Official 2020/2021 Snowmobile Season

Tomas.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Edmo said:

My uncle had a garage full of early 70’s sleds. We’d show up and he was always working on something. Red ones not running today, ride the blue one lol.

My old Rupp was that way but when she was running I thought she would do a 100 across the lake.🤣

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My old Rupp was that way but when she was running I thought she would do a 100 across the lake.🤣

Rupps were among the worst. We had one friend with a Rupp and one with a Merc. Almost every ride one of them didn't make it 5 miles and many rides neither of them did. LOL Our Scorpions were very reliable for the times other than the occasional belt flip over in the Salisbury primary clutch. Loved the fact you could lift the hood while under way to adjust the high speed mixture screw. LOL

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

Rupps were among the worst. We had one friend with a Rupp and one with a Merc. Almost every ride one of them didn't make it 5 miles and many rides neither of them did. LOL Our Scorpions were very reliable for the times other than the occasional belt flip over in the Salisbury primary clutch. Loved the fact you could lift the hood while under way to adjust the high speed mixture screw. LOL

IIRC it wasn’t even that old when I got it and it was already falling apart...I found some sort of vinyl material at The Ben Franklin and wrapped the seat foam but it never really attached it back to the sled so it was always flying off when I stood up...I was 6th or 7th grade at the time. At one point it needed a rebuild and  my buddy’s dad from up the hill fixed her up for me. This was around 1978-79...it was a good time to be a kid.👍🏼🇺🇸

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

IIRC it wasn’t even that old when I got it and it was already falling apart...I found some sort of vinyl material at The Ben Franklin and wrapped the seat foam but it never really attached it back to the sled so it was always flying off when I stood up...I was 6th or 7th grade at the time. At one point it needed a rebuild and  my buddy’s dad from up the hill fixed her up for me. This was around 1978-79...it was a good time to be a kid.👍🏼🇺🇸

They were, hunting , fishing , sleds , dirtbikes 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

They were, hunting , fishing , sleds , dirtbikes 

+ Baseball, atvs,  hockey, sliding & hauling a gt snowracer behind the sled.

How TF we're not dead and why our parents let us do the shit we did is beyond me.

We got hurt bad and always came back for more. Kids now are pussies.

• Like 1

Just now, awful knawful said:

+ Baseball, atvs,  hockey, sliding & hauling a gt snowracer behind the sled.

How TF we're not dead and why our parents let us do the shit we did is beyond me.

We got hurt bad and always came back for more. Kids now are pussies.

When we were 12 we got an old ford falcon. KId who drove had to keep the window down. The rest of us would chuck apples at him ( unharvested apple tree's surrounded the filed) who ever hit him in the head with an apple got to drive .

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

When we were 12 we got an old ford falcon. KId who drove had to keep the window down. The rest of us would chuck apples at him ( unharvested apple tree's surrounded the filed) who ever hit him in the head with an apple got to drive .

Sounds about right.

We had pellet gun wars. No shooting in the head 😂. They were so accurate, you know how that went.

My son did a lot of the same things i did when i was a kid.  it's part of the reason i bought a place at the lake because i wanted them to have the same experiences.  skiing,  boats, sleds, atv's, dirtbikes,  making jumps were all part of growing up.  We got a call one night from someone we know at the PD because my son was towing kids around behind his jeep on a sled in a neighborhood.  Wife and i laughed because we were doing that with friends into our 20's.  Only time i got pissed about things he did was when he took his overheating jeep 4 wheeling with buddies and blew it up.  Asked him why if the light came on he was still driving it.  he pointed to the washer fluid and said i checked the fluid level.  SMH

Daughter on the other hand isn't real adventurous.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Edmo said:

My uncle had a garage full of early 70’s sleds. We’d show up and he was always working on something. Red ones not running today, ride the blue one lol.

My uncle had a Ski-Daddler with a Hirth 800 triple in it.  Sold it to a guy in town in the 80's with less then 200 miles on it.

He said you'd take it out into the hay field or pasture and pin it.  If you hooked good, you'd spend half the day replacing cleats.

Between cleats, keeping 3 carbs in sync and 3 sparklers sparkling, he hated the thing.

Said his Bruts were 10x the sled that pig was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

My uncle had a Ski-Daddler with a Hirth 800 triple in it.  Sold it to a guy in town in the 80's with less then 200 miles on it.

He said you'd take it out into the hay field or pasture and pin it.  If you hooked good, you'd spend half the day replacing cleats.

Between cleats, keeping 3 carbs in sync and 3 sparklers sparkling, he hated the thing.

Said his Bruts were 10x the sled that pig was.

Flashbacks.  The old sleds were works of art, and often complete pieces of shit.  :lol:  The sport was so much more colorful back then.

59 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Flashbacks.  The old sleds were works of art, and often complete pieces of shit.  :lol:  The sport was so much more colorful back then.

Ride for a hour, fix for three, drink for two, and use the trees to help steer you home.

Sport is still plenty colorful among the vintage crowd.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Ride for a hour, fix for three, drink for two, and use the trees to help steer you home.

Yup.  Smell like a gas can after every ride.  Good times.  :lol:  :bc: 

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Yup.  Smell like a gas can after every ride.  Good times.  :lol:  :bc: 

Yup, I,m really surprised that more old sledders didn,t explode into a ball of fire. The majority smoked, and with all the gas soaked crotches and mitts, it,s a wonder more guys and sleds didn,t catch on fire. LOL

I remember way back in the sixties, one of our drunken friends was just ahead of me driving an old Ski-doo and veered off trail a bit and hit a stump. He cartwheeled off of the sled, flew right out of both boots that were still in the sled when it finally stopped. His old open face helmet and glasses were packed full of snow, and he was trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Once we seen him up and stumbling around, we kinda figured he was ok, and everyone in the group laughed their asses off. Surprising how long it took him to realize he was in his sock feet. 

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

All our sleds had a old leather shaving bag full of tools except the yammis . 

My uncle owned a skiorule dealer in Clearwater . I remember spending almost every Friday night in the shop full of guys wrenching and drinking so we could ride on Friday. 

I cant remember any Ride that did not have at least 1 break down . Lots of blackberry brandy consumed during trailside fix it sessions 

8 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup, I,m really surprised that more old sledders didn,t explode into a ball of fire. The majority smoked, and with all the gas soaked crotches and mitts, it,s a wonder more guys and sleds didn,t catch on fire. LOL

I remember way back in the sixties, one of our drunken friends was just ahead of me driving an old Ski-doo and veered off trail a bit and hit a stump. He cartwheeled off of the sled, flew right out of both boots that were still in the sled when it finally stopped. His old open face helmet and glasses were packed full of snow, and he was trying to figure out what the hell just happened. Once we seen him up and stumbling around, we kinda figured he was ok, and everyone in the group laughed their asses off. Surprising how long it took him to realize he was in his sock feet. 

They were also soaks in Hamm's and Pabst and schnapps.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

All our sleds had a old leather shaving bag full of tools except the yammis . 

My uncle owned a skiorule dealer in Clearwater . I remember spending almost every Friday night in the shop full of guys wrenching and drinking so we could ride on Friday. 

I cant remember any Ride that did not have at least 1 break down . Lots of blackberry brandy consumed during trailside fix it sessions 

My dad says their first sleds were a Ski Doo TNT and a John Deere 600 or something like that.  Fixed them all the time.  Got a Lynx 2 and an El Tigre and they finally didn't have to fix on shit constantly. 

He said the Liquidator was kind of a pile too.

One uncle had a pair of Sno-Twisters that always ran well.

Another had the Ski Daddler followed by Bruts and Deeres.

Then there is me.  The old Trailcat and a pile of Yamaha 292 shit.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Seems like a pretty decent deal...Coldwater, MI...

84CF3332-F177-439E-907F-CB00DDE8B730.thumb.png.25b16f6d674c3683d7b208fd3d054695.png

That is a pretty square deal.  Less than I paid for my 20 Back Country 850 base model.  Bro was sniffing around and got a price on a new SBA 146 Matrix, like almost 18 grand   WTF  :lol: 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1