What do you guys use for a camera?

ckf

20 minutes ago, Polarissledder said:

Canon 40D

24-105L

10-22

100-300

35mm 1.4

Used to do Lightning/meteor storms and Northern lights.... Haven't dusted it off in over a year. :(

I had the 24-105 f/4 L when I had Canon gear. Great lens :bc:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ckf said:

I did the micro 4/3 thing for a while. I was happy with them for everything except bird photography. For some reason they had a hard time focusing.

Some of Oly's and Pana's lenses are slow as shit. I'm not very well versed in 4/3 telephoto shooting. Most of my stuff is down and dirty quick shots of 15 feet or less. Stuff that requires a super fast lens. I've never had an issue with either the 17mm Oly or 25mm Pana lens. While I will occasionally ambush a subject for a real interseting shot, I typically enjoy striking up a conversation with them and requesting a photo. I've never had anyone say no. Two years ago I was in NOLA on Jackson Square at 3am. I got some of the most interesting shots ever. Some crazy stuff goes on there at that time in the morning. This winter it's Miami for three days of shooting. 

Edited by spin_dry

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Some of Oly's and Pana's lenses are slow as shit. I'm not very well versed in 4/3 telephoto shooting. Most of my stuff is down and dirty quick shots of 15 feet or less. Stuff that requires a super fast lens. I've never had an issue with either the 17mm Oly or 25mm Pana lens. While I will occasionally ambush a subject for a real interseting shot, I typically enjoy striking up a conversation with them and requesting a photo. I've never had anyone say no. Two years ago I was in NOLA on Jackson Square at 3am. I got some of the most interesting shots ever. Some crazy stuff goes on there at that time in the morning. This winter it's Miami for three days of shooting. 

I had the Panasonic 100-300 f/4 - 5.6 for a telephoto lens at the time. I was coming from a Canon 300 f/4 that was super fast to focus. My fastest lens at the time was the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. That lens worked great! Also being a pancake lens I could fit it in my jacket pocket when it was on my E-PL5.

Post up some of your pics in the random photo thread :bc: 

The Sony A5000 that I got off of Ebay arrived today. It about the same size as my old Olympus micro 4/3 camera with a larger ACS-P sensor. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

10 hours ago, ckf said:

The Sony A5000 that I got off of Ebay arrived today. It about the same size as my old Olympus micro 4/3 camera with a larger ACS-P sensor. I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

give a report, i've had my eye on that unit. i doubt i'll switch at this point. too many lenses and just in too deep. plus that, my head is wrapped around the OMD system. i've got all of next week off work. i'm traveling over to the southwest part of the state for a shoot of some old barns and farm houses. early morning, sub zero temperature shooting. hopefully i get some frosty morning shots. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

give a report, i've had my eye on that unit. i doubt i'll switch at this point. too many lenses and just in too deep. plus that, my head is wrapped around the OMD system. i've got all of next week off work. i'm traveling over to the southwest part of the state for a shoot of some old barns and farm houses. early morning, sub zero temperature shooting. hopefully i get some frosty morning shots. 

Will do. I hear ya on being invested in a certain system. The only reason I jumped on the Sony was because I was able to steal a barely used unit on Ebay for $225. I've paid more than that for Point and Shoot cameras.

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I didn't take any stills today with the A5000, just video. So far so good. Much more dynamic range than the GoPro or Nikon Coolpix S7000. It's easy to adjust the exposure compensation to avoid the dreaded gray colored snow. This video is a combination of the GoPro Hero 3 Black, Nikon Coolpix S7000 and Sony A5000.

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

looks like enough snow  to go for a rip .

the 1 thing that sticks out in your video

2.39 a gal wtf still under 2 bucks in my parts

Gas here in town is about 10 cents more a gallon than it is in neighboring towns.

13 hours ago, ckf said:

I didn't take any stills today with the A5000, just video. So far so good. Much more dynamic range than the GoPro or Nikon Coolpix S7000. It's easy to adjust the exposure compensation to avoid the dreaded gray colored snow. This video is a combination of the GoPro Hero 3 Black, Nikon Coolpix S7000 and Sony A5000.

looks fucking cold. stay in the car. :lol: 

i really need to take a trip to VT. i've never been there. how's the quality on playback....say on your big screen? 

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

looks fucking cold. stay in the car. :lol: 

i really need to take a trip to VT. i've never been there. how's the quality on playback....say on your big screen? 

If you ever want to check out VT, do it in the fall :thumb:

The original file looks great on the big screen. The YT version sucks because of their compression.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really pleased with the Sony A5000. I like it so much that I put my Nikon D5300 and my Nikon 18-140mm lens on Ebay today. The lens sold already for a little more than I paid for it last year.  I should break even after the Ebay and PayPal fees. Refurbished camera gear for the win :yahoo:

Now I need to figure out what to get for a lens for the Sony. The 18-105mm might be the one :dunno:  http://www.adorama.com/iso18105e.html

• 4 months later...

I've been pretty happy with the Sony A5000 that I picked up last year for the most part. However, I did run in to a problem last week. I wanted to record a long video when driving but the camera shut down due to overheating. From What I've read that is a very common problem with the Sony's. Now I'm thinking of going back to a Micro 4/3 Panasonic. Anyone here have any experience with Panasonic cameras?

Nikon D800

Nikon 14-24 F2.8

Nikon 105 Macro

Nikon 24-120 variable F - great walkabout lens if you don't need to reach out too far.

Nikon 28-300 - great walkabout lens, but tends to creep and is a little heavy

Nikon 70-200 F2.8

Nikon 50 F1.4

Nikon 85 F1.4

All are FX  AF Nikkor lenses

Also use my iPhone 7 Plus.  Takes surprisingly good pics, but still not in the league of a real DSLR.

7 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Nikon D800

Nikon 14-24 F2.8

Nikon 105 Macro

Nikon 24-120 variable F - great walkabout lens if you don't need to reach out too far.

Nikon 28-300 - great walkabout lens, but tends to creep and is a little heavy

Nikon 70-200 F2.8

Nikon 50 F1.4

Nikon 85 F1.4

All are FX  AF Nikkor lenses

Also use my iPhone 7 Plus.  Takes surprisingly good pics, but still not in the league of a real DSLR.

You have some very nice equipment there. What do you shoot for the most part?

Just now, ckf said:

You have some very nice equipment there. What do you shoot for the most part?

Generally scenery while on vacations.  My neighbor is a semi-pro and has steered me to Nikon equipment.  We try not to have too many duplicate lenses.  He's been trying to get me to go on one of his excursions with him.  Last summer he wanted me to go to the Galapagos Islands with him and this winter to Yellowknife to photograph the Northern Lights.  I probably should take him up on one of his offers.  I'm sure they will be quite the adventure.  The Galapagos would have been amazing.

• Like 1

Just now, SmeeAgain said:

Generally scenery while on vacations.  My neighbor is a semi-pro and has steered me to Nikon equipment.  We try not to have too many duplicate lenses.  He's been trying to get me to go on one of his excursions with him.  Last summer he wanted me to go to the Galapagos Islands with him and this winter to Yellowknife to photograph the Northern Lights.  I probably should take him up on one of his offers.  I'm sure they will be quite the adventure.  The Galapagos would have been amazing.

Nice! Take advantage of any opportunity that you can to learn from your neighbor if you enjoy photography. I was very fortunate that rob took me under his wing and taught me a ton of stuff. He still helps me out from time to time with color and exposure correction with my drone videos.

I've shot both Canon and Nikon over the years. They both have their advantages. IMO Nikon has a better camera body and Canon has better lenses, especially for the money. Both are excellent though. Sony seems to be the one that's really on the ball lately as far as bodies go. I just don't think they are there yet with there lenses.

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

Nice! Take advantage of any opportunity that you can to learn from your neighbor if you enjoy photography. I was very fortunate that rob took me under his wing and taught me a ton of stuff. He still helps me out from time to time with color and exposure correction with my drone videos.

I've shot both Canon and Nikon over the years. They both have their advantages. IMO Nikon has a better camera body and Canon has better lenses, especially for the money. Both are excellent though. Sony seems to be the one that's really on the ball lately as far as bodies go. I just don't think they are there yet with there lenses.

Ron told me that when he goes on his excursions, there are always guys with Canon cameras that puke and only occasionally do you have a Nikon that fails.  I'm sure a Canon guy would tell you the opposite! LOL  When I was deciding what to go with, I noticed Canon seemed to have a higher selection and seemed a little cheaper.  Ron pointed out that when you actually compare identical lenses (FX), they are pretty similar in price.   He has been photographing the night sky recently.  I try to learn as much as possible and he's always getting with professional photographers that he meets on his excursions to learn from them.  He's a goldmine of info!  He's an expert with Photoshop as well.  He taught it for years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

Ron told me that when he goes on his excursions, there are always guys with Canon cameras that puke and only occasionally do you have a Nikon that fails.  I'm sure a Canon guy would tell you the opposite! LOL  When I was deciding what to go with, I noticed Canon seemed to have a higher selection and seemed a little cheaper.  Ron pointed out that when you actually compare identical lenses (FX), they are pretty similar in price.   He has been photographing the night sky recently.  I try to learn as much as possible and he's always getting with professional photographers that he meets on his excursions to learn from them.  He's a goldmine of info!  He's an expert with Photoshop as well.  He taught it for years.

All I can say is neither rob or I ever had a problem with Canon gear over the years :dunno:  I'm not brand loyal by any means. I got rid of my Canon gear after I made the switch to Olympus Micro 4/3 gear about 5 years ago. I got tired of carrying around the heavy bodies and lenses. I loved the micro 4/3 and could print as big as I needed to with them. They were great for landscape stuff. My problem with them was the slower focus for bird photography. That's the reason I went back to DSLR's. I bought a used Nikon from Ebay to try and then ended up buying a new Nikon D7200 & D5300, along with a few lenses. I'm going to keep the 7200 & Sigma 150-600 lens for birds and wildlife. I want my other camera to be able to shoot landscapes and record 4K video. That's why I was considering the Panasonic G85. I was planning on upgrading the Sony A5000 to an A6300 until I had the overheating problem the other day.

Damn, I feel like @Zambroski with these longer posts :lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redheaded Stepchild said:

DSLR's that I have are Nikon D4S and Nikon D700. I have for lenses a Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, and just sold my 70-200 f2.8 for the Nikon VRII 70-200 f2.8. 

Sounds like a nice camera kit. How much did the new 70-200 f2.8 set you back? Good lenses have gone way up in recent years.

2 hours ago, ckf said:

All I can say is neither rob or I ever had a problem with Canon gear over the years :dunno:  I'm not brand loyal by any means. I got rid of my Canon gear after I made the switch to Olympus Micro 4/3 gear about 5 years ago. I got tired of carrying around the heavy bodies and lenses. I loved the micro 4/3 and could print as big as I needed to with them. They were great for landscape stuff. My problem with them was the slower focus for bird photography. That's the reason I went back to DSLR's. I bought a used Nikon from Ebay to try and then ended up buying a new Nikon D7200 & D5300, along with a few lenses. I'm going to keep the 7200 & Sigma 150-600 lens for birds and wildlife. I want my other camera to be able to shoot landscapes and record 4K video. That's why I was considering the Panasonic G85. I was planning on upgrading the Sony A5000 to an A6300 until I had the overheating problem the other day.

Damn, I feel like @Zambroski with these longer posts :lol:

I can certainly attest to the weight of the DSLRs.  With all the lenses I have accumulated, I probably won't be changing brands any time soon  I certainly don't believe any one brand is overall superior to the others.  If that were the case, it would be the only one in business.  I find it amusing when you hear of someone switching all their stuff for a different brand because they feel it's so much better.  Even Ron says that every brand makes equipment that the limiting factor is the user.  I would like to get into bird photography.  Ron went up to the UP for a bird photographing workshop 2 years ago.  His pics were awesome!  I would think the purchase of a camera with a DX sensor would be advantageous for birds.  I just need to put some more time in the hobby, but that's probably the truth with just about anything I do.  How is the 150-600 Sigma?  That's some really good reach!  Do you know if it works with a DX sensor?

26 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

I can certainly attest to the weight of the DSLRs.  With all the lenses I have accumulated, I probably won't be changing brands any time soon  I certainly don't believe any one brand is overall superior to the others.  If that were the case, it would be the only one in business.  I find it amusing when you hear of someone switching all their stuff for a different brand because they feel it's so much better.  Even Ron says that every brand makes equipment that the limiting factor is the user.  I would like to get into bird photography.  Ron went up to the UP for a bird photographing workshop 2 years ago.  His pics were awesome!  I would think the purchase of a camera with a DX sensor would be advantageous for birds.  I just need to put some more time in the hobby, but that's probably the truth with just about anything I do.  How is the 150-600 Sigma?  That's some really good reach!  Do you know if it works with a DX sensor?

Bird photography can be a very addicting & expensive hobby, LOL.  l think the Sigma 150-600 is a great lens for the money. The sweet spot seems to be around 500mm-550mm. At 600mm the images are a little soft. I'm sure you already know you can't beat a prime lens when it comes to lenses, but the long ones are so expensive. The Sigma is a good compromise in my opinion.  It's nice to be able to change focal length when it comes to birds and wildlife. When I shot Canon I had the 300 f/4 IS. That lens was as sharp as a tack. Rob even bought one after seeing my bird pics, but he must have gotten a bad one because he wasn't happy with it and ended up selling it. 

Yes, you can use the Sigma on a full frame sensor. The great thing about lenses is that they really hold their value. I've bought refurbished lenses on sale and sold them later on Ebay for more than I paid for them.

Fucking A, did @Zambroski steal my password and type these long posts :lol:

Primes are amazing, but you sure pay for them!   I was thinking about getting a long prime last year until I looked them up.  400mm Prime Nikkor $11,000+ and the 600mm is over $12,000!  Yea, that's a no!  LOL  I'll have to check on the Sigma.  :bc:

LOL on the long posts!

• Like 1