windshield repair

• Platinum Contributing Member

I bought a sled that was in an auction. The auctioneers used a grease pencil to write on the windshield. I've cleaned off the printing but there is still a ghost image that remains. I'm assuming it's scratched in.

I'm wondering about using some sort of polish to buff it out. Maybe one of those kits for cleaning headlights.

Anyone know of anything that works without doing further damage?

Not sure if you can see in the picture or not. It's very faint but it's there.

IMG_1848.JPG

I don't know if it works or not but someone once suggested trying toothpaste. There is also this. It refers to a Lexan motorcycle windshield which would be similar to a sled windshield. I believe they are both Lexan.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-polish-a-Lexan-windshield-for-under-4/?ALLSTEPS

You need to click through each step though

Capture.JPG

I think you should avoid using a headlight cleaning kit. It is abrasive and will only make it worse. I doubt you can eliminate the scratches, just make the area smoother with a plastic polish. I've used a couple for motorcycle fairings, the most recent is Plexus. I think you can still buy it at motorcycle shops. It's pretty much the same as Pledge furniture polish. You might want to try the Pledge first. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by 2strokemerc

This may also work, Tim?

I purchased some to help take the scratches/haze off my e-visor on my helmet. I had limited success but I likely didn't do it correctly or took my time like I should have.

I believe my folks purchased it state side as it was difficult to get here at the time but that may have changed now?

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:41 AM, irv said:

This may also work, Tim?

I purchased some to help take the scratches/haze off my e-visor on my helmet. I had limited success but I likely didn't do it correctly or took my time like I should have.

I believe my folks purchased it state side as it was difficult to get here at the time but that may have changed now?

You can buy it on Amazon.ca

• Like 1