Trumps says cancel the contract on Boeing

• Platinum Contributing Member

Interesting...Is he just spouting off half cocked again or is he committed to cutting costs.

Talking to reporters Tuesday morning at Trump Tower in Manhattan, Trump explained his tweet: “The plane is totally out of control. It’s going to be over $4 billion for Air Force One program, and I think it’s ridiculous. I think Boeing is doing a little bit of a number. We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money.”

And in a call with reporters, Trump spokesman Jason Miller said that Trump plans to closely examine the Pentagon’s budget and look for areas where he can find savings.

“I think this really speaks to the president-elect’s focus on keeping costs down across the board with regard to government spending,” he said. “I think people are really frustrated with some of the big price tags that are coming out for programs, even in addition to this one. So we’re going to look for areas where we can keep costs down and look for ways where we can save money.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/12/06/citing-cost-overruns-trump-says-boeings-contract-to-build-air-force-one-should-be-canceled/?utm_term=.d3005d83e361

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Its 3.1 billion over 10 years and its time to replace the 34 year old Reagan era planes.

Yes it's time to replace and update the planes agreed...they are very important aircraft but that's a huge chunk of change for only 2 planes.

I like the idea that he might actually want to pull in the reigns with government spending though

It is time to replace the planes, and the new ones will likely be the most sophisticated aircraft ever barring the space shuttle, but $4 Billion does seem like a lot of money, even for two planes. They ought to be able to build a Star Trek transporter for that, and save a lot of time and fuel. 

On the bold....What is that layman's terms?  :lol:

Boeing was selected as the manufacturer in January 2015, but it wasn’t much of a competition. Boeing’s 747-8 was the only plane made in the United States that could meet the requirements for the presidential aircraft while also being “consistent with the national public interest,” Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said in a statement at the time.

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

So no comment on Trump potentially wanting to reign in on the spending?

Reign in the spending???

Aren't he and Pence cooking up a trillion dollar program of stimulus and infrastructure spending?

Just now, ICEMAN! said:

Reign in the spending???

Aren't he and Pence cooking up a trillion dollar program of stimulus and infrastructure spending?

When Congress hasn't passed a budget in forever this is what we end up with I guess. CR's, StopGap measures, stimulus bills. There's one going out right now I think that will fund the government for the short term.

Pass a fucking budget once in a while

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

How does that prove skidooski's point that Trump will "reign in spending?"

you cant reign in spending on infrastructure because said he woudl do it but built round abouts instead and never actually fixed anything needed.  

Its needs to be done and trump can do it right, he'll save on spending by reigning in spending elsewhere. for the 10th time he hasnt even started the job yet! 

1 minute ago, washedupmxer said:

you cant reign in spending on infrastructure because said he woudl do it but built round abouts instead and never actually fixed anything needed.  

Its needs to be done and trump can do it right, he'll save on spending by reigning in spending elsewhere. for the 10th time he hasnt even started the job yet! 

English please

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

When Congress hasn't passed a budget in forever this is what we end up with I guess. CR's, StopGap measures, stimulus bills. There's one going out right now I think that will fund the government for the short term.

Pass a fucking budget once in a while

Trump said he wont produce a budget.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stancollender/2016/12/04/you-heard-it-here-first-trump-may-not-proposing-a-budget-next-year/#2db8167e2667

1 minute ago, ICEMAN! said:

No, a buddy linked me CNN's coverage of it earlier and apparently Boeing has no idea where Trump is getting his numbers.

The entire cost of the program, including development costs, is expected to reach $4 billion, according an analysis by Todd Harrison, a defense analyst with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

2 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

I am sure the Boeing execs will be happy when they present the final invoice to Trump and he tells em they have already been paid enough.

yeah I'd like to know where he gets the number. boeing says $170M which seems too low, trump gets $4B which seems too high.

btw I like how the repugs are OK with infrastructure spending now. more proof "the party of no" was all about stopping Obama, regardless of what we has after.

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Well.....why even propose one every year like every other president has if Congress won't do anything? The president can't pass it on his own and a "Proposed budget" obviously doesn't amount to squat so....

3 minutes ago, Snoslinger said:

yeah I'd like to know where he gets the number. boeing says $170M which seems too low, trump gets $4B which seems too high.

btw I like how the repugs are OK with infrastructure spending now. more proof "the party of no" was all about stopping Obama, regardless of what we has after.

The entire cost of the program, including development costs, is expected to reach $4 billion, according an analysis by Todd Harrison, a defense analyst with the Center for Strategic and International Studies