Probably done sledding for good.

1jkw

Went for a ride Wednesday, ended up with a concussion,  5 broken ribs, broken collar bone and 5% collapsed lung.

I was wearing a tek-vest thankfully, I don't remember a thing about what happened, the guy I was riding with told me we had been running pretty fast,I was along side him and slowed down as we were getting close to a gate area, ridden the area all my life and I usually just get off the throttle and coast rather than brake hard, he slowed down too, he said he saw a guy walking on the trail and the guy was pointing , he looked back and the sled was upside down and I was laying in the trail, so at 59 it's probably time to call it quits.

I was riding my IQR/XCR I haven't seen the sled but my friend said it really didn't hurt anything other than the Racepak..

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Holy shit dude! Glad you are not in worse shape but sounds like you are going to be sore for a bit. Take care of yourself.. :bc: 

Thanks, I sneezed once last night holy shit it hurt worse than I'd ever imagined, I'll be alright and it could have been a lot worse.

Dang man, this is no good.  High speed crashes are why I gave up trail riding and took up mountain riding.  You don't usually get hurt when mountain riding, you just die in avalanches.  Much less painful.  

Sorry about your crash.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Thanks, I sneezed once last night holy shit it hurt worse than I'd ever imagined, I'll be alright and it could have been a lot worse.

Those ribs will remind you for many months to come.  Took prolly a good six months for my ribs to stop reminding me about sledding.  10 years later I have a wrist that reminds me every morning that sledding is not worth it.

7 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Those ribs will remind you for many months to come.  Took prolly a good six months for my ribs to stop reminding me about sledding.  10 years later I have a wrist that reminds me every morning that sledding is not worth it.

I have lots of arthritis already, back, neck shoulders and knees this is the icing on the cake I guess.

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

Went for a ride Wednesday, ended up with a concussion,  5 broken ribs, broken collar bone and 5% collapsed lung.

I was wearing a tek-vest thankfully, I don't remember a thing about what happened, the guy I was riding with told me we had been running pretty fast,I was along side him and slowed down as we were getting close to a gate area, ridden the area all my life and I usually just get off the throttle and coast rather than brake hard, he slowed down too, he said he saw a guy walking on the trail and the guy was pointing , he looked back and the sled was upside down and I was laying in the trail, so at 59 it's probably time to call it quits.

I was riding my IQR/XCR I haven't seen the sled but my friend said it really didn't hurt anything other than the Racepak..

Man, sorry to hear it.  I had a pretty good bang up that ended my riding early last season.  I was damn lucky.  Same thing, it happened so fast I don't even remember being ejected.  I just looked up in time to stop the sled from rolling over me.  It will happen to most of us, sooner or later: aches, pains and new or old injuries will start to set in and make this sport less fun.  My riding this year has been curtailed because of injuries and pain also.

I have had broken ribs on several occasions myself.  It sucks.  And it seems like every freggin' breath cracks them a bit more.  A good recliner is the only way I got any sleep at all..and that usually happens after the first week!  Collar bone is just a big inconvenience.  Never had a collapsing lung so good luck with that! 

Get well and heal up...maybe it's not over yet.  But I can admit, some of my rides this year have had me backing off with a "what if...again" thought running through my mind.  Ughhhh.......Nothing worse than being last in my group.  Brutal crowd!  Fuckers!

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

:lol: does that make it worth more to you cause I can make that happen if so

:lol: Nah ill check it out. Im kinda tight in my Klim jacket so im wondering if ill need to buy a new jacket to use it. 

17 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

damn, after reading about the two local deaths this morning the wife and I are thinking about calling it quits after this season as well. hope you heal fast.

Why would you think about quitting the sport just because someone else got killed on a sled?  Do you contemplate never driving again every time someone dies in an auto accident?  Seems like you're looking for an excuse to quit sledding.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

Why would you think about quitting the sport just because someone else got killed on a sled?  Do you contemplate never driving again every time someone dies in an auto accident?  Seems like you're looking for an excuse to quit sledding.  

I've wrecked several times, so has the wife, so has our daughter. seems like there are more and more maniacs on the trails in this area. in addition I'm tired of the crappy weather and the expenses. I almost sold everything last season.

Edited by Snoslinger
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Man, sorry to hear it.  I had a pretty good bang up that ended my riding early last season.  I was damn lucky.  Same thing, it happened so fast I don't even remember being ejected.  I just looked up in time to stop the sled from rolling over me.  It will happen to most of us, sooner or later: aches, pains and new or old injuries will start to set in and make this sport less fun.  My riding this year has been curtailed because of injuries and pain also.

I have had broken ribs on several occasions myself.  It sucks.  And it seems like every freggin' breath cracks them a bit more.  A good recliner is the only way I got any sleep at all..and that usually happens after the first week!  Collar bone is just a big inconvenience.  Never had a collapsing lung so good luck with that! 

Get well and heal up...maybe it's not over yet.  But I can admit, some of my rides this year have had me backing off with a "what if...again" thought running through my mind.  Ughhhh.......Nothing worse than being last in my group.  Brutal crowd!  Fuckers!

If it happened a 1/2 mile sooner it would have been worse but at least understandable, was probably going 1/2 as fast and slowing down on nearly a straightaway, only know that because I was told exactly where it happened and I know the area very well.

2 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

I've wrecked several times, so has the wife, so has our daughter. seems like there are more and more maniacs on the trails in this area. in addition I'm tired of the crappy weather and the expenses. I almost sold everything last season.

Ill agree with that. Thats why i like the weekday rides and we start early in the morning and park them not long after dark. Seems like the yahoos start getting warmed up around 2pm.

Just now, Anler said:

Ill agree with that. Thats why i like the weekday rides and we start early in the morning and park them not long after dark. Seems like the yahoos start getting warmed up around 2pm.

tug hill is especially bad. they often get pounded with lake effect, attracting riders from all over the place when they don't have snow. i'll often see people boozing it up before noon. we're also losing local trails in our area, because of a-holes who ignore signage and warnings. just a matter of time until they won't be able to connect all the trails together. then there's the weather. I think our trails were open a few days last season (I didn't even register it was so bad) now this season they've been open less than a week total.

8 minutes ago, Back Country Rebel said:

I know you asked Slinger, but the odd thing is I talked to my bil about giving it up the night before as I didn't ride at all last year and this was to be my first ride this year, the winters have been shit here not even cold enough to ride on the lake and have some fun, to ride upstate NY is about 4 hrs. trailering.

When I looked up at my wife and daughter looking at me on the gurney it made me feel pretty bad, then my 7 year old grandson called and was upset I really felt like shit.