Unless something changes, Capitalism will starve the planet by 2050

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Not necessarily. We went from something like 40% of people working on farms to 2%. Imagine what people would say if you asked them in the 1890's what the rest of these people would be doing for jobs and where all the food would come from, they wouldn't have the slightest idea because it's impossible to know what the future will bring.

What took them away from the farms?  Technology.  Farming went from manual labour to automated with tractors etc after the advent of the internal combustion engine.  Where did those farms workers go?  They moved to the city and got jobs in manufacturing.  What's happening in manufacturing?  Automation is replacing all the jobs along with AI replacing white collar jobs.  Where do people move to  when that happens and what do they do?

Edited by ICEMAN!

5 minutes ago, ICEMAN! said:

What took them away from the farms?  Technology.  Farming went from manual labour to automated with tractors etc after the advent of the internal combustion engine.  Where did those farms workers go?  They moved to the city and got jobs in manufacturing.  What's happening in manufacturing?  Automation is replacing all the jobs along with AI replacing white collar jobs.  Where do people move to  when that happens and what do they do?

The service industry.

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

What took them away from the farms?  Technology.  Farming went from manual labour to automated with tractors etc after the advent of the internal combustion engine.  Where did those farms workers go?  They moved to the city and got jobs in manufacturing.  What's happening in manufacturing?  Automation is replacing all the jobs along with AI replacing white collar jobs?  Where do people move to  when that happens and what do they do?

More jobs supporting the tech industry for one.........Electricians, systems techs, support reps, sales people, account reps.

Not to mention all of the jobs that don't yet exist. 

6 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Those are human achievements in spite of capitalism, not because of it. 

Is there a chart from any non capitalist countries you'd like to use as a comparison?

Just now, SSFB said:

More jobs supporting the tech industry for one.........Electricians, systems techs, support reps, sales people, account reps.

So we're all going to get jobs working on the robots that replaced us?

Just now, motonoggin said:

So we're all going to get jobs working on the robots that replaced us?

Yes, just like the farmers who got jobs at factories and shops to build and fix tractors that replaced them on the farms.

:snack:

Just now, motonoggin said:

Lol. That's a global graph dude.

I know, but there should be a chart from a non capitalist country with good gains that would show your point, right?

Just now, SSFB said:

Yes, just like the farmers who got jobs at factories and shops to build and fix tractors that replaced them on the farms.

:snack:

Uh huh, because we all know the berry pickers just got retrained for tractor school and they all lived happily ever after, the end.

Sounds utopian, but ok.

3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Uh huh, because we all know the berry pickers just got retrained for tractor school and they all lived happily ever after, the end.

Sounds utopian, but ok.

I gave an example on the historical record of humans working on the machines that replaced them, that's what you asked for without saying so. :bc:

The people proclaiming the impending doom are falling victim to the same flaws in human reasoning that the past generations did. The historical trend is an improvement in the world and there's little reason to think that the trend will change. 

Just now, SSFB said:

I know, but there should be a chart from a non capitalist country with good gains that would show your point, right?

Arguably Russia went from a backwards agrarian wasteland to a global superpower in a matter of decades, so there's that. Not really communism by my standards, but it is by normie standards.

But I'm sure you'll say it led to massive death and destruction, which is absolutely true. What will bother me the most is you will say it while denying capitalism has done the same.

5 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Arguably Russia went from a backwards agrarian wasteland to a global superpower in a matter of decades, so there's that. Not really communism by my standards, but it is by normie standards.

But I'm sure you'll say it led to massive death and destruction, which is absolutely true. What will bother me the most is you will say it while denying capitalism has done the same.

What percentage of Russia's people were living in poverty before and after? I'm betting the gap isn't nearly as wide.

Capitalism didn't cause any of the genocide, government did. Capitalism exists in many cases without genocide. Communism without genocide however is an outlier. Can you name an instance in which genocide exists without government being there?

15 minutes ago, SSFB said:

There aren't going to be enough jobs that don't exist yet to replace the ones that will be wiped out by robots and AI.  It simply will not happen, especially when the disruption will be so widespread across all sectors of the economy and list of professions.

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

There aren't going to be enough jobs that don't exist yet to replace the ones that will be wiped out by robots and AI.  It simply will not happen, especially when the disruption will be so widespread across all sectors of the economy and list of professions.

If you told someone in the 1890's that so few people would be working on farms in 30 years they'd say the same thing.

Just now, SSFB said:

If you told someone in the 1890's that so few people would be working on farms in 30 years they'd say the same thing.

People will end up doing what humans are good at vs machines.  Interacting with other people, art, music.  Social occupations and pastimes.  Manual labour and data crunching/research will be automated.

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

People will end up doing what humans are good at vs machines.  Interacting with other people, art, music.  Social occupations and pastimes.  Manual labour and data crunching/research will be automated.

I don't disagree with that. 

Repetitive jobs will absolutely be outsourced and soon. 

8 minutes ago, SSFB said:

What percentage of Russia's people were living in poverty before and after? I'm betting the gap isn't nearly as wide.

Capitalism didn't cause any of the genocide, government did. Capitalism exists in many cases without genocide. Communism without genocide however is an outlier. Can you name an instance in which genocide exists without government being there?

Capitalism cannot exist without government. Lmao. 

The fact is, the vast majority of death and destruction taking place right now is being done by capitalist governments.

Nothing in this world is done unless it makes somebody a buck, good and bad. Expecting that kind of system to lead to the best conditions for humanity is completely foolish. 

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

The days of having a job for 30 years without learning new skills are gone. People are going to have to stay on top of things and learn new skills to stay competitive in the job market. :bc:

Just now, SSFB said:

The days of having a job for 30 years without learning new skills are gone. People are going to have to stay on top of things and learn new skills to stay competitive in the job market. :bc:

It's tough to even say that.  What skills do you invest in?  If there is any chance it can be automated, you're doomed and on top of that there won't be enough jobs to go around.  This is why universal basic income is being discussed so widely right now.