Dodge Ram or Nissan Titan XD

Sksman

I can't see how you couldn't tow anything with the Hemi and the 8 speed, I drive 80+K a year and think about diesel every truck but with any foresight to an oncoming hill you can roll up at max GVWR for a half ton and never go past 3600 RPM. Even the 6 spd is good in 4th gear. I'd only consider the 2500/3500 Cummins or Duramax with ext warranty and the resale is great on them. 

On 2/16/2017 at 10:16 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Do you need diesel?  My F150 5.4 handles more than 4 times what I need to tow.  2010 75K about 14 L/100km combined and zero issues to date.

Depends on what you tow and how often I guess.....I went with a gas 2500 which works great for my uses, having a diesel for towing would be nice, but do not tow often enough or enough weight to justify it. Yes they cost more, but you generally get that premium back when you sell....and if you buy when they are offering the diesel upgrade for free, bonus.

Keep in mind the EVIC numbers are generally pipe dream number.....try to hand calculate your fuel mileage numbers once in a while to see what the real numbers are (if you care or are so inclined - which I am not)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Depends on what you tow and how often I guess.....I went with a gas 2500 which works great for my uses, having a diesel for towing would be nice, but do not tow often enough or enough weight to justify it. Yes they cost more, but you generally get that premium back when you sell....and if you buy when they are offering the diesel upgrade for free, bonus.

Keep in mind the EVIC numbers are generally pipe dream number.....try to hand calculate your fuel mileage numbers once in a while to see what the real numbers are (if you care or are so inclined - which I am not)

From what I have read, the Ram's are pretty accurate. I know my 13 Hemi gets better mpg than my 09 5.3 Sierra did, but looking the GM dash, it would show differently. :true:

Just over 50,000 km's on mine now and so far so good. I still love the truck, and it pulls anything I own, including my tank of a Yamaha, with ease. 

IMG_1168 (Large).JPG

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

One out of warranty diesel repair bill will eat up any gas savings over the gas truck, and then some. 

Higher purchase price, spendy routine maintenance, spendy unscheduled repairs...... they're just not worth it unless you absolutely need max pulling power.  Sled trailers and small boats can be towed with a Civic. 

Most diesel owners are fooling themselves, if they actually did the math. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Not that much really and mainly use the Wrangler for the light towing I do.  Its much easier for tight spots.  Have the truck for light towing but mainly for the extra room.  Really do not put a lot of miles on any of our vehicles, it has 75K in 7 years < 15 K per year so gas mileage is of little concern.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:23 AM, atc said:

Delete is great but when you have the MOE doing road side checks all over the gta. It makes it tough

Up in Peterborough area too for the last few years as well. Spotted a lifted GMC Dmax parked on the side of Highway 7 out by Gateway a year or so ago. Two white and green provincial pick ups behind it & an OPP vehicle. Bro has been pulled over in his Dmax by the Ministry of Revenue & had his tank dipped, checking for dyed fuel.

He tows a 5er, so has a use for it. I really can't see spending 80Gs for a mall crawler.

27 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Up in Peterborough area too for the last few years as well. Spotted a lifted GMC Dmax parked on the side of Highway 7 out by Gateway a year or so ago. Two white and green provincial pick ups behind it & an OPP vehicle. Bro has been pulled over in his Dmax by the Ministry of Revenue & had his tank dipped, checking for dyed fuel.

He tows a 5er, so has a use for it. I really can't see spending 80Gs for a mall crawler.

They did a quick inspect on my titan diesel too. I stated there is nothing really out yet for a delete. 

• Like 1

Its tough to justify the new purchase cost on pretty much any pick up there days.  Look at any truck with leather seats and its $50++.

And worth $40,000 after your first day of ownership.

Most likely going to be used for me.  

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Its tough to justify the new purchase cost on pretty much any pick up there days.  Look at any truck with leather seats and its $50++.

And worth $40,000 after your first day of ownership.

Most likely going to be used for me.  

If your financing 

The ram isn't a bad deal right now. With rebates and dealer discount most are 12-$14000 off with the 0% 84mth. 

For my needs in 1/2 ton form there isn't many options. Ram, tundra and 1/2 ton titan have no payload for your average travel trailer. I'm not a fan of gm's driving feel. The titan diesel has major new model issues. The gas version has been good but gets similar economy to first generation titan.  So that leaves me stuck with the ford. Lots of payload when setup right and when comparing option for option one of the better deals. 

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

What Ford do you have now ATC?

XLT super crew sport 6.5 box 

Fx4 3.5 ecoboost with max tow package. It's got about 1700 lbs payload and rated for over 11000 lbs tow. 

Took my chances with panoramic roof again, knock on wood so far not rattling. Still my favorite feature. Never opened the last one much just like the openness of the glass roof.

20170215_081845.jpg

20170215_081904.jpg

• Like 1

Lol. Boys, if the only way to make your payments is to spread it over 84 MONTHS........ you need to reconsider your finances!

16 hours ago, atc said:

If your financing 

The ram isn't a bad deal right now. With rebates and dealer discount most are 12-$14000 off with the 0% 84mth. 

For my needs in 1/2 ton form there isn't many options. Ram, tundra and 1/2 ton titan have no payload for your average travel trailer. I'm not a fan of gm's driving feel. The titan diesel has major new model issues. The gas version has been good but gets similar economy to first generation titan.  So that leaves me stuck with the ford. Lots of payload when setup right and when comparing option for option one of the better deals. 

9 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Lol. Boys, if the only way to make your payments is to spread it over 84 MONTHS........ you need to reconsider your finances!

At 0% for 84 months you would be a fool not to take advantage. Rather than shell out $60K in one lump sum for a truck, keep your money invested and earning a much higher ROI. Even shortening the term is foolish at 0%. Make it last as long as you can earning ROI for as long as you can.

Thanks, Captain Obvious, for informing us that 0% is a good rate.  You missed the point of affordability entirely.  However, now that we're back on the subject, they will always get their money somehow.  If you opt for the 0%, they will be instructed to lower the price by a much lower amount.  So that 0%..... ain't exactly.  Sounds good though. 

At 0% for 84 months you would be a fool not to take advantage. Rather than shell out $60K in one lump sum for a truck, keep your money invested and earning a much higher ROI. Even shortening the term is foolish at 0%. Make it last as long as you can earning ROI for as long as you can.

37 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Thanks, Captain Obvious, for informing us that 0% is a good rate.  You missed the point of affordability entirely.  However, now that we're back on the subject, they will always get their money somehow.  If you opt for the 0%, they will be instructed to lower the price by a much lower amount.  So that 0%..... ain't exactly.  Sounds good though. 

Dodge is 0% for 84 months.  There is no price adjustment if you finance or not.  

GM i believe has 0% or "X" dollars off price.  In that case the 0 % is still costing and you may be better paying up front.

So if the Ram truck is the same price financed or not why not finance it at 0%?  

By financing a truck over 84 months my work vehicle allowance covers the cost.  

Go into the dealer and tell them you're paying cash for a truck and work out your best deal.  Then, at the last minute, tell them "no, I'll take the 84 months".  Let me know how you make out.  :) 

Obviously, they'll always incentify having the money up front, and why wouldn't they?  Wouldn't you?  84 months of lost interest on $70,000 x hundreds of thousands of vehicles is significant. 

Nothing is free in life unfortunately, despite what the promo says.  :)  But certainly hard to argue with 0% financing if you're happy with the negotiated price. 

In any case, I was commenting more on the long finance terms that are now available..... and where will it stop?.  People will still be paying for those vehicles when they're nearly value-less.  I know...... they're not investments, etc....... Lol

8 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Dodge is 0% for 84 months.  There is no price adjustment if you finance or not.  

GM i believe has 0% or "X" dollars off price.  In that case the 0 % is still costing and you may be better paying up front.

So if the Ram truck is the same price financed or not why not finance it at 0%?  

By financing a truck over 84 months my work vehicle allowance covers the cost.  

Edited by Puzzleboy

4 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Go into the dealer and tell them you're paying cash for a truck and work out your best deal.  Then, at the last minute, tell them "no, I'll take the 84 months".  Let me know how you make out.  :) 

Obviously, they'll always incentify having the money up front, and why wouldn't they?  Wouldn't you?  84 months of lost interest on $70,000 x hundreds of thousands of vehicles is significant. 

Nothing is free in life unfortunately, despite what the promo says.  :)  But certainly hard to argue with 0% financing if you're happy with the negotiated price. 

In any case, I was commenting more on the long finance terms that are now available..... and where will it stop?.  People will still be paying for those vehicles when they're nearly value-less.  I know...... they're not investments, etc....... Lol

I am looking for a new truck now.  Sat down with salesman at 3 different Chrysler dealerships.  They are giving $11,000 to 12,000 off sticker price on vehicle plus 0% financing.  Thet all said same thing.  You get same deal with 0% or cash.  Ploy?  I dont know how they are doing it but they are.  Unless all window stickers at all chrysler dealers are inflated the same on msrp?  Over and above normal msrp.

I sell construction equipment for a living.  We buy and sell every day. I completely understand the costs and know somewhere someone is paying but it must by Chrysler on this one.  

6 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Well puzzlefool. Depends on the deal being offered and the make of truck for starters. Some offer a further discount for cash and some DON'T. If you do the math in most cases the discount for cash doesn't come close to offsetting the ROI you earn by keeping your money invested. You said if someone finances over 84 months they need to reconsider their finances. I'd rather keep as much of my money invested earning 8.5% as I can while paying out at the 0 or even 3%. So financing $60K for 84 months for a lot of people keeping the payments as low as possible isn't necessarily bad. The other aspect is those finance contracts tend to be fully open allowing additional payments at any time. I would finance over the 84 months on paper but make the payments to be clear of the debt in say 48 if I was paying interest which wouldn't happen. The benefit being that if something occurred to impact their finances, such as an unexpected major expense they I wouldn't be tied to the payments for the 48 month scenario. The contract only required the much smaller 84 month term payment. 

5 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I go into the dealer knowing what their cost is. There are in fact two dealer costs. One if you look in their cost book is just dealer cost and the other is "cost with holdback". The holdback is based on the dealer sales volumes and the manufacturer gives them the holdback based on meeting the criteria. When there has been an additional incentive for cash it has never been enough to offset the ROI by holding onto my money and making the payments at 0%. The last one I believe was $1500 off for cash. The price I pay is the dealer bottom line cost plus $500 which we agreed is fair to them and fair to me. 

7 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

No I think ram is being extra aggressive this month as they almost caught chev last month in the sales north America wide.

Like I said I am seeing $13000+ plus discount at 0%. With there typical 2.99 to 3.99% you may squeeze  $15000 to $17000 off. But that doesn't come anywhere near the current offer. If you don't have a spare $60,000.