Sears (RIP) sells Craftsman tool brand to Stanley

35 minutes ago, Catalina said:

Sears is done, just a matter of time now. If you told me that Stanley tools would be buying Craftsman 15 years ago, I would have said you were crazy. It's amazing to see how much they have fallen. 

Sears which had the best pre-online catalogue could have transferred that business so easily.Somebody dropped the ball for sure.

7 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Sears which had the best pre-online catalogue could have transferred that business so easily.Somebody dropped the ball for sure.

When Eddie Lampert got control of Sears Holdings it was the beginning of a downward spiral. Sears Holdings is a merger of Sears and Kmart. The year before was the most profitable in the history of Sears Canada. From that point on he just kept dismantling the most profitable pieces and putting the money in his pocket. The number one credit card in Canada was the Sears card. He sold that to J.P. Morgan / Chase for a few $B and declared a massive special dividend to the shareholders. He's the biggest shareholder. Sears Travel sold more trips than anyone else. He sold that off as well. Any CEO of Sears Canada that tried to fix things ran up against a brick wall when he wouldn't let them do what was needed since it would cost money. The mission vision values statement used to be "A great place to work, shop and invest" Eddie came along and it changed to "Make More Money"

20 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I have mostly all Craftsman at home.  decent quality- good price.

I have got mostly Craftsman but have bought some of the professional tools from Stanley also and think they are as good or better than the Craftsman and having Stanely aquire the Craftsman line will be a win win for both brands

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I am guessing the lifetime guarantee on Craftsman hand tools will continue. Most of what I have is Craftsman

I believe the Stanley Professional  tools are lifetime also

2 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I returned a ratchet I used as a hammer to Sears no questions :)

I remember seeing a guy return a screwdriver he used as a chisel. He pounded the shaft up through the handle. No questions asked, here's your replacement

I've used Craftsmen tools since my dad bought me my first ratchet set at 16.  Have thousands of bucks worth.  Never had a problem...ever.  Fucked up some screwdrivers along the way and returned for credit toward new.  IMO...top notch.

Just now, 02sled said:

I remember seeing a guy return a screwdriver he used as a chisel. He pounded the shaft up through the handle. No questions asked, here's your replacement

screw drivers were something I thought were not warranted :dunno: 

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

screw drivers were something I thought were not warranted :dunno: 

I've never had any problem and have turned in three phillips tipped that I rounded off. and one flat tip that, well, got "bent" for some reason. :ashamed:

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have been buying Gear Wrench tools as of late. Really happy with them, not the cheapest but also not the most expensive. They have some good deals too, like buy a 3/8 set get a 1/4 set for free, buy a standard set of box ends get a metric set free.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I've never had any problem and have turned in three phillips tipped that I rounded off. and one flat tip that, well, got "bent" for some reason. :ashamed:

Robertson....ftw! :news:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I've never had any problem and have turned in three phillips tipped that I rounded off. and one flat tip that, well, got "bent" for some reason:ashamed:

And the truth comes out about the stator..