White Death - 40 years ago today....

Puzzleboy

My dad reminded me today of the storm (the 28th).  We never saw anything like it before or since.  Lake Erie froze over that winter, and the snow it dumped into NY state and Niagara was unreal.  We lived in Fenwick at the time.  My dad rescued my mom who was stranded in her car, out on the '73 Lynx.  He spent days hauling groceries for people in a homemade cutter he built, behind his old 399.  There were complaints by people of snowmobiles riding over their rooftops, wrecking t.v. antennae, etc.

Check out some of the pics in the second link. 

The original cutline reads, 'Their snowmobile parked atop a snow drift which all but covers this bus, two men check out the vehicle on Tice Road near Effingham late yesterday. The bus had to be abandoned late Friday when it became stuck in drifts and the youngsters trudged to a nearby farmhouse. Many roads in the part of the Niagara Region remain plugged today and Standard staff photographer Mike Conley reported going heavy, even on main roads, while on his picture-taking foray yesterday.'  St. Catharines Standard/ Postmedia Network

http://www.chch.com/40th-anniversary-blizzard-77/

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/01/26/niagara-closeup-blizzard-of-77-40-years-ago

Yep, not a DICK like the Puzzler.

He mentioned hauling 80 dozen eggs..... Lol.  High school auto shops were keeping broken sleds running (Polarii, etc......)

I think we had snow days for about 4-5 days. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

He mentioned hauling 80 dozen eggs..... Lol.  High school auto shops were keeping broken sleds running (Polarii, etc......)

The 4 days off from Kindergarten must have really set you back.  Still taking the 15 minute sleep time?

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yep when Polarii are the only sled that worked people stepped up to the plate.

6 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I dunno Poncho, looks like an Elan on top of that bus.  We're talking deep snow here, before longtracks existed. 

The Polarii slugs were likely stuck long before they broke down.....

10 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I dunno Poncho, looks like an Elan on top of that bus.  We're talking deep snow here, before longtracks existed. 

The Polarii slugs were likely stuck long before they broke down.....

the Elan luggage rack was a standard option for every school bus...they were no good as a snowmobile, so why not.  

Where in Fenwick did you live? I have many friends in that area. The Blizzard of '77 is the reason why Welland (where I'm from) has a standing bylaw allowing snowmobiles on the side of the road. Members of the Welland Snowmobile Club and the Rose City Snow Seekers (maybe, not sure when they became a club) did a lot for the community to help people in need. As well as helping stranded people they also shuttled nurses to and from the Welland Hospital to make sure people were taken care of. 

My Dad made it home to Welland from St. Catharines where he worked in the early afternoon of the first day in his '71 MGB. The 406 was closed but he got on and cruised in 2nd gear the whole way. The wind almost ripped the convertible top off the car at one point! My Mother was stuck at school in Cooks Mills and my Grandfather walked from John Deere in Dain City to my parents house in Welland with a half froze bottle of whiskey in his pocket!

On the 40th anniversary I wish my Dad was still here so he could tell me the story of the ride home in his car and how  bad it really was.

Edited by politicallyincorrect

You weren't alone.  Lol.  My Dad says Henry used to cheat at every turn to be the fastest sled.  Although he did cross Lake Ontario on a Formula Plus.  Kudos to him!

Full Throttle are good guys; customers of my dad's. 

On 28/01/2017 at 11:07 PM, Puzzleboy said:

You weren't alone.  Lol.  My Dad says Henry used to cheat at every turn to be the fastest sled.

He held a few summer water races at his place early 80's. Was a good event lots of spectators and sleds. He ran a 440 in the 340 class. The tech guys worked for him....... Nothing like stacking the deck....