AR15

14 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Out of curiosity, because I just don't know, which ones have the better tolerances and materials 

I wont name names but basically more $ = better materials and tolerances but i have had 2 ar's with Anderson lowers and they were great. Different grades of Alum used per price range. Some better than others. Same with bolts. Nickel boron = $ and is slick but a standard milspec bolt is also just fine.

Its like a nissan altima vs a lexus gx470. Both work just fine ones a lot more comfy and better in certain areas.

Any AR should be durable enough and tight enough to last a long time period.

Out of curiosity why do you guys have AR style guns? I enjoy long range target shooting and use a Remington 700 heavy barrel in 22-250, and a Ruger 77 heavy barrel in 25-06.

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

Out of curiosity why do you guys have AR style guns? I enjoy long range target shooting and use a Remington 700 heavy barrel in 22-250, and a Ruger 77 heavy barrel in 25-06.

Its like the mustang gt 5.0 of guns. 30 round p-mags for $10.... Sold i shoot 223 at the range and its cheap. I also have other larger calibers so this fits its role perfectly.

I dig the ergos. I like the fact that i can get different uppers with the same lowers. 300 blackout. 308, 50 beowolf... you name it.

Whats not to like about it:wtf:

Edited by Wildcat

On 6/23/2016 at 3:42 PM, Wildcat said:

I wont name names but basically more $ = better materials and tolerances but i have had 2 ar's with Anderson lowers and they were great. Different grades of Alum used per price range. Some better than others. Same with bolts. Nickel boron = $ and is slick but a standard milspec bolt is also just fine.

Its like a nissan altima vs a lexus gx470. Both work just fine ones a lot more comfy and better in certain areas.

Any AR should be durable enough and tight enough to last a long time period.

Why won't you name names? Sometimes you pay a lot of money and it still ends up being a complete piece of shit. You don't get what you don't pay for, it's different than you get what you pay for

Edited by GreatLandEmpire

On June 23, 2016 at 7:00 PM, ckf said:

Ex military and some work afterwords.  I haven't fired mine is over three years.  Hell, haven't fired any of them in over three...but they are all cleaned, maintained and ready to go.

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ex military and some work afterwords.  I haven't fired mine is over three years.  Hell, haven't fired any of them in over three...but they are all cleaned, maintained and ready to go.

image.png

On 6/23/2016 at 4:05 PM, Axys1 said:

I don't own one I have a Browning A bolt 300 Win mag I like to stop shit dead in their tracks. :joint:

My father has one of those. I'm a big fan of triple locking lugs on the bolt, and am surprised they never caught on more. My next bolt gun is going to be a big horn TL3 when they finally finish manufacturing them and start selling them. Really like the mechanical ejection, controlled round feed, floating bolt head, and a pinned scope rail. I'm Going to pick .300 Weatherby mag, 3500 fps is the kind of shit I like

Since we are talking about rifles and bolt action hunting rifles have been brought up what is the best version under 1000 bucks. Thinking of calibers from .243 up to 300 Win. Mag. :bc:

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Since we are talking about rifles and bolt action hunting rifles have been brought up what is the best version under 1000 bucks. Thinking of calibers from .243 up to 300 Win. Mag. :bc:

I like my Remington 700 and my Ruger M77. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the Remington. As far as caliber it all depends on what you are going to use it for?

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I like my Remington 700 and my Ruger M77. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be the Remington. As far as caliber it all depends on what you are going to use it for?

Whitetail and I used to have a M77 Stainless in .270 that I unfortunately had to sell....was a very nice gun. I also like the looks of Browning BLR's....realize they are not a bolt but think they are cool. :bc:

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

Whitetail and I used to have a M77 Stainless in .270 that I unfortunately had to sell....was a very nice gun. I also like the looks of Browning BLR's....realize they are not a bolt but think they are cool. :bc:

Around here most guys I now that are hunting Whitetail Deer use a 30-06 or 308. The old timers are still using their trusty old 30-30 lever action guns.

Well, oddly enough, the only weapon I don't have is a sniper rifle.  I don't hunt so I couldn't justify it.  But, if I ever feel "froggy", I'd probably go with a 300 win mag.  Good for everything...two legs, or four.

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Around here most guys I now that are hunting Whitetail Deer use a 30-06 or 308. The old timers are still using their trusty old 30-30 lever action guns.

The 300 win mag is to big for deer IMO I found out the hard way. :wall: So now i use my old semi 30-06 Rem model 4 it been a great all round gun over the years the best part is you can get shells all over the place for them. 

Edited by Badger**

6 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

The 300 win mag is to big for deer IMO I found out the hard way. :wall: So now i use my old semi 30-06 Rem model 4 it been a great all round gun over the years the best part is you can get shells all over the place for them. 

16 minutes ago, ckf said:

As a kid I remember hearing mostly about .308, 30-30, and 30.06.....I would kind of like to try something  a little different just for grins....25.06, .257 Roberts, .280, ect....

Edited by Biggie Smails

6 minutes ago, Axys1 said:

Yeah, I sometimes forget that some like to actually harvest the meat.  In that case yep...I'd go 30-06.  7.62 "version".

3 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

As a kid I remember hearing mostly about .308, 30-30, and 30.06.....I would kind of like to try something  a little different just for grins....25.06, .257 Roberts, .280, ect....

My Ruger M77 is a 26-06. Nice flat shooting round. What's the hunting conditions like where you are? It's mostly thick woods hunting around here. Rarely is a deer taken over 100 yards away.

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

My Ruger M77 is a 26-06. Nice flat shooting round. What's the hunting conditions like where you are? It's mostly thick woods hunting around here. Rarely is a deer taken over 100 yards away.

Everything from fields to woods to swamps.....for the most part  though 100 yards and in.

Edited by Biggie Smails

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

I would stay away from remington and savage. Weatherby, Browning, Winchester, FN, Ruger, all good stuff.

• Gold Member
On June 23, 2016 at 5:00 PM, ckf said:

Fun and cheap to shoot.  Wouldnt want anything else in a paire dog town.   Great for jack rabbits!  Great for coyotes on the run...

2 hours ago, ckf said:

Nothing wrong with those at all, especially with the ammunition that's available for them these days