Eganville to Rolphton

Poncho

We trailered to Eganville from my place in Griffith, ice damage down my way is bad and most trails south are closed and not passable.  My buddy, he's the groomer, told us to head north, so we did.....Anyway we rode from Eganville, Pembroke, all the way to Rolphton 

for lunch and back. 185 miles total!  The XCR works great, still in break in mode.  Cold day -24C high of -15C.  Need new gloves...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 2

Nice pics!  You gonna run with that touring windshield all winter, or chop 'er down some? 

The Doo dealer in Eganville was very helpful to me once...... :lmao:

Edited by Puzzleboy

21 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Nice pics!  You gonna run with that touring windshield all winter, or chop 'er down some? 

The Doo dealer in Eganville was very helpful to me once...... :lmao:

Couldn't have enough windshield today.......COLD

i think you scared that little Doo guy in Eganville......

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

From the Mazinaw Powerline Club, they are just south of my place:

Our day clearing trails...the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll start with the ugly just so I can end with the good.
The ugly...the three guys on the newer skidoos with good fxr clothing, good helmets and yes, even a GoPro on your helmet. All that money spent for snowmobiling yet only one of you could afford $180 dollars for a permit. "It's in the truck, it was too cold for it to stick to the machine today. Ya right buddy. You also spent the money to travel here from Toronto to ride our trails. Next time stay home, don't want or need you here. I could go on for a long time about all the reasons you are scum.
Also the ugly. The spot on the trail where the sign clearly indicates no ski doos in this direction yet several people had to travel off the perfectly good trail in order to go where they were asked not to. Clubs ask all the time that landowners be respected so trails can stay open but, some just can't manage simple respect.
The bad. Trails definitely fit in this category. Some are passable but, the number of times you will get slapped in the head by hanging, ice laden branches is incredible. Several people spent all day yesterday and didn't begin to clear up the mess. Sledders don't typically wish for mild weather but, if Mother Nature doesn't help us get the ice off the trees our trails are going to suffer all winter. 
Also the bad. The number of sleds that came upon us working and sat on their running sleds till we stopped what we were doing and moved out of their way. Couldn't take the time out of your day (on closed trails by the way-closed so we could safely work on them) to lend a hand, say thank you. Nope , keep riding buddy. 
The good - Bruce - who met up with us, asked us what we were doing, told us about some downed trees he ran into and proceeded to spend the next several hours ( the whole time he had available for sledding today) sweating his ass off helping to clear the trails. We love the Bruce's.
Bob P - who emailed us last night to say he and his wife had time to clear trails today and where could they park. If you see Bob and his wife today stop, say hello and thanks. They may be the reason you can get from
Point A to point B. 
Most snowmobiles get it. We know this but, it's the ones who don't that burn the club volunteers out. 
That was a rant. Pictures to follow

• Like 4

You tell those Mazinaw guys to get off their collective fat asses and clear the trees that our permit dollars pay them to. 

If he has time to rant online, then he has time to do trail work.  :)

Edited by Puzzleboy

We were going to do the Mazinaw trails Saturday but stopped at Noweels and chatted with John...sad..the trails looked beautiful from the road but he mentioned the tress.  The Mazinaw is by far my fave riding spot.  We ended up doing Bancroft/Lake St Peter.  Trails were good...not as much snow as the Mazinaw area.  Lots of people  out.  Good compliance..but were forced to ticket a few.  On a side note... We came across many sledders with the temporary pass printed off and noted the expiry date was 04JAN17 yet it was a seasonal pass and the had receipts to prove it.  Seems may be an issue with getting the pass out this year? 

Sean, if you could kindly post the schedule showing the radar enforcement dates and locations for the province, it would be much appreciated.  I'm sure it's posted up at the station somewhere? 

Would greatly enhance safety on the trails. 

Edited by Puzzleboy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Sean, if you could kindly post the schedule showing the radar enforcement dates and locations for the province, it would be much appreciated.  I'm sure it's posted up at the station somewhere? 

Would greatly enhance safety on the trails. 

LMFAO!!!   I'll get to work on this..  It would be of benefit for someone like reelpro!!

11 hours ago, odot1 said:

We were going to do the Mazinaw trails Saturday but stopped at Noweels and chatted with John...sad..the trails looked beautiful from the road but he mentioned the tress.  The Mazinaw is by far my fave riding spot.  We ended up doing Bancroft/Lake St Peter.  Trails were good...not as much snow as the Mazinaw area.  Lots of people  out.  Good compliance..but were forced to ticket a few.  On a side note... We came across many sledders with the temporary pass printed off and noted the expiry date was 04JAN17 yet it was a seasonal pass and the had receipts to prove it.  Seems may be an issue with getting the pass out this year? 

The temporary passes that are printed off are I believe good for 10 days. If you are seeing a bunch with an expiry of about January 4, that would have them being bought online around Christmas Day, Boxing Day. It has been reported that there was a surge of permits sold then thanks to the early snow with lots of people suddenly deciding they want to ride through the holidays. It's the holidays for those who process the permits as well at the third party handler. The online system will be up but there are all the manual parts to get the paperwork printed and the permit into the envelope for mailing. Then there's the holidays for the folks at Canada Post as well to get it to your door.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:59 AM, Poncho said:

From the Mazinaw Powerline Club, they are just south of my place:

Our day clearing trails...the good, the bad and the ugly. I'll start with the ugly just so I can end with the good.
The ugly...the three guys on the newer skidoos with good fxr clothing, good helmets and yes, even a GoPro on your helmet. All that money spent for snowmobiling yet only one of you could afford $180 dollars for a permit. "It's in the truck, it was too cold for it to stick to the machine today. Ya right buddy. You also spent the money to travel here from Toronto to ride our trails. Next time stay home, don't want or need you here. I could go on for a long time about all the reasons you are scum.
Also the ugly. The spot on the trail where the sign clearly indicates no ski doos in this direction yet several people had to travel off the perfectly good trail in order to go where they were asked not to. Clubs ask all the time that landowners be respected so trails can stay open but, some just can't manage simple respect.
The bad. Trails definitely fit in this category. Some are passable but, the number of times you will get slapped in the head by hanging, ice laden branches is incredible. Several people spent all day yesterday and didn't begin to clear up the mess. Sledders don't typically wish for mild weather but, if Mother Nature doesn't help us get the ice off the trees our trails are going to suffer all winter. 
Also the bad. The number of sleds that came upon us working and sat on their running sleds till we stopped what we were doing and moved out of their way. Couldn't take the time out of your day (on closed trails by the way-closed so we could safely work on them) to lend a hand, say thank you. Nope , keep riding buddy. 
The good - Bruce - who met up with us, asked us what we were doing, told us about some downed trees he ran into and proceeded to spend the next several hours ( the whole time he had available for sledding today) sweating his ass off helping to clear the trails. We love the Bruce's.
Bob P - who emailed us last night to say he and his wife had time to clear trails today and where could they park. If you see Bob and his wife today stop, say hello and thanks. They may be the reason you can get from
Point A to point B. 
Most snowmobiles get it. We know this but, it's the ones who don't that burn the club volunteers out. 
That was a rant. Pictures to follow

Ha ! I know Bob and his wife, diehard trail supporters.

There should be more said about the ice damage out there, it's not as bad as the big ice storm years ago but it's a mess.

Sure would be nice if as a Trail Pass purchaser you could have some by-law enforcement rights to simply send a pic of the sled on the trail without a trail pass and document date time and location and send it to the club or OPP. The area and north to Mc Arthers Mills is full of sleds with no passes and a pathetic attitude. Gotta be cheaper to have a guy in the office send out 1000 tickets than teams of OPP setting up shop on the trails.