Sled season prep has begun!

Highmark

On 10/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, teamgreen02 said:

I checked.  140 psi in both holes, no scoring on cylinders or pistons.  No cracks, yet anyways.

LOL, I'm the exact same.  I'll tear it down to the frame in the fall and have a fun time doing it.  In the winter, I don't like taking the side panels off to blow out the clutches.

If it happens, it is a nasty surprise.  Haven't seen it happen on a trail sled.

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

If it happens, it is a nasty surprise.  Haven't seen it happen on a trail sled.

Are there any differences between the engine life on a R XC and RR?  I haven't checked part numbers but even if they are the same the mapping could be different.  Do the XC guys do a race flash that doesn't ship from the factory?

7 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Are there any differences between the engine life on a R XC and RR?  I haven't checked part numbers but even if they are the same the mapping could be different.  Do the XC guys do a race flash that doesn't ship from the factory?

An ice sled, I'll typically put pistons and rings in it at 750 miles or so.  Terrain at 1500 miles.  Mapping is different, but I'm not sure how different. 

Some of us will get different flashes throughout the year.  

Some Polaris racers will have a different flash every weekend, if not a different one every day.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a primary clutch from a 2008 polaris rmk 700. It is a buddy's sled. 

I was checking it over and servicing it. 

One of the weight bushings was absolutely cooked and the roller for said bushing also has a little problem.

It would appear that the roller disintegrated one one of its bushings and the roller wore into the spider. 

Should he be looking for a used clutch or can a bushing be put in and it will be ok?

If he needs another clutch, can he get one with a starter gear and just take it off as his is pull start? 

Does anyone know what years and engine sizes he can get one off of?

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

So I have a primary clutch from a 2008 polaris rmk 700. It is a buddy's sled. 

I was checking it over and servicing it. 

One of the weight bushings was absolutely cooked and the roller for said bushing also has a little problem.

It would appear that the roller disintegrated one one of its bushings and the roller wore into the spider. Like the roller fits into a little recess that it wore into the aluminum.

Should he be looking for a used clutch or can a bushing be put in and it will be ok?

If he needs another clutch, can he get one with a starter gear and just take it off as his is pull start? 

Does anyone know what years and engine sizes he can get one off of?

20201116_185314.jpg

20201116_185333.jpg

20201116_185349.jpg

Edited by Tomas.

There is definitely wear on the roller but is it bad enough to rebuild or replace the clutch is another story.  Someone like Ben who is an expert in clutch will be along shortly I'm sure.

This is a Team primary that I junked.  Probably not going to leave me stranded in that condition right away but not long for the world either.

PXL_20200926_144909869.thumb.jpg.680f1d1198f5fe6283439f2d8e3750ce.jpg

7 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Weight pins or bushing worn out?

Probably both lol. They were getting replaced anyways as they need to be 6grams heavier. Was planning on replacing the pins while in there.

But that particular weight had a ton of slop. Way more than the other two. Like almost 3/16" side to side.

55 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

There is definitely wear on the roller but is it bad enough to rebuild or replace the clutch is another story.  Someone like Ben who is an expert in clutch will be along shortly I'm sure.

This is a Team primary that I junked.  Probably not going to leave me stranded in that condition right away but not long for the world either.

PXL_20200926_144909869.thumb.jpg.680f1d1198f5fe6283439f2d8e3750ce.jpg

I am worried about the spider where the bushing sits. Because the roller took away some material and I am not sure if I just put in new bushings, it just won't break the new bushing.

10 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Probably both lol. They were getting replaced anyways as they need to be 6grams heavier. Was planning on replacing the pins while in there.

But that particular weight had a ton of slop. Way more than the other two. Like almost 3/16" side to side.

How bad did it mill out the spider?

23 minutes ago, bladefever said:

How bad did it mill out the spider?

Enough to fit the end of the roller and it gets stuck. Probably the thickness of the bushing it is missing

Edited by Tomas.

18 hours ago, Tomas. said:

I am worried about the spider where the bushing sits. Because the roller took away some material and I am not sure if I just put in new bushings, it just won't break the new bushing.

How much does a new clutch cost?  If the weights are junk, rollers need a rebuild, and you are worried about the spider then you might as well just replace it.  Maybe find a used one if it isn't a sled that gets used much.  

The parts to rebuild the clutch are a couple hundred and then another couple hundred for all the tools required.  Might as well just buy a new clutch for that.

My old one will stay in the truck as a spare.

10 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

How much does a new clutch cost?  If the weights are junk, rollers need a rebuild, and you are worried about the spider then you might as well just replace it.  Maybe find a used one if it isn't a sled that gets used much.  

The parts to rebuild the clutch are a couple hundred and then another couple hundred for all the tools required.  Might as well just buy a new clutch for that.

He is finding used clutches for around $300cad

25 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Is there any reason one couldn't buy a clutch that had e-start kind just pull off the ring gear? Or will he need to find a clutch that is a non e-start only?

17 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Is there any reason one couldn't buy a clutch that had e-start kind just pull off the ring gear? Or will he need to find a clutch that is a non e-start only?

Just run it with the ring gear on. It's balanced as a unit.

2 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Well, on the Team clutch I have the ring gear is removable.  Those are usually held in with loctite.  Use heat and be patient.

You should be able to take the e-start ring gear off and replace with the one you already have.  Or just run it with the e-start ring gear, probably won't hurt anything.  

I suppose the only downside to having the ring gear without e-start is the added weight without a purpose. 

I think a brand new clutch is around $700 cad. He isn't looking to spend that kind of money on a sled that will hardly see any miles lol.