Will Trump's SC nominee be confirmed?

• Platinum Contributing Member

No question we are living in some of the most profound political times of a generation.  When the filibuster option was put in the Senate rules it was put in to slow govt down as well as center the govt.  Needing 60 votes (by Senate rules only) for laws and confirmations meant the minority party had a voice.  Things get done in the house in a much faster, more "emotional" fashion.  It makes sense because their term is just 2 years so the Senate is there to put the brakes on.   

When Harry Reid and the dems started messing with the Senate rules and used the partial nuclear option it opened the door for this to be done on SC nominations as well as regular legislation.  Most people don't understand and the news doesn't often talk that part of a nuclear option can include bills that go to the Presidents desk.  Now I'm sure the dems will say the GOP had threatened the nuclear option in the past which both had but none really ever did at least until the dems in 2013.  

Personally I think the filibuster rules have contributed to our govt growing to such an enormous size and BOTH parties are guilty of this.  It contributed to the you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours that costs taxpayers so much.  I say both parties because many Republicans voted for a change in some Senate procedures as long as both sides were allowed 2 amendments to each bill.

This brings up whether or not Trump's first SC nominee will get through.   The dems face an uphill battle.   7 of the 8 needed dems have already indicated they do not want a filibuster.  8 or 10 dem Senators are up for re-election in 2018 in states Trump won.   Many that he won with large margins so cloture is possible even if a filibuster occurs.

Here are some things that could happen.

1. Dems filibuster no matter what.   They do this because Obama's candidate was not even taken to committee or they hate Trump period or they simply do not like the nominee which will be hard to fight with a man of this character.  This goes on for a few days so they get their press time and stop or the GOP gets enough votes to evoke cloture and the candidate gets passed by less votes needed than it took to evoke cloture.   This way the Senators who are facing re-election can say they weren't obstructionists but also play to the base by voting against.    

2. Dems realize this is already replacing a conservative seat on the bench, don't want the nuclear option because a number of other SC seats may come up in the next 4-8 years and figure to save a fight for a liberal justices' retirement.  

3. Dems filibuster and the GOP expands Reid's nuclear option rather quickly to include SC nominee's and maybe even legislation.  

4. Dems filibuster and the GOP gives them 2-4 days to look like obstructionists then does the nuclear option.    

Personally I think number 1 will happen.   Schumer and other dems are besides themselves for a number of reasons of which most are superficial to placate to their base.  I think they want the GOP to use the nuclear option but I don't think they will have to because cloture will be done.  

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member

Ya.  He will be confirmed easily.  Trump is playing the dems and giving that party just enough rope to hang themselves before midterms.  They put up a fight they look bad amongst swing states and if the dems dont fight this they look bad in their voting bases eyes.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Ya.  He will be confirmed easily.  Trump is playing the dems and giving that party just enough rope to hang themselves before midterms.  They put up a fight they look bad amongst swing states and if the dems dont fight this they look bad in their voting bases eyes.

This.  And it gives their admin all kinds of time for other things while blaming the Dems for hold ups.  It cannot be laid out for him any better!

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Pubs deserve some suffering over this after not being willing to move forward a qualified Obama candidate.  Almost a shame the pubs won because shoving a complete liberal douche up their ass is what they deserved for that.  

Calm down.  You are incorrect anyway.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Cold War said:

Not really losing anything. Conservative for conservative.

When the crypt keeper dies they will be in for the fight of their lives. 

Yep if the dems are smart they will save it for her however people predict Kennedy will be next to retire and he can kind of be a wildcard.  

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if it makes a difference in our divided country, but going after single appointment, at the very least, has to cause people to tune out.  It is like white noise.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

From what I am hearing, it sounds like a lot of the Dems are on board with this guy.  He really seems like a good pick.  

I just heard the opposite.  :lol:

Haven't really heard why they opose him other than he is.......... Dangerous!