Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

On 1/22/2019 at 8:22 AM, Zambroski said:

I don't give two hot fucks about peeling warning labels off of shit.  Now, removing foam from the inside of the panels...yuh...that's a shit project.

I own Cat.  So, I'm also "experienced".  LOL

I am trying to figure out how to keep my tunnel recycling sticker from coming off .it is my favorite part of the graphics package 

Well I had my ego bruised a little last weekend and I am hoping someone might have an idea of what happened.

So I had a buddy visiting and he was using my 07 Arctic Cat 600 CFR with a 136" 1/4" ripsaw and I was on my 08 Polaris d7 switchback with a 144" 2" paddle track. We were racing in a little lake that had about 6" of crusty up top and sugar underneath with some packed paths from sleds.

We take off. I get the holeshot by a good stretch. Then that CFR starts reeling me in. I look at the gauge and I am screaming 8250 rpms but my sled will not climb above 62 mph. My buddy passes me on the 600.

So I start a GPS speed app on my phone and make another pass on the lake. 61 mph. This is the third IQ I have owned.

Wtf. I know the gearing was changed but the previous owner gave me a bunch of paperwork and it shows the new gears he put in, which I have confirmed, and my top speed according to the chart should be 93 mph. I have owned a 07 600 and a 2010 d6 switchback and both of them were 100 mph on the dream-o-meter.

The engine is reving out. New belt this year. It seems decent down on the bottom. Lots of low end grunt. Not hesitations. Anyone have a clue why it is such a turd up top?

Edited by Tomas.

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Well I had my ego bruised a little last weekend and I am hoping someone might have an idea of what happened.

So I had a buddy visiting and he was using my 07 Arctic Cat 600 CFR with a 136" 1/4" ripsaw and I was on my 08 Polaris d7 switchback with a 144" 2" paddle track. We were racing in a little lake that had about 6" of crusty up top and sugar underneath with some packed paths from sleds.

We take off. I get the holeshot by a good stretch. Then that CFR starts reeling me in. I look at the gauge and I am screaming 8250 rpms but my sled will not climb above 62 mph. My buddy passes me on the 600.

So I start a GPS speed app on my phone and make another pass on the lake. 61 mph. This is the third IQ I have owned.

Wtf. I know the gearing was changed but the previous owner gave me a bunch of paperwork and it shows the new gears he put in, which I have confirmed, and my top speed according to the chart should be 93 mph. I have owned a 07 600 and a 2010 d6 switchback and both of them were 100 mph on the dream-o-meter.

The engine is reving out. New belt this year. It seems decent down on the bottom. Lots of low end grunt. Not hesitations. Anyone have a clue why it is such a turd up top?

You have a clutch problem.  One of them isn't shifting out.  Look for flat rollers on the primary.  Take the secondary apart and look inside for damaged rollers, a seized shaft bushing or a damaged helix.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

One or both of your clutches need work.  Could be either or both.  Something is not allowing you to shift out fully.  

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You have a clutch problem.  One of them isn't shifting out.  Look for flat rollers on the primary.  Take the secondary apart and look inside for damaged rollers, a seized shaft bushing or a damaged helix.  

I was wondering if it was clutches some how. Sounds like something I shouldn't be riding until I get the clutches figured out?

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

I was wondering if it was clutches some how. Sounds like something I shouldn't be riding until I get the clutches figured out?

If I was to guess your secondary ( driven ) clutch isn't opening.

• Like 1

Sitting around in Old Forge itching to ride tomorrow... the boredom is real. Now I like the way my G4 XRS has handled so far, but I've got a set of USI X2 Triple Threats laying around the garage collecting dust. Should I try to fix something that ain't broke or stick to the stockers?

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i was never a fan of 5.7's in anything besides hardpack

They were fantastic in hardpack, definitely still good but not quite as good in the softer conditions last week and it looks like this weekend is gonna be a lot of fresh snow riding, on past sleds the increased steering effort was a real pain in the ass though so I'm still going back and forth on whether or not it's worth it.

9 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

6.9's would be a better choice for soft snow that still will turn easy

I have run DS2's for my last 15k miles and they are overall good,  prior to that i put about the same on Slydogs which steered a bit harder but not much.  

The 5.7's are definitely good enough that I'm not going and buying skis, but the USI's are just sitting there begging to be put on a sled again.

1 hour ago, Wildboer said:

The 5.7's are definitely good enough that I'm not going and buying skis, but the USI's are just sitting there begging to be put on a sled again.

You have a set of USI's and they aren't on a sled?  

And I'm the weirdo...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You have a set of USI's and they aren't on a sled?  

And I'm the weirdo...

We have 2 sets actually... I was in the garage debating whether I'd put on the all black pair or the grey pair with black loops. You haven't noticed a huge increase in steering effort? They were pretty rough on the XP chassis.

Before I make any bad decisions, does anyone know how to tear apart a team secondary clutch for a 2008 Polaris IQ? Do I need special tools? I can't find hardly any information or vids online

You can remove the helix with any special tools but will need a clutch compression tool to remove the spring. make sure you have the correct torx for the helix screws,,heat them slightly to loosen the loctite.The secondary springs are minimum 100lbs+ so don't try it by hand.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, HSR said:

You can remove the helix with any special tools but will need a clutch compression tool to remove the spring. make sure you have the correct torx for the helix screws,,heat them slightly to loosen the loctite.The secondary springs are minimum 100lbs+ so don't try it by hand.

Thank you. The torx are proving difficult. I already broke one torx and I have one left. Unfortunately I do not have heat. So l am a little stuck lol

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

you don't have a mapp/propane torch for plumbing? 

I have not needed to buy one yet. All the plumbing jobs I have done I used shark bite fittings.

• Like 1