Nasa's 'holy grail': Entire new solar system that could support alien life discovered

ICEMAN!

Just now, Highmark said:

It will take more than that to accomplish the goal of reaching that planet in a lifetime.   Some things are just so far off I don't care how fast technology is advancing.   Traveling at the speed of light it would still take 40 years to get there!  We are a long ways off an and exponentially large amount of money spent to get there.   I can think of many better ways to spend the trillions and trillions of dollars it would take.

Speed of light is 656,215,200 MPH.   Currently we can go 33,000 in space.  

we can go far far far far faster than 33k ........and while we may or may not ever get there we should never let that stop us from letting every mind that wants to chase that goal full access to every resource. Before our lifetime is over we will be colonizing our own solar system. that is fucking amazing considering we were making fire with two sticks just a few short years ago

• Platinum Contributing Member
25 minutes ago, f7ben said:

we can go far far far far faster than 33k ........and while we may or may not ever get there we should never let that stop us from letting every mind that wants to chase that goal full access to every resource. Before our lifetime is over we will be colonizing our own solar system. that is fucking amazing considering we were making fire with two sticks just a few short years ago

The record for fastest launch velocity belongs to the New Horizons probe, which lifted off in 2006 on a mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. This 1,054-lb. (478 kilograms), piano-size spacecraft sped away from the Earth at a blistering pace of 36,000 mph (almost 58,000 km/h)

After a five-year jaunt through space, NASA's robotic Juno spacecraft arrived at Jupiter on July 4, 2016, and the gas giant's impressive gravity accelerated the probe to approximately 165,000 mph (265,000 km/h) relative to Earth. This made Juno the fastest-moving human-made object in history.

I wouldn't say far far far far faster.  We won't be colonizing our solar system in my lifetime.   We haven't done THAT much as far as human space travel since the late 60's early 70's.   We haven't been beyond orbit essentially.  

At 165,000 mph it would take 1.45 million years to get there. :lol:   

Edited by Highmark

16 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The record for fastest launch velocity belongs to the New Horizons probe, which lifted off in 2006 on a mission to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt. This 1,054-lb. (478 kilograms), piano-size spacecraft sped away from the Earth at a blistering pace of 36,000 mph (almost 58,000 km/h)

After a five-year jaunt through space, NASA's robotic Juno spacecraft arrived at Jupiter on July 4, 2016, and the gas giant's impressive gravity accelerated the probe to approximately 165,000 mph (265,000 km/h) relative to Earth. This made Juno the fastest-moving human-made object in history.

I wouldn't say far far far far faster.  We won't be colonizing our solar system in my lifetime.   We haven't done THAT much as far as human space travel since the late 60's early 70's.   We haven't been beyond orbit essentially.  

the reason we havent been colonizing space already is because of small minded war mongers like you and grabsass10

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

the reason we havent been colonizing space already is because of small minded war mongers like you and grabsass10

No its because of its lack of benefit to mankind.  There are other means to innovation than spending trillions on putting a colony on a basically uninhabitable planet like Mars.

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Again what do we gain from this expenditure in your own words?  World peace or some shit?

You realize money is meaningless right?  It's just numbers on paper with some fancy designs.

Meaningless.   Just like your thoughts and your entire life

Just now, Highmark said:

No its because of its lack of benefit to mankind.  There are other means to innovation than spending trillions on putting a colony on a basically uninhabitable planet like Mars.

all of the ancillary tech that comes with grandiose conquests should not go unaccounted for

Just now, Catman said:

You realize money is meaningless right?  It's just numbers on paper with some fancy designs.

Meaningless.   Just like your thoughts and your entire life

no...he doesnt realize that.....he's all wrapped up in working 70 hours a week so he can have a new RAPTOR !!!!!!!!!!!111

Just now, f7ben said:

no...he doesnt realize that.....he's all wrapped up in working 70 hours a week so he can have a new RAPTOR !!!!!!!!!!!111

Don't forget how wrapped up "he" is in how those pieces of fucking shit illegal immigrants working for nothing taking jobs I should get paid 80k to do so I can buy that piece of shit truck when I should really ride a bike because I'm going to have a heart attack before I'm 65.......

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

all of the ancillary tech that comes with grandiose conquests should not go unaccounted for

And it doesn't but we have to be realistic on what is reasonable and actually obtainable.  Reaching this far out solar system is in reality so difficult it does not make sense at today's technology to try and reach it.  The goal of colonizing our solar system while obtainable does not IMHO give us the return and we simply got too many other problems to do it simply because we can.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

40 light years away.   Like they know anything about it.  To put it in perspective the fastest spaceship we have goes 33,000 MPH and would take 1,720,000 years to get there.   Not to mention how to fuel it that long. :lol:   

Surely capitalism will find a way.

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

And it doesn't but we have to be realistic on what is reasonable and actually obtainable.  Reaching this far out solar system is in reality so difficult it does not make sense at today's technology to try and reach it.  The goal of colonizing our solar system while obtainable does not IMHO give us the return and we simply got too many other problems to do it simply because we can.  

Just the fact that we created something that was actually able to see that far and glean information is an incredible feat .....being able to look countless lightyears out into the universe is just incredible and 100 years ago naysayers would have said it was impossible

Just now, f7ben said:

Just the fact that we created something that was actually able to see that far and glean information is an incredible feat .....being able to look countless lightyears out into the universe is just incredible and 100 years ago naysayers would have said it was impossible

Like the Men of the gilded age puffing out their chest and proclaiming the Titanic "unsinkable".  

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

From my understanding we could see blinks of light from the star and ascertained based of those lights blinking that there were planets in orbit.  Hardly evidence they are earth like.   While I'm not saying its not amazing that we can see that far into space they are speculating greatly in the article.   Have to love the use of "probably" or so many other words used by the media these days.  

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Like the Men of the gilded age puffing out their chest and proclaiming the Titanic "unsinkable".  

Or Fukushima unleakable. Or deep water horizon unspillable. Or the Kalamazoo pipeline unbreakable.

The difference is, this is exploration and a seeking of knowledge, not arrogant hubris that's bound to come back to bite us.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

absolutely...when speaking on the ambitions of mankind its best to refrain from absolutes

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Maybe we can apply Einstein's theory of relativity and have a planet of the apes scenario. 

42 minutes ago, Catman said:

Don't forget how wrapped up "he" is in how those pieces of fucking shit illegal immigrants working for nothing taking jobs I should get paid 80k to do so I can buy that piece of shit truck when I should really ride a bike because I'm going to have a heart attack before I'm 65.......

No you ride a bike cause you are a cheap ass fuck. 

Just now, motonoggin said:

Or Fukushima unleakable. Or deep water horizon unspillable. Or the Kalamazoo pipeline unbreakable.

The difference is, this is exploration and a seeking of knowledge, not arrogant hubris that's bound to come back to bite us.

One mans explorer is another mans conqueror.  Even if we get a telescope that can look out a little further at the planets that circle our neighboring solar systems and find a hunk of green does not mean that we are still not alone. The chance of finding intelligent or even advanced life forms is near zero.   

2 hours ago, BOHICA said:

200 years from now we are going to essentially know the same shit about these rocks orbiting a distant red dwarf star.  We will have spent trillions to know that life could possibly exist on these rocks.

i will save you a bunch of money...  there is life out there...  we will never see it, talk to it or actually study it up close but it's out there somewhere.  

I just saved the US shit loads of cash!!!!

What other knowledge have you brought back from the future for us? :lol: