Puzzle....New 850 Doo burn down issues are real!

Poncho

Wonder where all that paranoia comes from?  :lmao:

Not saying it isn't true, but pretty hard to take a post seriously when somebody can't back it up so that it can be confirmed.  Just sayin'......

Safe bet the 800s have been known for as eating cranks and poos are known for eating piston skirts Due to poor design.  I was under the impression the new 850 has no sealed bearings and is oil fed like cat and poo?

• Platinum Contributing Member

At a sled shop yesterday. 2 Doo in for repairs. A '12 800 Etec with blown motor, dealer did top end 500 kms ago. And a 15 XRS for a bulkhead.

Nunz over on OC threw a crank bearing on a '16 Pro X. I thought Poo had those 800's figured out.

My buddy sold his 13 Turbo and when they loaded it into the guys truck coolant started leaking from the exchanger. Small crack. He fixed and the guy came back a couple of days later.

They are all shit. They just come in different colours.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Not saying it isn't true, but pretty hard to take a post seriously when somebody can't back it up so that it can be confirmed.  Just sayin'......

Thats ok.  Dont believe me.  No hard feelings.  

Nunz over on OC threw a crank bearing on a '16 Pro X. I thought Poo had those 800's figured out.

Those 800HOs have been very reliable.  That being said, the only issue that I have heard about is the very rare one having crank bearing issues.   My dealer (Go Performance in Dorchester)  has sold 50+ 800 HOs and 2 have blown up.  1 was a cold seize and the other was a crank bearing.  

Todd was telling me he has a customer who has 10000 miles on his 2015 800 HO and they tore it down to do a top end as preventative maintenance and it was still completely in spec.   They did put pistons in it while it was apart but they certainly arent like the 2011-2012s that needed a top end every 2000 miles.  

Edited by scottyr

Like I said, I didn't say I didn't believe you.  But the "paranoia", comes from posts like this.  As I said earlier, counting your dealer's 2 burndowns, we now have 4 internet burndowns out of 7500 Rotax 850s manufactured.  Is that a lot? 

7 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Thats ok.  Dont believe me.  No hard feelings.  

1 hour ago, Puzzleboy said:

Probably doesn't want to many people knowing that he he selling piles of complete shit, doesn't help the bottom line much :guzzle: 

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

At a sled shop yesterday. 2 Doo in for repairs. A '12 800 Etec with blown motor, dealer did top end 500 kms ago. And a 15 XRS for a bulkhead.

My buddy sold his 13 Turbo and when they loaded it into the guys truck coolant started leaking from the exchanger. Small crack. He fixed and the guy came back a couple of days later.

They are all shit. They just come in different colours.

I just talked to him. New motor going in. 

9 minutes ago, Reevester said:

16 lynx 570 fan cooled. For the wife and my old man. Will mostly be for ice fishing but hopefully the wife wants to get out a few times.

We got minimal rain at SanD Lake and about 4" of new snow and still falling :bc: 

4 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

We got minimal rain at SanD Lake and about 4" of new snow and still falling :bc: 

Looks like more coming. Been snowing since we left Cochrane. New Liskeard needed it. 

Be up next Friday till Monday. :bc:

19 minutes ago, Reevester said:

16 lynx 570 fan cooled. For the wife and my old man. Will mostly be for ice fishing but hopefully the wife wants to get out a few times.

Nice! For a minute I thought you were going to say a Doo-lol

Bought my wife a '16 5000LXR, she loves it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Poured like a Mo-Fo here in Oshawa last night but not sure how Port Perry or the Ganny faired.

Current snow squall watch for Port and colder temps coming so hopefully it won't take too long to get things back up to snuff. 

• 3 weeks later...

From Facebook:

Thanks @shenanigansthomas for the tow. I really wish this sled wasn't so god damn amazing to ride, because my god it has been nothing but issues. Connecting rod through the case today. Not to mention the grenading belts, tracks lugs blowing away, half $60 jug of oil per ride, rave valve failures, chains, recoils, and every other issue we have been having. Thank god for awesome dealer support from Playmor power in Castlegar. Should be back on the snow in no time. 1f918_1f3fb.png

This is from Deisel93's son (former FS member).

I'm not sure how to link a vid from Facebook but its just the sled being towed anyways.

Edited by Blackstar

9 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

Oh boy , 

But didn't D say he was on it last year , I remember a thread  about the 850 . And how it was performing well , and it was coming to market . 

Thats too bad . 

Ya, he test rode one last winter and liked it. This is his first post that has been negative about the sled but it sounds like he has been keeping quiet on the problems until now.

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From Facebook:

Thanks @shenanigansthomas for the tow. I really wish this sled wasn't so god damn amazing to ride, because my god it has been nothing but issues. Connecting rod through the case today. Not to mention the grenading belts, tracks lugs blowing away, half $60 jug of oil per ride, rave valve failures, chains, recoils, and every other issue we have been having. Thank god for awesome dealer support from Playmor power in Castlegar. Should be back on the snow in no time. 1f918_1f3fb.png

This is from Deisel93's son (former FS member).

I'm not sure how to link a vid from Facebook but its just the sled being towed anyways.

Saw this as well.  First thing that came to mind was puzzleboy.  A friend of mine out west had an 850 as well.  Caught a rock at a relatively slow speed and wrote the sled off.  Front bulkhead was broke pretty bad. He's friends with Karl Kuster and 17 of the 20 850's he has were down over Christmas with blown motors, chaincases, bulkheads etc.

Edited by 04nightfire

3 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

Right on , well , they're all shit :)

No, they are all pretty good, but all have issues and they all break. 

In summary.

Yammi, reliable great engine but boring as fuck.

Doo, great suspension, engine well . . ., in short a mechanics best friend.

Polaris, great overall except 800 issues.

Cat,  like it or not, reliable 800.

My Cat will give me an overheat warning if running roads and then go into limp mode to save itself.  Of course I never let it go there. Unfortunately no temp indicator on it.   The two Poos have a temp indicator and I have run them up to 90C without any temp warning, got a bit worried.