Probably done sledding for good.

1jkw

19 hours ago, Anler said:

Same problem everywhere. Wisconsin is a state full of alcoholic degenerates. Mix that with the FIB degenerates and its a cluster fuck. I cant tell you how many near misses i had last week with cowboys taking blind turns in the wrong side of the trail. Kinda one of the better things about riding at night, you can see the lights coming. Still, weekday riding makes for better rides. 

We have the same problem here.a lot of drunks on the trails. The only problem at night is you can't see if the guy coming at you is over far enough over so you don't lock skies. 

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So we are quitting cause we suddenly have the heebie jeebies about riding fast.    When its no longer fun, its time to quit. 

Im not quitting. My shit is getting fixed right now and then im going to be looking for snow...

4 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Where you riding alone ? For some reason I thought you were riding with a buddy ?

If so, did he not see anything going wrong either ? Any chance you blanked out for a moment just before the accident ?

Hope you get all healed up, without to much pain.

No. I was riding with a friend, I was along side him then let off and slowed down ( I would imagine as we were coming to a gate) he looked back and my sled was upside down and I was on my back.

Thanks I'm accustomed to pain but sneezing is a whole new level now.

19 hours ago, Snoslinger said:

I understand completely. I can't ride slow either, it's no fun. just a matter of time until my luck runs out. I've hit a boulder after jumping an old stone wall that wasn't there the season before. flipped end over end and landed on my back. I've had several chest plants into ditches or moguls, sprained wrists, and other limbs. missed deer by inches. my old body can't heal like it used to either :lol:

Man you don't have very good luck. I can count on one hand the times I've been ejected in over 40 years of riding. close calls that's another story. 

7 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I run for top end on the lake or the airport and a few select places on the rail bed, I like riding the trails through the woods and fields and am not all about going fast.  Never even started my sled last year, no snow, this year my first ride and I fuck up for no apparent reason on a wide trail not really going that fast 50 to 65 tops, just makes me wonder wtf.

If you are concussed, you should check with a Dr. regarding screen time. Perhaps you just had your bell rung and are fine but recovering from a concussion can take a long time and screens can fuck you up. I'm into a lot of adventure sports and unfortunately many friends have lost months of work and fun to concussions. Definitely beware of bashing your head again in the near future.

It's funny listening to people's reasons for giving up riding.

I decided it was over 3-4 years ago. Got rid of my last sled this fall. Figured that we would rent when we got the urge. I only rode once this year. The other times we were going to ride, we cancelled because the trails sucked and it wasn't worth renting. It's nowhere near as much fun as having your own studded sled and set up the way you like it but it's hassle free.

I haven't looked back. I can take a couple of flights out west or down South to surf for less money than owning sleds. A few hours trailering followed by putting gas in the sleds isn't much cheaper than driving a car to Tremblant to ski. 

The main problem is that I like to get a work out when I ride. That means riding fast, standing up and kicking the shit out of the moguls, cornering fast etc. Not like an idiot in blind corners but fast and if you can see through the trees pegging it.

The majority of sledders think my style of riding is bad for the sport. They think you should be bored and drive like an old woman.

The trouble is the sport is no longer the off-road, no rules sport it use to be. I'm glad they cracked down on the drunks but getting stopped 5 times in one day and having someone demand your papers, where you have been and where you are going takes away the freedom. Also having them set up radar on wide open fields and tagging people for exceeding 50kph (30mph) is fucking stupid. Sleds are amazing. When most sleds sold have more than 120hp and fantastic suspensions, having the speed limit the same as the 70's is dumb. I know they had to partner with the OPP for insurance purposes but they ended up giving cops  a cash cow where they could set up in a straight away and write tickets all day.

Cops are definitely better past Sudbury but trailering 6 hours for a weekend isn't my idea of fun.

I get more of a sense of freedom  hiking into off piste areas at a ski hill than I have from sledding in years.

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So we are quitting cause we suddenly have the heebie jeebies about riding fast.    When its no longer fun, its time to quit. 

For me I have no heebie jeebies about riding fast, I wasn't going that fast when it happened,. It's the fact I spend a lot of money and time on my sleds and only got to ride one in the last 2 years I got busted up does make me wonder.

13 minutes ago, small-bore said:

We have the same problem here.a lot of drunks on the trails. The only problem at night is you can't see if the guy coming at you is over far enough over so you don't lock skies. 

When i rode around your area the bars took our helmets when we walked in....and it was a 2 drink max....they kept track by putting a piece of masking tape on your helmet....do they still do that?

6 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

For me I have no heebie jeebies about riding fast, I wasn't going that fast when it happened,. It's the fact I spend a lot of money and time on my sleds and only got to ride one in the last 2 years I got busted up does make me wonder.

I basically have been out for one decent ride a couple of weeks ago, likely lowest miles to date.  I can fully understand the expense and not being worth it, better places to spend your money with a longer season.  That being said, there really isn't a better feeling of being out in nature on a sled.  Hope you stay with it.

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

If you are concussed, you should check with a Dr. regarding screen time. Perhaps you just had your bell rung and are fine but recovering from a concussion can take a long time and screens can fuck you up. I'm into a lot of adventure sports and unfortunately many friends have lost months of work and fun to concussions. Definitely beware of bashing your head again in the near future.

I decided it was over 3-4 years ago. Got rid of my last sled this fall. Figured that we would rent when we got the urge. I only rode once this year. The other times we were going to ride, we cancelled because the trails sucked and it wasn't worth renting. It's nowhere near as much fun as having your own studded sled and set up the way you like it but it's hassle free.

I haven't looked back. I can take a couple of flights out west or down South to surf for less money than owning sleds. A few hours trailering followed by putting gas in the sleds isn't much cheaper than driving a car to Tremblant to ski. 

The main problem is that I like to get a work out when I ride. That means riding fast, standing up and kicking the shit out of the moguls, cornering fast etc. Not like an idiot in blind corners but fast and if you can see through the trees pegging it.

The majority of sledders think my style of riding is bad for the sport. They think you should be bored and drive like an old woman.

The trouble is the sport is no longer the off-road, no rules sport it use to be. I'm glad they cracked down on the drunks but getting stopped 5 times in one day and having someone demand your papers, where you have been and where you are going takes away the freedom. Also having them set up radar on wide open fields and tagging people for exceeding 50kph (30mph) is fucking stupid. Sleds are amazing. When most sleds sold have more than 120hp and fantastic suspensions, having the speed limit the same as the 70's is dumb. I know they had to partner with the OPP for insurance purposes but they ended up giving cops  a cash cow where they could set up in a straight away and write tickets all day.

Cops are definitely better past Sudbury but trailering 6 hours for a weekend isn't my idea of fun.

I get more of a sense of freedom  hiking into off piste areas at a ski hill than I have from sledding in years.

If I had crashed going like hell it would have been more understandable, if I remembered what happened, I could say I won't do that again..

One thing that seems odd that I do remember, my tail bone was sore and I was pushing myself back on the seat to get the pressure of it, don't know when it was but it is possible I suppose I hit a bump or the carbide grabbed a track while I was doing that.

This happened Wed, and I do limit my screen time.

5 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I basically have been out for one decent ride a couple of weeks ago, likely lowest miles to date.  I can fully understand the expense and not being worth it, better places to spend your money with a longer season.  That being said, there really isn't a better feeling of being out in nature on a sled.  Hope you stay with it.

I love to ride, really my favorite thing to do but every year I kept hoping this would be a good year and haven't had one in many years.

It might be my age too, reflexes might not be as good as they need to be, and my teenage thoughts aren't backed up by my nearly 60 year old body. ( but god I love yoga pants)

34 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Why did I assume you weren't a sledder.:lol:

7 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I love to ride, really my favorite thing to do but every year I kept hoping this would be a good year and haven't had one in many years.

It might be my age too, reflexes might not be as good as they need to be, and my teenage thoughts aren't backed up by my nearly 60 year old body. ( but god I love yoga pants)

Teenage thoughts will be with you well into your 90's.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Im not quitting. My shit is getting fixed right now and then im going to be looking for snow...

What was the estimate total? 

2 hours ago, 1jkw said:

No. I was riding with a friend, I was along side him then let off and slowed down ( I would imagine as we were coming to a gate) he looked back and my sled was upside down and I was on my back.

Thanks I'm accustomed to pain but sneezing is a whole new level now.

We're you standing when it happened? 

2 hours ago, small-bore said:

Man you don't have very good luck. I can count on one hand the times I've been ejected in over 40 years of riding. close calls that's another story. 

His problem isn't luck, it's called he tries riding beyond his abilities. Then like the typical Liberal, tries blaming someone else for what went wrong. 

I still have my sled but I haven't bought a trail pass since my first son was born.  I keep hoping to get a decent enough winter to take it out locally with him but the weather has been garbage the last few years and it hasn't happened.  I started rebuilding airplanes around the time I "quit" sledding.  Flying requires decent weather but there's a ton more flyabke weather in the summer than there is sleddable weather in the winter.  

Glad you're okay 1jkw

:bc:

15 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

What was the estimate total? 

We're you standing when it happened? 

His problem isn't luck, it's called he tries riding beyond his abilities. Then like the typical Liberal, tries blaming someone else for what went wrong. 

I rarely stand, except over a big bump or to just stretch my legs, but I may have stood up to stretch, being where I was that is a real possibility and I hadn't thought of that.

11 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

I still have my sled but I haven't bought a trail pass since my first son was born.  I keep hoping to get a decent enough winter to take it out locally with him but the weather has been garbage the last few years and it hasn't happened.  I started rebuilding airplanes around the time I "quit" sledding.  Flying requires decent weather but there's a ton more flyabke weather in the summer than there is sleddable weather in the winter.  

Glad you're okay 1jkw

:bc:

Thanks, getting better by the hour.

Bored as hell just hanging around the house, I will say the discussion has made me think of things I wouldn't have on my own.

13 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I rarely stand, except over a big bump or to just stretch my legs, but I may have stood up to stretch, being where I was that is a real possibility and I hadn't thought of that.

I fell off my sled once coming up to a stop.  Was on a long rail road grade.  As I was standing up to stretch my legs,  I let off the gas and sled backshifted.  Running boards were icy. Next thing you know, my foot slips and off I go. Sled went in its side, hit the next roller,  and up in the air and flipped. Landed up right, still running , facing the opposite direction, down off the side of the trail.  Luckily for me , the only thing that happened to it was hand guard was pushed down, and the one side panel decal had a scratch in it.  I had a brused knee and elbow.   Could have been a lot worse.  After that, I always make sure I don't let off the gas and stand up at the same time. 

Possible that that could be what happened to you? :dunno:

10 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

I fell off my sled once coming up to a stop.  Was on a long rail road grade.  As I was standing up to stretch my legs,  I let off the gas and sled backshifted.  Running boards were icy. Next thing you know, my foot slips and off I go. Sled went in its side, hit the next roller,  and up in the air and flipped. Landed up right, still running , facing the opposite direction, down off the side of the trail.  Luckily for me , the only thing that happened to it was hand guard was pushed down, and the one side panel decal had a scratch in it.  I had a brused knee and elbow.   Could have been a lot worse.  After that, I always make sure I don't let off the gas and stand up at the same time. 

Possible that that could be what happened to you? :dunno:

I would think if I were standing the sled was already slowing down and I was off the throttle and I don't think the trail was too rough but I don't remember.

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

Imo it would be better dying doing something you love....dont quit because of this accident....just taker a bit easy from now on. :bc:

Can't argue with that, said the same thing a few years ago when a friend of mine was killed.

It wouldn't be the only reason I would quit, just the final one.

• Like 1