Frozen in place bolt

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Ever had a stuck/frozen control arm bolt that won't turn even using a 3/4 impact? How do you get it out? Aluminum lower control arm on a 2007 Avalanche. Used a air chisel with flat bit for 10 minutes, nothing.

Yup. A lot of times on the Rams.  That shit ain’t coming out.  Cut the bolt.  

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Yup. A lot of times on the Rams.  That shit ain’t coming out.  Cut the bolt.  

I believe that would still leave the remaining bolt stuck between the truck frame, suppose I could drill it out some to clear the frame..also thought to simply air chisel thru the aluminum in several places then knock out the pieces with the air chisel and use a thin cut-off wheel thru the steel sleeve.

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I believe that would still leave the remaining bolt stuck between the truck frame, suppose I could drill it out some to clear the frame..also thought to simply air chisel thru the aluminum in several places then knock out the pieces with the air chisel and use a thin cut-off wheel thru the steel sleeve.

The bolt goes vertical into the body or horizontal in the k member? Tough deal if it goes through the k member into body. Let’s see pic. 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

The bolt goes vertical into the body or horizontal in the k member? Tough deal if it goes through the k member into body. Let’s see pic. 

Horizontal, Not in the shop right now, perhaps take a pic tomorrow..

22 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Not familiar with the chassis on them by memory.   On the Rams you can cut the head and thread side of bolt off and pry it out.  Once the bolt corrodes itself to the sleeve it ain’t coming out of there. The rubber around it acts as a absorber.  
On the PT cruiser they run the back control arm bolt into the body.  Pita if it freezes up. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Bigger impact gun.  If you need more air flow just have Ben come over and have him start flapping his gums.

The 3/4" I used has 1,700 lbs.in reverse. Really thought it would snap, but didn't.

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Tried Mapp Gas torch, nothing. I have oxyacetylene torches but was Leary to use that. 

Don't use oxyacetylene , put socket on bolt heat with propane and hit with hammer do a few times then hopefully it removes ! Heat and tap heat and tap 

9 hours ago, The One said:

Don't use oxyacetylene , put socket on bolt heat with propane and hit with hammer do a few times then hopefully it removes ! Heat and tap heat and tap 

Did it many times using Mapp Gas, 400* hotter than Propane.

17 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Did it many times using Mapp Gas, 400* hotter than Propane.

You shouldn't exceed 200  on aluminum over that temp it turns mushy 

33 minutes ago, The One said:

Have you tried just heating the control arm area where bolt is placed , instead of actual bolt ?

There's a steel sleeve in the arm, so no I haven't.

I have all new control arms, today if it doesn't come out I'm going to saw off the arm and cut thru the bolt boss to remove the remaining section.

Bored a few out on a 97 ram this summer to change rubber bushings with a plasma cutter.  Couldn't get quite all the way through, but enough that with an impact they all came apart.  Sled a peice of sheet steel up under the floor board to sheild the fire and heat, and had some water on hand of course. Only nicked the frame on one of them so just welded up the hole a bit and used a reamer to fix the hole so the bolt was nice and snug.

That one up under the floor board, what a bitch to get to.  Of course both sides needed it too.

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Ever had a stuck/frozen control arm bolt that won't turn even using a 3/4 impact? How do you get it out? Aluminum lower control arm on a 2007 Avalanche. Used a air chisel with flat bit for 10 minutes, nothing.

Don, you should have done 1 of 2 things........traded the truck in and get a different one.

#2.....You should have just taken it to a garage, I'm assuming you're not broke and why in the hell would you want to be messing around working on vehicles at your age? :bc:

9 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Don, you should have done 1 of 2 things........traded the truck in and get a different one.

#2.....You should have just taken it to a garage, I'm assuming you're not broke and why in the hell would you want to be messing around working on vehicles at your age? :bc:

Let him alone, that's what keeps these older guys going.  The minute they stop, rigamortas starts to set in.  

No offense Don.  Keep at er'!:bc:  I hope some day i'll be able to tackle shit at your age.

• Thanks 1