medicaid in their states despite pressure from conservatives.
"I think there are some very conservative Republicans in the House who are going to say just get rid of the whole thing. And that's not acceptable," he said.
He added: "Republicans can go and do what they want, and I'm going to talk to them. But at the end of the day I'm going to stand up for the people that wouldn't have the coverage if they don't get this thing right. And I happen to believe that the best way to get this right over time is for actually both parties to work together. I know that's considered an impossibility now, but what's at stake is not some political thing. What's at stake here are 20 million Americans."

21 minutes ago, Anler said:

Poor people need to just die. They are too much of a burden for the rest of us. 

What an ugly thing to say.  I think we should import more of them.  Maybe some attached to some insane religion that frowns on human rights and free thought.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What an ugly thing to say.  I think we should import more of them.  Maybe some attached to some insane religion that frowns on human rights and free thought.  :ph34r:

Poor people of all religions are just no damn good...

51 minutes ago, Anler said:

Poor people need to just die. They are too much of a burden for the rest of us. 

not so much poor people who would work at dunkins and starbucks otherwise,  old and disabled dying off would really balance the books well in this country though.  

Just now, Anler said:

Poor people of all religions are just no damn good...

That's a lie.  It's just poor religious Americans.  Poor religious immigrants and refugees that can only communicate in rough "hand language" and have no skills to get a job and support themselves are good.  As long as they adamantly continue their refusal to assimilate into the America's "melting pot".

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

not so much poor people who would work at dunkins and starbucks otherwise,  old and disabled dying off would really balance the books well in this country though.  

I also agree. I support three of them now...

49 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That's a lie.  It's just poor religious Americans.  Poor religious immigrants and refugees that can only communicate in rough "hand language" and have no skills to get a job and support themselves are good.  As long as they adamantly continue their refusal to assimilate into the America's "melting pot".

I've yet to meet an immigrant who is as lazy as an American. In fact I probably know more immigrants who have amassed more wealth in a short amount of time than natural born citizens in the same amount of time. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I've yet to meet an immigrant who is as lazy as an American. In fact I probably know more immigrants who have amassed more wealth in a short amount of time than natural born citizens in the same amount of time. 

You are just lucky I guess.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

You are just lucky I guess.

Not really, hard working people who came from a place where it was hard to make money. They come here and have to compete with lazy fucks. They excel pretty quickly. Most of them buy property and start renting to other immigrants. Within 10 years they usually own multiple properties. 

Just now, Anler said:

Not really, hard working people who came from a place where it was hard to make money. They come here and have to compete with lazy fucks. They excel pretty quickly. Most of them buy property and start renting to other immigrants. Within 10 years they usually own multiple properties. 

So slum lording is your idea of success?  I guess it's all relative or  relatives. :lmao:

By the way, your ability to outwork other "lazy Americans" is why you are successful too, correct?

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

So slum lording is your idea of success?  I guess it's all relative or  relatives. :lmao:

By the way, your ability to outwork other "lazy Americans" is why you are successful too, correct?

Worked for the trumps. 

And on the second, yep. My parents aren't rich and gave me nothing, except a work ethic. I've been on my own since I was 18. 

14 minutes ago, Anler said:

That's gotta have more to do with something other than just hard work alone.  No one can just "bust ass" and roll in the dough.  Maybe once upon a time it worked that way, but not so much this day in age.  Things gotta fall into place just right or one has to belong to some "program".  

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I bought a bird feeder.  I hung it
on my back porch and filled it
with seed. What a beauty of
a bird feeder it was, as I filled it
lovingly
 with seed.
Within a week we had hundreds of birds
taking advantage of the
continuous flow of free and
easily accessible food.

But then the birds started
building nests in the boards
of the patio, above the table,
and next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was
everywhere: on the patio tile,
the chairs, the table ...
everywhere!

Then some of the birds
turned mean. They would
dive bomb me and try to
peck me even though I had
fed them out of my own
pocket.

And others birds were
boisterous and loud. They
sat on the feeder and
squawked and screamed at
all hours of the day and night
and demanded that I fill it
when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even
sit on my own back porch
anymore. So I took down the
bird feeder and in three days
the birds were gone. I cleaned
up their mess and took down
the many nests they had built
all over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like
it used to be ..... quiet, serene....
and no one demanding their
rights to a free meal.

Now let's see......
Our government gives out
free food, subsidized housing,
free medical care and free
education, and allows anyone
born here to be an automatic
citizen.

Then the illegals came by the
tens of thousands. Suddenly
our taxes went up to pay for
free services; small apartments
are housing 5 families; you
have to wait 6 hours to be seen
by an emergency room doctor;
Your child's second grade class is
behind other schools because
over half the class doesn't speak
English.

Corn Flakes now come in a
bilingual box; I have to
'press one ' to hear my bank
talk to me in English, and
people waving flags other
than ”ours” are
squawking and screaming
in the streets, demanding
more rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe
it's time for the government
to take down the bird feeder.

• Like 1

Just now, hayward said:

That's gotta have more to do with something other than just hard work alone.  No one can just "bust ass" and roll in the dough.  Maybe once upon a time it worked that way, but not so much this day in age.  Things gotta fall into place just right or one has to belong to some "program".  

Sure, it's how you spend and save your money. In our work it's mostly Hispanic and eastern European(Pollack's, Ukrainians, Lithuanians) laborers. I've seen dozens of them do it. One guys who used to work for me (Lithuanian) is out of the business now and living in one of the wealthiest zip codes in the state. From the time they got here to the time they moved there is probably about 17 years. The problem with Americans is they get caught up in the American culture. Gotta have these clothes, gotta drive this car, gotta drink this vodka,etc... That's fine and dandy if you can afford it, but if you can't you're not going to go very far...

2 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

lovingly
 with seed.
taking advantage of the
easily accessible food.

everywhere!

Then some of the birds
turned mean. They would
dive bomb me and try to
fed them out of my own
pocket.

And others birds were
sat on the feeder and
squawked and screamed at
when it got low on food.

sit on my own back porch
all over the patio.

rights to a free meal.

Now let's see......
Our government gives out
citizen.

English.

bilingual box; I have to
than ”ours” are
squawking and screaming

Another chain email? I have a bird feeder in my back yard. Ironically a red tailed hawk sits on the neighbors roof and watches it... :lol:

14 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

lovingly
 with seed.
taking advantage of the
easily accessible food.

everywhere!

Then some of the birds
turned mean. They would
dive bomb me and try to
fed them out of my own
pocket.

And others birds were
sat on the feeder and
squawked and screamed at
when it got low on food.

sit on my own back porch
all over the patio.

rights to a free meal.

Now let's see......
Our government gives out
citizen.

English.

bilingual box; I have to
than ”ours” are
squawking and screaming

LOL. 
I love how worked up people get over chain emails.

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 hours ago, spin_dry said:

WASHINGTON (AP) - A sobering report to governors about the potential consequences of repealing the Obama-era health care law warns that federal spending cuts probably would create funding gaps for states and threaten many people with the loss of insurance coverage.
The Affordable Care Act has two main components for expanding coverage: subsidized private health insurance available in all 50 states, and an optional Medicaid expansion that has been accepted by 31 states and the District of Columbia. Those two components of the health law cover more than 20 million people.
A report by the consulting firms Avalere Health and McKinsey & Company concluded that the changes under consideration by the GOP-led House would reduce significantly federal dollars for Medicaid and subsidized private insurance.
The effect on Medicaid would be far-reaching. The federal-state program for low-income people covers more than 70 million Americans, many of whom have high health-care needs.
The Associated Press obtained a copy of a slide presentation made by the consultants to governors meeting this weekend in Washington.
The report said the combination of phasing out Medicaid expansion money from the U.S. government, plus transforming the overall program from an open-ended federal entitlement to one that operates under a cap would likely result in state funding gaps. States that expanded Medicaid would face the deepest cuts.
States would get more flexibility to design their programs, but the money crunch could lead to cuts in eligibility, benefits, or payments to hospitals and other service providers. The impact of federal spending reductions would compound over time.
Reduced Medicaid spending could also hurt states with dampened economic activity and fewer jobs, the consultants said. Hospitals, which benefit from Medicaid coverage, are big employers in local communities. Costs of care for uninsured patients could become an issue.
In addition, the private insurance subsidies provided under Obama's law would also be scaled back, according to the report.
Although states would get some additional safety-net funding, reductions in federal insurance subsidies would expose some consumers to new costs for their coverage. That would probably result in fewer people covered, as some consumers drop their plans.
According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, Medicaid consumed an average 19 percent of state budgets in 2015, the most current year available, ranging from 7 percent in Utah to 41 percent in New Hampshire.
Budget hawks including House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., support the kind of program flexibility GOP governors are seeking, but chiefly want to spend less on Medicaid.
Gov. John Kasich, R-Ohio, said he thinks "there's going to be a problem in the House of getting anything out of there that still provides coverage to people. That's why the Republicans have to reach out to some of the Democrats. I don't know whether this is going to happen," he told CBS' "Face the Nation."
Governors on Saturday met privately with Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, who according to several of the state leaders said the Trump administration wanted to work with states to overhaul health care, but he did not provide specifics.
A Medicaid proposal by GOP governors, a draft of which was obtained by the AP, urges Congress to change Medicaid from an open-ended federal entitlement to a program designed by each state within a financial limit.
Some of the governors behind the proposal, including Kasich, opted to expand Medicaid in their states despite pressure from conservatives.
"I think there are some very conservative Republicans in the House who are going to say just get rid of the whole thing. And that's not acceptable," he said.
He added: "Republicans can go and do what they want, and I'm going to talk to them. But at the end of the day I'm going to stand up for the people that wouldn't have the coverage if they don't get this thing right. And I happen to believe that the best way to get this right over time is for actually both parties to work together. I know that's considered an impossibility now, but what's at stake is not some political thing. What's at stake here are 20 million Americans."

Got to love news today.  Reporting on predictions not facts. :lol: