What my daughters WH Teacher posted about Inauguration

• Platinum Contributing Member

Really quite stunning and pathetic and he should have thought about it before posting because it is blowing up around here and people are now commenting about things he has said in class...note the upside down flag.

IMG_2740.PNG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Really quite stunning and pathetic and he should have thought about it before posting because it is blowing up around here and people are now commenting about things he has said in class...note the upside down flag.

IMG_2740.PNG

Just another dumbass

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

he does have a right to express his political views outside the classroom. but inside the clsssroom he's to promote conversation about the political process while removing his views from the conversation. 

Agreed but in today's world there is a very blurry line between the two. In the past what he said verbally among people outside of the classroom was his own business however with electronic communications now what he says electronically is not only heard by those outside the classroom but it would be reasonable to expect that those who sit in his classroom also here what he says electronically. How many of the students will hear/read this and believe it. After all they have been conditioned throughout their lives to believe what their teachers say.

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

he does have a right to express his political views outside the classroom. but inside the clsssroom he's to promote conversation about the political process while removing his views from the conversation. 

what do u think the chances of that are? 0 to none. also in todays world the kids are on his social media feeds guaranteed

Edited by Ez ryder

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Yeah, I'm sure he keeps his political idealism to himself in class:lmao: 

3 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Agreed but in today's world there is a very blurry line between the two. In the past what he said verbally among people outside of the classroom was his own business however with electronic communications now what he says electronically is not only heard by those outside the classroom but it would be reasonable to expect that those who sit in his classroom also here what he says electronically. How many of the students will hear/read this and believe it. After all they have been conditioned throughout their lives to believe what their teachers say.

i'm sure the school board has a behavioral  contract that defines his social media behavior. i doubt that expressing political, religious, or personal views are a part of that. he is a dipshit for posting this. on the other hand, trump has posted stuff with equal nonsensical content. 

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

My kid has been conditioned to think for herself.  Having a teacher like that introduces her to the real world, which is full of idiots.

If she were to get poor grades for disagreeing, then there would be a problem.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Polarissledder said:

My kid has been conditioned to think for herself.  Having a teacher like that introduces her to the real world, which is full of idiots.

I would guess your daughter being conditioned to think for herself is more thanks to you, her parents than the educational system. Too many parents though don't seem to instill the morals, ethics and think for themselves behaviours that they should.

Way back I in English class I challenged the status quo. The teacher would ask what is the "hidden" meaning of something in a book. I would give my interpretation and she would tell me it was wrong and tell me her interpretation was correct.

My favourite was when a teacher at John Lennon's former school started to analyze the Beatles songs and claimed he was an authority because he was John's former teacher.

In 1967, a student from Quarry Bank High School (Lennon's alma mater) sent John Lennon a letter telling him his teacher was conducting a class analyzing the Beatles' songs. Lennon was wryly amused. This letter served as the initial motivation for John to write a song that was beyond analysis for the simple reason that John didn't want it to make any sense at all. The whole purpose of the song, according to John, was to confuse, befuddle, and mess with the Beatles experts.

That song was I AM THE WALRUS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I would guess your daughter being conditioned to think for herself is more thanks to you, her parents than the educational system. Too many parents though don't seem to instill the morals, ethics and think for themselves behaviours that they should.

Way back I in English class I challenged the status quo. The teacher would ask what is the "hidden" meaning of something in a book. I would give my interpretation and she would tell me it was wrong and tell me her interpretation was correct.

My favourite was when a teacher at John Lennon's former school started to analyze the Beatles songs and claimed he was an authority because he was John's former teacher.

In 1967, a student from Quarry Bank High School (Lennon's alma mater) sent John Lennon a letter telling him his teacher was conducting a class analyzing the Beatles' songs. Lennon was wryly amused. This letter served as the initial motivation for John to write a song that was beyond analysis for the simple reason that John didn't want it to make any sense at all. The whole purpose of the song, according to John, was to confuse, befuddle, and mess with the Beatles experts.

And yes, although I don't feel i spend enough time discussing politics and world news with my daughter, I do my best to play the devils' advocate and try to make her explain her views on different subjects.  Even if i agree with her, i'll lead with the opposite, to see if she can defend herself.  Its a fun game.

I don't expect her to agree with me on everything...and that's how it should be.

12 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I struggled with the same bullshit...  English teacher with the 'hidden' meaning of something in a book, and French teacher (feminist) on abortion.  English teacher got me bad grades, French teacher expelled me from class.....I learned quite a bit from those experiences, and was glad it happened that way.

47 minutes ago, Polarissledder said:

Great post.

1 hour ago, Polarissledder said:

This right here. 

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Symbolism,  some great and valuable career enhancing life skill right there.