Frozen in place bolt

16 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Don, you should have done 1 of 2 things........traded the truck in and get a different one.

#2.....You should have just taken it to a garage, I'm assuming you're not broke and why in the hell would you want to be messing around working on vehicles at your age? :bc:

See about a week ago we took it to a shop for front end alignment as we ordered new tires,  so they said lower left and upper right ball joints were getting bad...It's the wife's truck, used to be mine..I enjoy working on things, have over $72,000 in tools and always buying more, dumb, huh? Shop wanted $1,038.48 to do  the work.

Anyhow, just now  I sawed off the 1 control arm leg, the other side came right out easily, then I got between the sawed off piece and frame with a saws all and cut thru both sides of the bolt, whala, it's off.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hayward said:

Let him alone, that's what keeps these older guys going.  The minute they stop, rigamortas starts to set in.  

No offense Don.  Keep at er'!:bc:  I hope some day i'll be able to tackle shit at your age.

Ya see, I never give up, sooner or later I figure it out, I worked in 3 different repair shops part time and ran my own for 51 years so rather used to "getting 'er done".

32 minutes ago, hayward said:

Let him alone, that's what keeps these older guys going.  The minute they stop, rigamortas starts to set in.  

No offense Don.  Keep at er'!:bc:  I hope some day i'll be able to tackle shit at your age.

I'm not picking on him, just giving advice. You don't see too many 70+ year old men working on vehicles, especially if you don't have a lift.

19 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

See about a week ago we took it to a shop for front end alignment as we ordered new tires,  so they said lower left and upper right ball joints were getting bad...It's the wife's truck, used to be mine..I enjoy working on things, have over $72,000 in tools and always buying more, dumb, huh? Shop wanted $1,038.48 to do  the work.

Anyhow, just now  I sawed off the 1 control arm leg, the other side came right out easily, then I got between the sawed off piece and frame with a saws all and cut thru both sides of the bolt, whala, it's off.

A lift would be the most beneficial at your age. You're not broke, at your age I would have wrote the check and saved the hassle. :bc:

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

I'm not picking on him, just giving advice. You don't see too many 70+ year old men working on vehicles, especially if you don't have a lift.

I knew you weren't.

There are 4 private lifts available right here within 1/2 -1 mile away, if I wanted to use them they would let me, I would need to bring my tools as they don't have everything I might need.

2 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

A lift would be the most beneficial at your age. You're not broke, at your age I would have wrote the check and saved the hassle. :bc:

I never pay others if I can do the job myself, however I won't do auto trans work anymore.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Working on the "newer" stuff isn't like working on old stuff.  This shit gets corroded and welded together.   When you do it everyday, you learn to not fuck around. just cut it apart.,

heat, penetrating oil, breaker bars, can sometimes work, just dont waste a lot of time screwing around, not when you are trying to make money. 

BTW; Dad is 74 just finishing up an engine  swap in a suv. :bc:

• Like 1

Just now, Cold War said:

Working on the "newer" stuff isn't like working on old stuff.  This shit gets corroded and welded together.   When you do it everyday, you learn to not fuck around. just cut it apart.,

heat, penetrating oil, breaker bars, can sometimes work, just dont waste a lot of time screwing around, not when you are trying to make money. 

BTW; Dad is 74 just finishing up an engine  swap in a suv. :bc:

I wanna met your dad, my kinda guy.

10 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I never pay others if I can do the job myself, however I won't do auto trans work anymore.

Some times you have to write the check, besides your local economy could use the support. You can't take your money to the grave.

18 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

I knew you weren't.  :bc: My pop is 74 and he tinkers around, but won't tackle much anymore as far as mechanics go.  Arthur has got the best of him now.

6 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I wanna met your dad, my kinda guy.

He is in good shape.  Lot of his friends can barely get behind the wheel of car due to weight and health issues, much less wrenching on anything.  Clean living does have its advantages.  Not that I followed his example. :lol:

2 hours ago, Cold War said:

He is in good shape.  Lot of his friends can barely get behind the wheel of car due to weight and health issues, much less wrenching on anything.  Clean living does have its advantages.  Not that I followed his example. :lol:

I've never smoked and don't drink so at least that was a smart thing not to do as I aged.

2 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Some times you have to write the check, besides your local economy could use the support. You can't take your money to the grave.

fuck that shit. too many retards that think they are mechanics. I have a hard time taking shit in for recalls or warranty work. You have to do it yourself if you want it done right. 

38 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I've never smoked and don't drink so at least that was a smart thing not to do as I aged.

The weight and inactivity is a huge factor, also.   I am a thin active person.  My wife works in orthopedic and sees it every day. These young people who are already obese are going to be in a world of hurt when they get to be my age , much less making it into their 70’s . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

" SENIOR POWER!!!

Good job X!!!  I could never keep the place up, if I brought all my stuff to a dealer. Chain saws, mowers, etc. I fix almost everything myself. Not only would they charge me a fortune, but it would tie that machine up for weeks, sometimes. The hassle of loading, driving to the dealer, unloading, going back to get it, hoping they fixed it right, and they will ALWAYS charge a lot.   :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

That’s what I would’ve done. Have to get creative with some of this stuff where corrosion is an issue. Last month I helped a guy work on a “70 z28 that he bought and had shipped here from California. I laughed at him for the premium price that he paid for a CA car. After helping him with the tear down I’m not laughing any longer. Everything came apart with no special tools or heat. It’s a huge time saver. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Legend said:

fuck that shit. too many retards that think they are mechanics. I have a hard time taking shit in for recalls or warranty work. You have to do it yourself if you want it done right. 

Not if you bring it to a reputable shop. Even with all the Youtube warriors, do you have any idea how bad people can fuck shit up? No, there's alot of people who do shit themselves and they don't do it right, I see it all the time. Some do, most don't. 

6 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Not if you bring it to a reputable shop. Even with all the Youtube warriors, do you have any idea how bad people can fuck shit up? No, there's alot of people who do shit themselves and they don't do it right, I see it all the time. Some do, most don't. 

I see it all the time.  Friends call me over to their house to bail them out.  Trying to do this shit with no lift   Smh.  I don’t even work on my own stuff at home because I don’t have a hoist there.  Even trying to put a belt on a car is a pain in the ass. 
On the other side , not to many  mechanics anymore, just part replacers . 

10 hours ago, hayward said:

I'm just hoping to be alive at 70+.  My odds aren't that great.

7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I see it all the time.  Friends call me over to their house to bail them out.  Trying to do this shit with no lift   Smh.  I don’t even work on my own stuff at home because I don’t have a hoist there.  Even trying to put a belt on a car is a pain in the ass. 
On the other side , not to many  mechanics anymore, just part replacers . 

During April Covid shutdown I pulled the engine from my truck myself in my garage, on the floor.  All of the under the truck stuff just ruined me, I hurt so bad the next day.  Both exhaust manifolds rusted and broke of course, so replaced with headers.  It was worth it though, and I'll do it again.  I've actually done several engines in my garage and driveway, this one just killed me the worst.

5 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I'm just hoping to be alive at 70+.  My odds aren't that great.

During April Covid shutdown I pulled the engine from my truck myself in my garage, on the floor.  All of the under the truck stuff just ruined me, I hurt so bad the next day.  Both exhaust manifolds rusted and broke of course, so replaced with headers.  It was worth it though, and I'll do it again.  I've actually done several engines in my garage and driveway, this one just killed me the worst.

I can’t believe how rusty these cars and trucks are.  Don’t even want to do it anymore. This out of a 20011 pilot.  Completely rusted out. Rear stabilizer broke off , needed to replace rear member. Every single bolt was a pain in the ass. 

898364A1-B25C-4EEB-9140-C8C57C1A8330.jpeg