perfect fit...

to lead the epa...

WASHINGTON — During his tenure as attorney general of Oklahoma, Scott Pruitt, now the Environmental Protection Agency administrator, closely coordinated with major oil and gas producers, electric utilities and political groups with ties to the libertarian billionaire brothers Charles G. and David H. Koch to roll back environmental regulations, according to over 6,000 pages of emails made public on Wednesday.

The publication of the correspondence comes just days after Mr. Pruitt was sworn in to run the E.P.A., which is charged with reining in pollution and regulating public health.

“Thank you to your respective bosses and all they are doing to push back against President Obama’s EPA and its axis with liberal environmental groups to increase energy costs for Oklahomans and American families across the states,” said one email sent to Mr. Pruitt and an Oklahoma congressman in August 2013 by Matt Ball, an executive at Americans for Prosperity. That nonprofit group is funded in part by the Kochs, the Kansas business executives who spent much of the last decade combating federal regulations, particularly in the energy sector. “You both work for true champions of freedom and liberty!” the note said.

Mr. Pruitt has been among the most contentious of President Trump’s cabinet nominees. Environmental groups, Democrats in Congress and even current E.P.A. employees have protested his ties to energy companies, his efforts to block and weaken major environmental rules, and his skepticism of the central mission of the federal agency he now leads.

The companies provided him draft letters to send to federal regulators in an attempt to block federal regulations intended to regulate greenhouse gas emissions from oil and gas wells, ozone air pollution, and chemicals used in fracking, the email correspondence shows.

They held secret meetings to discuss more comprehensive ways to combat the Obama administration’s environmental agenda, and the companies and organizations they funded repeatedly praised Mr. Pruitt and his staff for the assistance he provided in their campaign.

The correspondence points to the tension emerging as Mr. Pruitt is now charged with regulating many of the same companies with which he coordinated closely in his previous position. As attorney general of Oklahoma, Mr. Pruitt took part in 14 lawsuits against major E.P.A. environmental rules, often in coordination with energy companies such as Devon Energy, an Oklahoma oil and gas producer, and American Electric Power, an Ohio-based electric utility.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/us/politics/scott-pruitt-environmental-protection-agency.html?_r=1

• Gold Member
38 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

While I am all for  jobs and rolling back senseless and overly restrictive regulations I find your comment pretty fucking stupid. :bc:

Yep. EPA has it's share of problems to be resolved but to let people run roughshod over the environment is simply short sighted and stupid.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Kivalo said:

Yep. EPA has it's share of problems to be resolved but to let people run roughshod over the environment is simply short sighted and stupid.

We tried that once and rivers caught fire.

1 hour ago, Biggie Smails said:

While I am all for  jobs and rolling back senseless and overly restrictive regulations I find your comment pretty fucking stupid. :bc:

Lucky for me I couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

i think it's inevitable. most here don't remember what a mess streams, rivers, and lakes were at one time. those like snake, just don't care. i think we just have to go down this messy road every few decades. 

There has to be a balance, we can't have industry willfully fucking up our rivers and land. But we can't have ludacris regulations that are impossible to meet either.  The biggest problem now is reigning in Chinkland and their unbelievable filth. And just south of the border is pretty damn bad as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JEFF said:

There has to be a balance, we can't have industry willfully fucking up our rivers and land. But we can't have ludacris regulations that are impossible to meet either.  The biggest problem now is reigning in Chinkland and their unbelievable filth. And just south of the border is pretty damn bad as well. 

spot on