What's for dinner???

28 minutes ago, DAVE said:

We have? Humor me.

Pâté Chinois is not a Chinese recipe. It may simply be an adaptation of "Shepherd's Pie", but one possible explanation for the Chinese reference is that it was introduced to Canadian railway workers by Chinese cooks during the building of the North American railroads in the late 19th century.[citation needed] These cooks made it under instruction from the railway bosses (of British origin) as an easily prepared, inexpensive version of the popular cottage pie, with the sauce in the tinned creamed corn serving as a substitute for the gravy.

The French Canadian railway workers became fond of it and brought the recipe back with them to their home communities. From there, it was brought to the textile mill communities of Maine (Lewiston and Biddeford), New Hampshire (Manchester), Massachusetts (e.g., Lowell and Lawrence) and Rhode Island (Woonsocket) where many French Canadians immigrated to work in the mills during the early 20th century.

Another origin story has the dish connected to the town of South China, Maine.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Pâté Chinois is not a Chinese recipe. It may simply be an adaptation of "Shepherd's Pie", but one possible explanation for the Chinese reference is that it was introduced to Canadian railway workers by Chinese cooks during the building of the North American railroads in the late 19th century.[citation needed] These cooks made it under instruction from the railway bosses (of British origin) as an easily prepared, inexpensive version of the popular cottage pie, with the sauce in the tinned creamed corn serving as a substitute for the gravy.

The French Canadian railway workers became fond of it and brought the recipe back with them to their home communities. From there, it was brought to the textile mill communities of Maine (Lewiston and Biddeford), New Hampshire (Manchester), Massachusetts (e.g., Lowell and Lawrence) and Rhode Island (Woonsocket) where many French Canadians immigrated to work in the mills during the early 20th century.

Another origin story has the dish connected to the town of South China, Maine.

:thumbsup:

• Platinum Contributing Member

The irsh brought it with them when they all moved here after the potato famin. They were starving because of a widespread case of late blight took out all the potatoes because they only planted one variety. And apparently no one noticed they lived on an island and thought they should throw a fucking fishing hook into the ocean.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Bought em from the happy butcher , steakhouse tips.

Tip prices have been through the roof lately! 11-12 $ #. Market bucket had a sale last week 5.99. I picked them clean, made a bunch of seasoned/ marinated Ziploc for the freezer. I think the total was around #30.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Tip prices have been through the roof lately! 11-12 $ #. Market bucket had a sale last week 5.99. I picked them clean, made a bunch of seasoned/ marinated Ziploc for the freezer. I think the total was around #30.

Good score. This guy was 12.99 unmarinated , 14.99 marinated.