The 2017 Iron Dog Thread

Just now, Back Country Rebel said:

All true.  But, if they know they have a refuelling issue and they know it's against the rules for a non racer to touch their sleds then you would think the team mates would help each other by pushing down on each others sleds.  It may take a few minutes longer to refuel but no one would question whether they broke the rules or not.  

I was thinking the same thing. It would cost them a few each stop. You would think a heavily sponsored team like this would have such a small detail figured out. Maybe they found a loop hole in the rule book? Time will tell.

The Poo of Team 5 recovered from the checkpoint in Poorman.  I heard Jerrod may donate it to the Vocational Tech school in Galena.  Kids can tear it apart and........... probably sell what few parts are worth salvaging....... 

16939658_1757489624568252_28070649863788

Edited by Back Country Rebel
  • Like 1

I had no idea the coverage on this race was as terrible as it was until today.  KTUU's latest headline posted 3 hours to their facebook page says "Team 8 first to leave Nome"....which was 2 days ago.

At the halfway point, this photo was associated with their 2 paragraph update:

320x180_20430B00-XMYMR1.jpg

Cory Davis is absolutely crushing it on the 2001 Panther 550

Seems most 'Alaska' new outlets don't take the Iron Dog very seriously.  Here is KTUU's "update".  Five hours ago they were letting us know what happened back in Nome:

"First team off the starting line Thursday was Tyson Johnson and Tyler Akelstad, sneaking into first after quick wrench times on Wednesday.

Following close behind was both team 16 and team 41. As these top three teams seem to stay consist at the top of the leader board for the first part of the race.

After leaving Nome teams take a 10 hour layover in Kaltag. 

The race is expected to finish Saturday in Fairbanks."

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 11.11.17 PM.png

Edited by hunt_ak
  • Like 1

They had no choice.  Sad for TNT.

Iron Dog Marshals

24 mins · 

The Iron Dog requires racers to receive fuel only in designated checkpoints with very specific rules and procedures. We make one exception for the trail section between Ruby and Tanana because it is the longest distance between checkpoints. It can be difficult for teams to carry enough fuel even with auxiliary tanks under certain trail conditions to make that distance. The rules were written so teams could stage fuel and oil between Ruby and Tanana, but otherwise not allowed to receive any other assistance.

This rule was discussed at length in the drivers meeting before the race. The Lead Marshal read aloud Rule 13.2.1 to all the racers and reiterated that no physical contact with the snowmachines was allowed when fueling in this area by anyone other than the racers, which applies to all other locations with the exception of Nome.

The Marshals found evidence that Team 8 received outside assistance. The crew providing fuel between Ruby and Tanana made physical contact with the racer’s snowmobiles. Rule 13.2.1 is one of the only penalties that is explicitly specified within the rules. The Marshals have determined that Team 8 violated Rule 13.2.1 and 13.2.2. The penalty for those violations is disqualification as specified in Rule 13.2.3.

The Marshals have disqualified Team 8 for violating Rule 13.2.

###

RULE 13 - GAS STOPS AND FUELING

13.1. All racers are required to use the fuel provided by Iron Dog and only by dispensing directly into the snowmobile from official gas stops. Iron Dog® provides fuel at designated checkpoints and ONLY at the express checkpoint at North Pole.

13.2. Racers will be permitted to receive outside help for fuel and engine oil ONLY between the checkpoints of Ruby and Tanana.

13.2.1. NO OTHER ASSISTANCE OF ANY KIND INCLUDING PHYSICAL CONTACT WITH THE PIT CREW WILL BE PERMITTED.

13.2.2. Participants will be personally responsible for ALL aspects of these operations including the actions of their pit crew, costs, removal of ALL trash and containers, pollution control and cleanup (IF REQUIRED), safety, and all liabilities.

13.2.3. PARTICIPANTS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF ANY PART OF THIS FUELING PROCEDURE IS NEGLECTED.

8 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Fill a Doo with a 5 gal can is painfull. It would suck for this team to get pinched on this?:pc:

Just need the right can. I can dump 2 vented wide mouths in no more time than using a pump. After Stella used my can he ordered the same spout. 

Holy cows !!!!!!  This is not going to go over well at all. And Kyle when you're talking about hate , yeah I'm seeing a lot of hate already.  Rules are rules and it sucks because in every checkpoint or fill up there so many people that are standing around the snow machine. A rider has got to have his eyes looking around him when refueling is going on. WOW !

my coworker just ordered to me as were discussing this. He says .... If  you ain't Cheating , you ain't trying . It does happen out there more than people think . 

Edited by farmereddie
My spelling issues

2 minutes ago, farmereddie said:

Holy cows !!!!!!  This is not going to go over well at all. And Kyle when you're talking about hate , yeah I'm seeing a lot of hate already.  Rules are rules and it sucks because in every checkpoint or fill up there so many people that are standing around the snow machine. A writers got to have his eyes go on all rode him well this is going on. WOW !

my coworker just ordered to me as were discussing this. He says .... If  you ain't Cheating , you ain't trying . It does happen out there more than people think . 

Yeah its a legit 'shitstorm' online at the moment.  Moreover its a few loud and boisterous commenters who are, and its hard to blame them, way upset about the decision.  

OK I'm at work I'm working today , thinking that there are also some pissed off Taco Bell lovers too. No free taco ...... alittle humor.  The picture tells me that this is not the only team to do this. I wonder if more photos will surface in light of this situation. 

Question I have, did they really need that extra half gallon or so of gas to finish getting to where they needed to get to?  If not, that was a huge gamble for nothing gained in the end.  

Who'd a thought, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere Alaska, there's still someone with a camera and access to social media.  You just can't hide anywhere anymore.

7 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I'll be interested in hearing the comments from the 41 team as IMO if they win it will  be a hollow victory.

I mentioned that as well....they know they're only going to win on a technicality....

6 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

I'll be interested in hearing the comments from the 41 team as IMO if they win it will  be a hollow victory.

Yeah , team 41 was looking to run run them boys down .  What a crazy situation man. Damn cameras will kill you just as much to reward you . 

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, hunt_ak said:

I mentioned that as well....they know they're only going to win on a technicality....

1 minute ago, farmereddie said:

Yeah , team 41 was looking to run run them boys down .  What a crazy situation man. Damn cameras will kill you just as much to reward you . 

Don't think the 41 could have overcome that lead.

6 minutes ago, hayward said:

Question I have, did they really need that extra half gallon or so of gas to finish getting to where they needed to get to?  If not, that was a huge gamble for nothing gained in the end.  

Who'd a thought, in the middle of bumfuck nowhere Alaska, there's still someone with a camera and access to social media.  You just can't hide anywhere anymore.

That didn't look like a regular gas stop to me that I've seen in the past. It looks like it was people out of the trail  on the side of the trail waiting for riders to come along looking for gas.  Because of the checkpoints there are usually either popping out of 55 gallon drums or out of a large fuel tank.  Yeah that's Frankie's village , not too mention. The discovery show is done there. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, farmereddie said:

That didn't look like a regular gas stop to me that I've seen in the past. It looks like it was people out of the trail  on the side of the trail waiting for riders to come along looking for gas.  Because of the checkpoints there are usually either popping out of 55 gallon drums or out of a large fuel tank.  Yeah that's Frankie's village , not too mention. The discovery show is done there. 

Between Ruby and Tananna fuel can be brought to the racers but there can still be no other assistance is how I read it.

31 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Between Ruby and Tananna fuel can be brought to the racers but there can still be no other assistance is how I read it.

Yes I agree. It's just that if they're out on the trail why would you be concerned about getting as much gas do you already had. All you need is just a little splash and dash to the next check point . Unless this bus planned shortly after they left Ruby .......