Yamaha Sidewinder

Yamadoo

Yep, those Sidewinders are performing real well.  And they're all installing BRP Pilot skis to make them turn. :lmao:

Who knows if the Cat/Yammy marriage will last.  Yamaha, while building oddball sleds for many years, is at least an Engineering and high quality Japanese company, typical of Japanese manufacturers.  Cats are still assembled by Minnesota tractor mechanics..... worlds colliding, and doubt the Japs will put up with it for long. 

I'm watching closely and monitoring here and TY as I am interested in what my next sled may be when I get bored of my Turbo 1200. I have great interest in the Sidewinder, but it is true that every time I go to TY I see more and more problems. Now I see driven bushings going to crap, injector rail bolts coming loose and fuel spraying all over the engine, of course turbo bolts falling out, belts blowing, flat rollers, complaints of very heavy steering, still the dreaded chaincase problems and turbos seizing up and quite a host of other issues.

Sure they are better than the old Turbo Cats, but a far cry from a Japan built real Yamaha! Why? because they are still using the problem plagued ProCross, Cat engineers and Cat assembly line!

My old man kept his 2016 apex just in case he didn't like his sidewinder. He's been complaining all day about how sore he is from having to ride a sled without power steering. 

He's so die hard yammy he distrusts everything arctic cat about this sled. 

IMG_0220.JPG

3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Yep, those Sidewinders are performing real well.  And they're all installing BRP Pilot skis to make them turn. :lmao:

Who knows if the Cat/Yammy marriage will last.  Yamaha, while building oddball sleds for many years, is at least an Engineering and high quality Japanese company, typical of Japanese manufacturers.  Cats are still assembled by Minnesota tractor mechanics..... worlds colliding, and doubt the Japs will put up with it for long. 

I'm watching closely and monitoring here and TY as I am interested in what my next sled may be when I get bored of my Turbo 1200. I have great interest in the Sidewinder, but it is true that every time I go to TY I see more and more problems. Now I see driven bushings going to crap, injector rail bolts coming loose and fuel spraying all over the engine, of course turbo bolts falling out, belts blowing, flat rollers, complaints of very heavy steering, still the dreaded chaincase problems and turbos seizing up and quite a host of other issues.

Sure they are better than the old Turbo Cats, but a far cry from a Japan built real Yamaha! Why? because they are still using the problem plagued ProCross, Cat engineers and Cat assembly line!

Japs don't have a choice....and 95% of the shit you mentioned was outsourced by the fucking japs...fucking retard...lol

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Japs don't have a choice....and 95% of the shit you mentioned was outsourced by the fucking japs...fucking retard...lol

:lol:

"Yamaha rules!  But Yamaha is now Cat.  And Cat sucks while Yamaha rules.  Anything that doesn't work on the Yamaha is a Cat problem.  And if it works on Cat, Yamaha did it."

What a bunch of lost children.  Your company fucked themselves a decade ago when they decided the future was 4stroke and "sit downers" were gonna remain relevant.....THEN REFUSED TO ACCEPT REALITY.  But wait......Fucking power steering......:lol:

:lmao:

Hey Yammi wackos....trade your shit in and visit your nearest REAL Yamaha dealer.  Get your fucking Herbie Hancock on! :lol:

IMG_1680.JPG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I guess you haven't yet checked out the Sidewinder failures thread..... plenty to talk about. 

Link? I didn't see it but the ty site is junk 

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Kev144 said:

Link? I didn't see it but the ty site is junk 

I read in 6 pages and could only find the one story about the fuel rail bolts backing off and spraying fuel. Some discussion about clutch problems but this is Yamahas first time dealing with this type of horse power and potential power.

What do any of these things have to do with horsepower?  They're all good old Cat shit quality assembly issues.  Not much to do with Yamaha. 

.... driven bushings going to crap, injector rail bolts coming loose and fuel spraying all over the engine, of course turbo bolts falling out, belts blowing, flat rollers, complaints of very heavy steering, still the dreaded chaincase problems and turbos seizing up....

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I read in 6 pages and could only find the one story about the fuel rail bolts backing off and spraying fuel. Some discussion about clutch problems but this is Yamahas first time dealing with this type of horse power and potential power.

Haters going to hate.

Not saying there isn't issues but they seem a lot less than the new 850 Doos. :snack:

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/a-positive-review.146175/

37 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Hate?

I don't know about "a lot less".  Rotax's first production run was 7500 850s. 

How many Sidewinders and Thundercats were even built? 

I think if you combine all the sleds Cat made for the 2017 model year, it might be 7500....:fluffy:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2017 at 10:03 PM, Puzzleboy said:

"Featherweight".  615 pounds, and the gas tank ain't even full.  Looks like Yammy was in charge of weights/mass. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCtMyhYp1xM

spent a fair bit of time riding my dads sled back to back with my sled (zr6000 R sx) and its a totally different animal despite being a similar chassis. He also still has his apex 

steering on the Sidewinder is really, really heavy. Was surprising that my zr with c&a xt (2" deep keel) and shapers has way less steering effort than the sidewinder with the stock skis. Obviously it has a lot more weight over the skis but it still seems unusually hard to turn. Not to mention the tuner skis are the worst.

Rear skid is weird too, not much transfer at all even after removing coupler blocks. He hasn't had much of a chance to play around with the skid setup though.

Rode my buddies  new Yamaha Sidewinder last week-end. Definitely not a sled for weak armed doo riders, or in-experienced sledders.

Wicked acceleration, and awesome trail manners, great sounding motor. Stays very stable, even at those 50 KPH high speeds. LO L

I asked the owner why he sold his 850 doo after only owning it for 3 weeks, and he said he wasn,t old enough to go as slow as the 850s top speed would take him. LOL  He mentioned he didn,t feel safe enough on the 850 at higher speeds. It just felt too unstable.

• Like 1