Cheap Cruise

DeezNutz

13 minutes ago, DeezNutz said:

Guys, whats the best way of sourcing a cheap cruise, looking for a 5-7 day right after Christmas. 

Also what are the dos and don't of going on a cruise? 

Alaskan cruise should be cheap and best time of the year.

Check the size of the ship and age. The newer and larger ships are much more stable. Some of the smaller older ships pitch more at sea. The best spot for a cabin is mid ship and not fore or aft. We were on a cruise and ended up with a cabin 3 decks down and 3 cabins back from the bow of the ship. We hit rough seas the first night out and the bow was up and down quite a bit. My wife woke up feeling rather queezy the next morning. We picked up wrist bands that are elastic and have a little round nub the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil. They worked for the rest of the cruise.

Most say all inclusive except for alcohol.... if you are a drinker it can be a real surprise when you pay your bill at the end of the cruise. Some of the people were shocked at the total tab.

Shore excursions offered by the ship are not included and can be pricey. We have usually opted to get a local cab. One example was $100 to go from the docks and tour a local rum distillery. Our cab took us there and back, we paid the fee for the distillery and it was under $50. 

Most important of all.... make sure you are back on board before the ship sets off. They won't wait. Typically they sail from port to port overnight. Twice we had a small boat come along side after leaving port with people that missed getting back on board in time.

8 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Check the size of the ship and age. The newer and larger ships are much more stable. Some of the smaller older ships pitch more at sea. The best spot for a cabin is mid ship and not fore or aft. We were on a cruise and ended up with a cabin 3 decks down and 3 cabins back from the bow of the ship. We hit rough seas the first night out and the bow was up and down quite a bit. My wife woke up feeling rather queezy the next morning. We picked up wrist bands that are elastic and have a little round nub the size of an eraser on the end of a pencil. They worked for the rest of the cruise.

Most say all inclusive except for alcohol.... if you are a drinker it can be a real surprise when you pay your bill at the end of the cruise. Some of the people were shocked at the total tab.

Shore excursions offered by the ship are not included and can be pricey. We have usually opted to get a local cab. One example was $100 to go from the docks and tour a local rum distillery. Our cab took us there and back, we paid the fee for the distillery and it was under $50. 

Most important of all.... make sure you are back on board before the ship sets off. They won't wait. Typically they sail from port to port overnight. Twice we had a small boat come along side after leaving port with people that missed getting back on board in time.

To add a few points to this....

The ship offers some great pills for people that might get sea sick, but if you are used to walking & feeling liking a drunken sailor, you will not notice a thing! 

Really is not that hard to bring your own booze on the ship to drink.

Excursions are not cheap - but if you are on one of the ships excursions, most cruise ship policies is the ship will not leave until you are checked back in, if you choose to do your own things, the ship will leave without you.

Carnival cruises for families.  And partiers.

If you have kids, Sign kids up for the different age themed clubs.  Drop them off and enjoy your evenings. 

By the Carnival alcohol package if you drink a fair bit.  I think its $50/day.  But costs $5 to $7 for most alcoholic drinks.   It is nice to have package because worst case it costs you only what you paid for package.  You can drink alot of drinks relaxing from 9am to midnight.  

First time cruising then dont be shy.  You think you want something, ask staff for it.

2 hours ago, 02sled said:

If you have kids Disney cruises are supposedly ideal with lots to keep the kids entertained... not cheap though which was the subject line.

So the gayest place on earth (land) is now also the gayest place on water.  Lol.

Here's a few things to know . One , I'm sure Cliff Claven partied like a rock star on his .

Now me , one thing is you don't need a window or porthole cuz your only in the room to sleep , get changed , and you can't see shit in the dark anyway , so you'll be outside when you want to see the sites or partying on deck .

At dinner , when you can't decide what of the five mains to have , order all of them .....  Because you can . Same goes with Apps and dessert . Order like a muthafuckin Boss .

I drank , and drank and my bill was nothing , and booze is cheap in international water , so don't buy on the ship until your there. 

And , at some point you realize that you should be there alone .

The ratio of women to men is crazy . And not old blue hairs . They're we're so many twenty something's girls  there just to party . 

Gay guys go on the gay ship ,straight guys are there with wives and GF's.

Girls go alone , all the time . 

Royal Caribbean all the way . 

Now go do this like A Captain ! 

Edited by StevieWonder
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

Here's a few things to know . One , I'm sure Cliff Claven partied like a rock star on his .

Now me , one thing is you don't need a window or porthole cuz your only in the room to sleep , get changed , and you can't see shit in the dark anyway , so you'll be outside when you want to see the sites or partying on deck .

At dinner , when you can't decide what of the five mains to have , order all of them .....  Because you can . Same goes with Apps and dessert . Order like a muthafuckin Boss .

I drank , and drank and my bill was nothing , and booze is cheap in international water , so don't buy on the ship until your there. 

The ratio of women to men is crazy . And not old blue hairs . They're we're so many twenty something's girls  there just to party . 

Now go so this like A Captain ! 

Probably the best advice right there. ^^^^^^ Just be on the look out for Rick from Arizona.  He might like a young Ben after a few drinks, don't get caught with him in your cabin.

10 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

Don't forget the milfs.  Your not going there to get married.

22 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

I would question the statement i drank and drank and booze was cheap!  Is $6.25 USD cheap for a beer?   

If you are looking for ballpark Royal Caribbean drink prices, here is what you can reasonably expect.

Drink Price
Beer $6.95 (American); $6.25 (Import)
Glass of wine $10.00 - $16.00
Bottled water $2.25
Cocktail $10.00 - 12.00
Can of Soda $2.95
Drink of the Day $8.00
Latte $4.25
Bottle of water (500 ml) $3.25

Here is the full drink menu

Old Fashioned

I sailed on Royal Caribean and also Carnival.  8 cruises now.  I have friends who have cruised over 40 times and are in their 40's. They love Carnival.

I obviously have different opinion then Stevie.

Buy the drink package if you are offered one.  Especially if you are a big drinker.  

Tip the bar staff well.  It pays off when they "remember" you as a good tipper. 

Get a balcony room.   Even a suite.  Shit its your holiday.  Go all out.  Get the space inside your room.  Why sleep in a dark hole?  

slip a couple plastic booze bottles in your checked bag  they might make it.

If you like wine buy boxed, take it out of box and pack bladder in your checked bag.  Normally it makes it.

15 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I sailed on Royal Caribean and also Carnival.  8 cruises now.  I have friends who have cruised over 40 times and are in their 40's. They love Carnival.

I obviously have different opinion then Stevie.

Buy the drink package if you are offered one.  Especially if you are a big drinker.  

Tip the bar staff well.  It pays off when they "remember" you as a good tipper. 

Get a balcony room.   Even a suite.  Shit its your holiday.  Go all out.  Get the space inside your room.  Why sleep in a dark hole?  

slip a couple plastic booze bottles in your checked bag  they might make it.

If you like wine buy boxed, take it out of box and pack bladder in your checked bag.  Normally it makes it.

I am sure there have been many changes over the years regarding free booze on ships etc and personality  I wouldn't  want to be restricted to a cruise with the family.   Hell a beach is torture  enough going past two days.   But Stevie's  ratios of women to men are hard to ignore so that would be more important for a single guy venturing out than if the booze is free.   If a guy can't score with those odds,  well. . . . 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

Lol ,

so go large on the room , that your hardly ever in . And then get some wine box's and bladder bags , to save money . 

Good times ..... 

Deeznutz, i believe you have enough cash to spend how you want and enjoy your vacation. 

Unless i am wrong on who you are.  

14 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I am sure he does, but the thread title is "cheap cruise".:lol:

Yes it is.

i guess the OP will need to define his question.

Does he want a cheap cruise or does he want to be cheap on a cruise?

yoga, do lots of yoga before you leave ............. you will need these skills just to take a crap in your state room :-) 

I've had big rooms with balcony and small rooms without.........best room i had was mid ship on inboard side (no window). Amazing sleep in "total" darkness. 

plan on gaining 1 lb per day at least ! ! the food and booze are free flowing.