*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

Charlotte native William Byron wins pole for Coca-Cola 600

CONCORD, N.C. – On Thursday afternoon at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Brad Keselowski opined that the Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolets were the fastest cars in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series garage.

Turns out he was right—about one of them, at least.

As twilight approached at the 1.5-mile intermediate track, William Byron turned a lap in 29.440 seconds (183.424 mph) in his No. 24 Chevy to win the pole position for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 (6 p.m. ET on FOX, PRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio), earning the distinction as the youngest pole winner in the 60-year history of NASCAR’s longest race—and at Charlotte Motor Speedway, for that matter.

In winning his second Busch Pole Award of the season and the second of his fledgling career, the 21-year-old Charlotte native was .057 seconds faster than second-place qualifier Aric Almirola, who turned a lap at 183.069 mph in his No. 10 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford.

“This is a dream come true,” Byron said, after watching teammate Alex Bowman fall short as the final driver to make a qualifying run. “Obviously, I grew up in Charlotte and came to this race every year. So it’s a dream come true to qualify on the pole with Hendrick Motorsports just across the street and all the hard work and everybody at Chevrolet giving us fast race cars.

“This is pretty cool. I can’t think of a better way to start the weekend.”

Kyle Busch was third in the fastest Toyota at 182.933 mph. Austin Dillon qualified fourth, followed by Stewart-Haas teammates Kevin Harvick and Daniel Suarez.

Byron is seeking his first Cup victory, but his crew chief, seven-time champion Chad Knaus, has four wins in the Coke 600, and Byron feels their level of communication has been on an upswing.

“Yeah, just the dialogue we have in the hauler or transporter or whatever you want to call it,” Byron said. “We go back and forth on communication changes. It’s starting to improve for us, and that’s where the speed is coming from. Also, the cars are getting faster. So this is really exciting.”

Joey Logano was seventh fastest, followed by Clint Bowyer, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. and Daniel Hemric, as Ford drivers nailed down six of the top 10 positions on the grid.

Keselowski, who qualified 21st, was slightly off the mark about the other three Hendrick cars. Chase Elliott qualified 12th, Bowman 13th and seven-time series champion Jimmie Johnson 15th. Johnson, who has eight victories at Charlotte, hopes to break a winless streak that has reached 71 races.

“There are three of our Hendrick cars right there with us,” Johnson said. “The 24 (Byron) had an incredible lap, so we’ll try to dig in and see just how committed they were to qualifying. I think we were a bit more in a race scenario, the way it looks at my quick glance, but we just have to stick together as a group.

“The fact that three of our cars were there and so close in speed is a great starting spot for all of us. We had a couple of cars that ran good in the All-Star Race (last Saturday) and a couple that didn’t. Mine was one that didn’t. To piggy-back on what those guys had going on is the goal for us this weekend, and we’ll see how that translates to the race.”

— NASCAR Wire Service —

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Less than half of the seating that they used to have.

Michigan Speedway President not worried about losing a race date

Michigan International Speedway president Rick Brenner can be excused if he feels like he has a target on his back.

NASCAR has made it clear that it wants to shake things up with future racing schedules. In 2020, the sanctioning body is shaking things up with the order of its races on the schedule – even moving the series’ championship weekend from Miami-Homestead Speedway to ISM Raceway in Phoenix.

In 2021, NASCAR can really change the menu — the five-year agreements it signed with current tracks in 2015 expire following the 2020 campaign. After 2020, NASCAR is no longer bound to awarding Michigan, Dover, Bristol, Kansas, Las Vegas, Martinsville, Pocono, Richmond, Talladega, Phoenix or Texas two NASCAR Cup races.

“I have no idea,” Brenner said. All I’m doing right now is focusing on the races we have in front of us for the next two years.”

Michigan is one of several tracks that have eliminated thousands of grandstands from its facility in recent years, conceding that the good-old days of NASCAR aren’t coming back. Michigan had a high of 137,243 seats in 2005. Currently, the speedway has just 56,000 seats – a number that hasn’t been that low at the Brooklyn, Michigan, facility since 1991 when seating capacity was listed in the media guide at 54,159.

For now, Brenner and the staff at MIS plan to keep grinding. They’ve lowered prices, increased fan access to the pits, allowed fans to bring in their own food and drink. For years, the facility has offered fan-friendly free parking on site.

• Confused 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Kind of surprised Austin Dillon is running the Xfinity Race in this heat considering he has to run 600 miles tomorrow. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

Kind of surprised Austin Dillon is running the Xfinity Race in this heat considering he has to run 600 miles tomorrow. 

I guess he got out of the car mid race. Seen a clip on Facebook.

They are predicting In car temps around 135 to start the race.

Byron, Amirola, Newman.

Newman is a dark horse, hoping his experience pays off as he paces himself to be there at the finish and the younger guys tire out. Probably a bad plan now that I think about it...lol

He'll probably passout and hit the wall.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, ckf said:

Wow!  Less than half of the seating that they used to have.

Michigan Speedway President not worried about losing a race date

By
Scott Page May 24, 2019 at 4:47 PM

Michigan International Speedway president Rick Brenner can be excused if he feels like he has a target on his back.

NASCAR has made it clear that it wants to shake things up with future racing schedules. In 2020, the sanctioning body is shaking things up with the order of its races on the schedule – even moving the series’ championship weekend from Miami-Homestead Speedway to ISM Raceway in Phoenix.

In 2021, NASCAR can really change the menu — the five-year agreements it signed with current tracks in 2015 expire following the 2020 campaign. After 2020, NASCAR is no longer bound to awarding Michigan, Dover, Bristol, Kansas, Las Vegas, Martinsville, Pocono, Richmond, Talladega, Phoenix or Texas two NASCAR Cup races.

“I have no idea,” Brenner said. All I’m doing right now is focusing on the races we have in front of us for the next two years.”

Michigan is one of several tracks that have eliminated thousands of grandstands from its facility in recent years, conceding that the good-old days of NASCAR aren’t coming back. Michigan had a high of 137,243 seats in 2005. Currently, the speedway has just 56,000 seats – a number that hasn’t been that low at the Brooklyn, Michigan, facility since 1991 when seating capacity was listed in the media guide at 54,159.

For now, Brenner and the staff at MIS plan to keep grinding. They’ve lowered prices, increased fan access to the pits, allowed fans to bring in their own food and drink. For years, the facility has offered fan-friendly free parking on site.

I was there in the early 90's when they started building those cheap seats around 3-4 turn and watched as they slowly tore them down again.

Michigan should be one race in late August.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Byron, Amirola, Newman.

Newman is a dark horse, hoping his experience pays off as he paces himself to be there at the finish and the younger guys tire out. Probably a bad plan now that I think about it...lol

He'll probably passout and hit the wall.

Changed my mind.

Kyle Busch, Harvick, Byron

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I guess he got out of the car mid race. Seen a clip on Facebook.

They are predicting In car temps around 135 to start the race.

Good thing...apparently he was blistering on his rib cage where the seat wraps around....saw in car temps of 131 yesterday so yeah hotter today...hottest 600 evah they said.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Ahhhh shit.......Truex smacks the wall.

i think i had him in my original picks. i hope that is one of the ones Steve changed :lol:

21 minutes ago, ckf said:

i think i had him in my original picks. i hope that is one of the ones Steve changed :lol:

He has rebounded and running 10th! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ckf said:

The new package made for a pretty good race last night.

Agreed....lots of passing with 3-4 wide racing. 

51st for the week and now 50th overall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Did I move ya up or down?

I don't think you messed with them. They looked familiar when I looked at them. 

Congrats for moving up to 2nd overall :bc:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ckf said:

I don't think you messed with them. They looked familiar when I looked at them. 

Congrats for moving up to 2nd overall :bc:

X2...’ol Kurt was running good and then...he wasn’t...almost took out his brother in the process. 

Keselowski finished 19th but due to his finish in the 3 stages he scored more points than the 5th, 6th and 8th place cars.

Makes it a lottery to pick back field guys who never make it into the stage points but get a good finish.

I was 13th for the week now 31 over all.

• Like 1

Final practice for the Pocono 400 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway is over, after 55 scheduled minutes, the top five, slowest and notes:
#1-Busch 172.712
#2-Keselowski 171.798
#42-Larson 171.612
#17-Stenhouse, Jr. 171.018
#18-Busch 170.849
Slowest: #00-Cassill 163.890 & #52-Yeley 163.313
Most laps run: #4-Harvick, 32 laps.
Best 10 consecutive lap avg (of 17 drivers): #18-Busch, 170.042 mph.
Notes: #95-DiBenedetto will start at the rear on Sunday after the team had to change an engine.

• Thanks 1