Ben...what’s up with the M5?

Corvette is a fine garage queen and fun to drive. Love Beemers too but they scare me for maintenance issues. My son is a service manager at a big Beemer dealer and he has an opinion he can't share with most customers.  He was telling me about a customer that came in a couple weeks ago that had a bad headlight on MM just out of warranty. Quoted the guy 42 hunderd dollars. Guy blew a gasket and went off mad. Came back a couple days later and had the service done. Some of the stuff  that shouldn't break is so expensive hes embarrassed to quote some customers.

6 minutes ago, s pump said:

Corvette is a fine garage queen and fun to drive. Love Beemers too but they scare me for maintenance issues. My son is a service manager at a big Beemer dealer and he has an opinion he can't share with most customers.  He was telling me about a customer that came in a couple weeks ago that had a bad headlight on MM just out of warranty. Quoted the guy 42 hunderd dollars. Guy blew a gasket and went off mad. Came back a couple days later and had the service done. Some of the stuff  that shouldn't break is so expensive hes embarrassed to quote some customers.

You have to stay a generation behind so there are plenty of used parts if you want to own one out of warranty 

6 minutes ago, s pump said:

assuming that is more the case on the high end stuff though right? 

I'd have to assume their more run of the mill 3 series stuff is pretty reliable for how many of them they sell....

7 minutes ago, s pump said:

Owning a bmw is like owning an Arctic cat. If you can’t do the work yourself, you’re in the wrong game. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

You have to stay a generation behind so there are plenty of used parts if you want to own one out of warranty 

Tons of aftermarket stuff for bmw’s. There’s also eBay. I lost a blue tooth module on my 1M. Bmw wanted $2700. I found one on eBay for $50. It was plug and play. Everything from window regulators to throttle bodies can be had cheap. There’s also a loyal following of geniuses that refurbish bmw parts. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I don’t care who you are and how much dough you have...4200 bucks for a headlight is just fucking stupid. 

They are adaptive blah blah blah headlights and they are one of the things there is no aftermarket for because if their complexity 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I guess. You're still enjoying wrenching which I lost my patience with some time ago. Love the way they drive but like a slutty girl, she'll disappoint you eventually. 

2 minutes ago, frenchy said:

I'd have to assume their more run of the mill 3 series stuff is pretty reliable for how many of them they sell....

Maybe. I had a 3 a while back. Doors wouldn't stay closed below 10 degrees. I had to use a tie down strap until the interior heated up. True story. Wire in the sunroof broke. Parts to fix were $1200. Cranked it closed manually and disabled the power. Fixed. Had an X5 for quite a while that was pretty flawless tho. I was and am an Audi guy. Since 83 have had one most of the time.

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Owning a bmw is like owning an Arctic cat. If you can’t do the work yourself, you’re in the wrong game. 

True or a good mechanic who knows the foibles.

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Tons of aftermarket stuff for bmw’s. There’s also eBay. I lost a blue tooth module on my 1M. Bmw wanted $2700. I found one on eBay for $50. It was plug and play. Everything from window regulators to throttle bodies can be had cheap. There’s also a loyal following of geniuses that refurbish bmw parts. 

Yup, I'm looking for front camera for my A8. Caught a rock I assume and it finally failed recently. Been watching eBay for one.

Love my 340, it's tuned and running E20 blend. Been a flawless car for 2 years for me.  My previous car was an 08' 328 and sold it with 190k. Nothing major on it, water pump was the most expensive but doing it yourself it was only $400

12 hours ago, thewayout said:

8C4FF720-78FC-4AE8-890E-DB1B96DE814B.jpeg

57B4229D-C264-43BA-9FEB-9814FFC38BAE.jpeg

First generation of Vette I wouldn't mind owning.  That motor must be fucking glorious at full song.  Only thing I had close to a Vetter was my 05 GTO, which came with a LS2 6 litre motor.  :bc: 

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

The old boy that owns this one is 85 yrs old. Says he's gonna keep it for 5 yrs lol

20200731_115123.jpg

Thats badass right there.  Be fun on a 3 yr. lease or something.

1 hour ago, s pump said:

yeah thats just retahded.  Criminal.  I like the MBs for long term reliability and reasonable parts.

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

Yeah I have to believe the non M 3 series would be pretty good.  The new ones have these video touch screen dashes, cool as hell.  They're probably 5 figures when they shit out 2 months out of warranty  :lol: 

Edited by DriftBusta

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

First generation of Vette I wouldn't mind owning.  That motor must be fucking glorious at full song.  Only thing I had close to a Vetter was my 05 GTO, which came with a LS2 6 litre motor.  :bc: 

Thats badass right there.  Be fun on a 3 yr. lease or something.

yeah thats just retahded.  Criminal.  I like the MBs for long term reliability and reasonable parts.

Yeah I have to believe the non M 3 series would be pretty good.  The new ones have these video touch screen dashes, cool as hell.  They're probably 5 figures when they shit out 2 months out of warranty  :lol: 

They have to be at least that much...our Lincoln has a goofy touch screen that controls climate, entertainment...ect...one of the big reasons I bought an extended warranty.🤣

• Like 1