*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Dave said:

Cant say im sad to see that idiot leave.

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

x2 guys a fucking douche

strange circumstances to be bailing like this. 

Fucking steroid freak....glad he is leaving.

Official: Carl Edwards leaves full-time racing: #19-Carl Edwards will leave Joe Gibbs Racing effective immediately, without any regrets and while he's still got his health. He announced his plans on Wednesday, saying he has no plans to race again, but he said he wouldn't use the word "retirement." Edwards said the timing was right to retire now -- that he is satisfied with his career, the schedule is grueling and he can step away now while he is healthy. "I need to take that time right now and devote it to people that are important to me. ... Those [health] risks are something that I want to minimize," Edwards said. Edwards will be replaced by Daniel Suarez, the first full-time Mexican-born driver in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. The 37-year-old Edwards spent the last two years at JGR and had one year remaining on his deal. Edwards won 28 races in 445 career starts, including three times in 2016. He spent the bulk of his career at Roush Fenway Racing, where he quickly climbed up the NASCAR ladder and replaced Jeff Burton in the #99 Ford in the 2004 season. Edwards never missed a Cup race because of injury and was among the best fit athletes in racing. He reiterated he is healthy, but he understands the long-term health risks of racing. He added that everyone in his family is healthy. He stressed that he did not make this decision to move to another team. "If I am going to get back in a race car, I'm calling Coach [Joe] Gibbs first," he said. "There is no better race team."(ESPN)(1-11-2017)

Just now, Dave said:

Maybe he didnt want a season of being obsessed with killing Lagano...like he did back when he was obsessed with Kesolowski a few yrs back. :lol:

I listened to a bit of the news conference, it sounded like he wanted to get out before the wrecks caused any long term effects on his health.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I listened to a bit of the news conference, it sounded like he wanted to get out before the wrecks caused any long term effects on his health.

Interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping Bowman's performance last year would be enough to find a ride for this season.

No racing plans for Bowman beyond the Clash: Alex Bowman's focus [now] returns to NASCAR. And when it comes to unemployed Monster Energy Cup drivers, it would difficult to find one with as much potential as Bowman. The 23-year-old racer for Tuscon, Arizona, had the opportunity to audition last season in the #88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy while substituting for the sidelined Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his performance was solid. But with less than a month before NASCAR teams report to Daytona International Speedway for Speedweeks, the only race on Bowman's schedule so far is The Clash at Daytona. Although he's posted one pole, three top fives and seven top 10s in 11 starts for JR Motorsports, Bowman doesn't have the backing to make a full-time Xfinity Series ride work with the team. But he's not giving up hope. "It's just money," Bowman said. "This sport is so money-driven and it's not a fully funded deal. I can't write a check to drive a car. I'm trying to get checks written to me to drive a car. If the right situation came up and there was a good sponsor and everything fit, it absolutely would be a possibility. But right now, there's no funding to go do it." He still has his day job with Hendrick Motorsports. He'll still test for the organization and drive the simulator.

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I was hoping Bowman's performance last year would be enough to find a ride for this season.

Well that sucks yet mediocre drivers like Paul Menard continue to have Cup rides because daddy keeps writing checks. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

Yep. RCR has turned in to nothing more than field fillers.

Newman is the best of the bunch and probably my favorite driving at the moment.

Meanwhile, the ROTY class is Erik Jones, Daniel Saurez, and Jr. Cowboy Dillon.  Pending something major, I know which one won't be ROTY.

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Newman is the best of the bunch and probably my favorite driving at the moment.

Meanwhile, the ROTY class is Erik Jones, Daniel Saurez, and Jr. Cowboy Dillon.  Pending something major, I know which one won't be ROTY.

Newman is a good driver in a middle of the field car. Even when Harvick was at RCR they weren't really competing with the top tear teams every week.

I'm pulling for Jones to win ROTY :bc:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Newman is a good driver in a middle of the field car. Even when Harvick was at RCR they weren't really competing with the top tear teams every week.

I'm pulling for Jones to win ROTY :bc:

I'm with you on Jones....good Michigan lad who lost his father last season.

• Like 1

This would make the chase more interesting.

Road course race at Charlotte? Could a road course race be in Charlotte Motor Speedway's future? Last Friday, AJ Allmendinger tested on what was roughly a 2.3-mile circuit similar to Daytona International Speedway that incorporates both the infield in Turns 1 and 2 and the regular 1.5-mile oval according to multiple sources. The test was a collaboration between Charlotte Motor Speedway and NASCAR. Sources said Charlotte could incorporate the road course as early as the All-Star Race, which is scheduled for May 20. It's more likely the road course would be used for the fall Chase race on Oct. 7. Fans have been clamoring for a road course in NASCAR's playoffs and Charlotte could offer the perfect solution. Certainly, if the Charlotte plan comes to fruition, transitioning to a road course could be an option at other facilities. Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Kansas Speedway, for instance, already feature road courses as part of their landscape

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave said:

Austin made the chase and Newman didnt.

7 hours ago, Dave said:

If they are field fillers like John said none did.

Chris Beuscher made the chase....seriously though do you really think Newman gets the same equipment as pop pops little cowboy?

29 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

Chris Beuscher made the chase....seriously though do you really think Newman gets the same equipment as pop pops little cowboy?

Beusher lucked into the chase....bad comparison.....

John said that rcr where just field fillers and one of the drivers raced himself into the chase...and it wasnt Newman

Edited by Dave

42 minutes ago, Dave said:

Beusher lucked into the chase....bad comparison.....

John said that rcr where just field fillers and one of the drivers raced himself into the chase...and it wasnt Newman

That doesn't make them a competitive team as a whole. They may be a little better than field fillers, but not a top tier team like RCR once was. Putting his grandchildren in the cars isn't going to help either. No matter how bad they struggle, he's never going to show them the door.

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

That doesn't make them a competitive team as a whole. They may be a little better than field fillers, but not a top tier team like RCR once was. Putting his grandchildren in the cars isn't going to help either. No matter how bad they struggle, he's never going to show them the door.

Pure speculation....