*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

What were they back then 400 hp? And a roadcourse. They were slow.

They were closer to being a true stock car back then.

• Like 1

Those old cars were heavy , big cubic inch power plants ,  shitty brakes and no power steering.  francecar needs to get back to a off the shelf stock body  panel platform .

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, hwytohell said:

Those old cars were heavy , big cubic inch power plants ,  shitty brakes and no power steering.  francecar needs to get back to a off the shelf stock body  panel platform .

The tire tech has changed plenty too.

But a driver is still a driver.

• Like 1

If you look at drivers of the past , they were large framed , with huge upper body strength  , They needed it. Most smoked and partied very hard . Todays drivers  are small in frame, almost  horse jockey type. They work out on a weekly or daily basis , and only party when they win. When Eastern New York , Geoff Bodine  at 30 plus years old,( again slight in body frame ) brought  into open wheeled asphalt modified  power steering and full face helmets plus early form fitting drivers seats , the game of racing changed , his first car in francecar  was outlawed because of these  raw cutting edge for the time inventions . Six races later in  early racing history his car was in the top twenty , in most cases but with plenty of blown engines and transmissions  + plus power steering pump failures.  ( modified  pressure factory Saginaw systems that could not stand the high oil temps  of racing ) Yes tire tech has made vast improvements in the sport from the old hard bias ply Firestones , but remember Hoosier - Bodine racing radial tires opened the doors to the modern racing tires we have today. ( Sadly without other completion to Goodyear )

Edited by hwytohell
  • Like 2

From FRONTSTRETCH

Bout sums up my feelings about the Waltrip's. BTW I didn't see these antics but I doubt too many did as no one watches anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------

2. Michael Waltrip’s antics during his Grid Walk prior to the race Sunday included kicking at nothing and falling on a race car. Should it be addressed in some manner or is it all just harmless fun?

Haverlin: I don’t think it needs to be addressed this time because it didn’t cause any damage to the car, but that can’t happen ever again because it could cause problems. It’s harmless fun now, but a second offense would be unacceptable. Imagine if he dented the car and the handling was affected, or it failed post-race inspection? That’d be a giant headache for everyone involved.

Velat: As a professional working in the sport, that was downright embarrassing. This is the person we want speaking to millions of viewers, some of whom are almost certainly watching for the first time? Not to mention, Waltrip has been given quite a lengthy leash from more than just his television network. Not sure what I mean? Try falling on a race car the next time you’re at the track and see how fast they remove you from the premises.

McLaughlin: Waltrip needs to be shipped off to the Jeff Hammond Home for the Comedically-Retarded and Perpetually Annoying NASCAR Announcers. If he needs a ride, his brother Darrell can take him. How those two still have a job is beyond me. All I can figure is they must have pictures of the CEO of FOX in a compromising position with a barnyard animal. I was wondering if perhaps that Field Of Dreams skit they ran was meant to be some sort of hint he was on the way out even while MW swore he was never leaving. Either that, or they were talking about the catastrophic drop in attendance at races.

Pugliese: Michael Waltrip and his antics may be long in the tooth for some, but you can’t deny his enthusiasm and love of the sport. At a time when it’s one negative thing after another, with fans constantly complaining about this, that or another (if rightly so…), he’s proof that the power of positive thinking is a real thing. That being said, falling into race cars isn’t cool, but his glancing grab of a car over was less pressure than the air hitting it at 219mph entering turn one at MIS. That said, it’s time we recycle the booth talent. DW and Mikey are getting to be like some of The Price is Right models towards the end. It shouldn’t be a lifetime contract. Referencing songs and pop culture items from 40 years ago isn’t going to endear the target viewer who is needed to keep this thing rolling.

Henderson: Replace him with Bryson Byrnes, who did a credible job at Charlotte. Seriously, he’s a young kid, but I think for that segment, they could pull it off, especially if they paired him with someone like Regan Smith. Or just skip the grid walk altogether; it’s kind of superfluous anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sael said:

From FRONTSTRETCH

Bout sums up my feelings about the Waltrip's. BTW I didn't see these antics but I doubt too many did as no one watches anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------

2. Michael Waltrip’s antics during his Grid Walk prior to the race Sunday included kicking at nothing and falling on a race car. Should it be addressed in some manner or is it all just harmless fun?

Haverlin: I don’t think it needs to be addressed this time because it didn’t cause any damage to the car, but that can’t happen ever again because it could cause problems. It’s harmless fun now, but a second offense would be unacceptable. Imagine if he dented the car and the handling was affected, or it failed post-race inspection? That’d be a giant headache for everyone involved.

Velat: As a professional working in the sport, that was downright embarrassing. This is the person we want speaking to millions of viewers, some of whom are almost certainly watching for the first time? Not to mention, Waltrip has been given quite a lengthy leash from more than just his television network. Not sure what I mean? Try falling on a race car the next time you’re at the track and see how fast they remove you from the premises.

McLaughlin: Waltrip needs to be shipped off to the Jeff Hammond Home for the Comedically-Retarded and Perpetually Annoying NASCAR Announcers. If he needs a ride, his brother Darrell can take him. How those two still have a job is beyond me. All I can figure is they must have pictures of the CEO of FOX in a compromising position with a barnyard animal. I was wondering if perhaps that Field Of Dreams skit they ran was meant to be some sort of hint he was on the way out even while MW swore he was never leaving. Either that, or they were talking about the catastrophic drop in attendance at races.

Pugliese: Michael Waltrip and his antics may be long in the tooth for some, but you can’t deny his enthusiasm and love of the sport. At a time when it’s one negative thing after another, with fans constantly complaining about this, that or another (if rightly so…), he’s proof that the power of positive thinking is a real thing. That being said, falling into race cars isn’t cool, but his glancing grab of a car over was less pressure than the air hitting it at 219mph entering turn one at MIS. That said, it’s time we recycle the booth talent. DW and Mikey are getting to be like some of The Price is Right models towards the end. It shouldn’t be a lifetime contract. Referencing songs and pop culture items from 40 years ago isn’t going to endear the target viewer who is needed to keep this thing rolling.

Henderson: Replace him with Bryson Byrnes, who did a credible job at Charlotte. Seriously, he’s a young kid, but I think for that segment, they could pull it off, especially if they paired him with someone like Regan Smith. Or just skip the grid walk altogether; it’s kind of superfluous anyway.

MW tries to hard an has become increasingly annoying....

• Like 1

m / w  is a reminder why francecar  is in deep trouble, he is and was a glaring cheating team owner that was given a pass because of his last name . ( Or the inside goods he had on the francecar  circus )

26 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

m / w  is a reminder why francecar  is in deep trouble, he is and was a glaring cheating team owner that was given a pass because of his last name . ( Or the inside goods he had on the francecar  circus )

He got Toyota in the game.

• Like 1

I had to go back 7 pages to find this thread after the off weekend. The Cup cars are on the track in Sonoma practicing turning left and right.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

I had to go back 7 pages to find this thread after the off weekend. The Cup cars are on the track in Sonoma practicing turning left and right.

Hell yeah...love the road courses...thinking a Bowyer, Harvick and Allmendinger weekend.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hell yeah...love the road courses...thinking a Bowyer, Harvick and Allmendinger weekend.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think I picked Dinger, Bowyer and Jamie Mac when I did them last week. I may make some changes before the race goes green.

1 minute ago, hwytohell said:

Robby Gordon and Boris Said were a hoot to watch on a road course.

Agreed.

Just now, hwytohell said:

Robby Gordon and Boris Said were a hoot to watch on a road course.

Oh man do I miss those guys...Robby Gordon was a hard charger that got short shrift because he wasn’t part of the good old boys club and Boris Said and The Said Heads were the best! 🤣

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Oh man do I miss those guys...Robby Gordon was a hard charger that got short shrift because he wasn’t part of the good old boys club and Boris Said and The Said Heads were the best! 🤣

I was a Robby Gordon fan back when he ran Cart.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ckf said:

Buried by liberal tears.

28 minutes ago, ckf said:

No, Sunday afternoon.

Sonama and the glen are the best races of the yr imo....i think charlotte will be interesting.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Sonama and the glen are the best races of the yr imo....i think charlotte will be interesting.

Agreed. I also like watching the short track and the four super speedway races . The cookie cutter tracks should only get one race a year. Charlotte is trying to adapt by coming up with the Roval track. Hopefully a few more tracks do something similar. 

• Like 1