What do you guys use for a camera?

ckf

Just curious as to what everyone uses for a camera. Smartphone? Point & Shoot? Mirrorless? DSLR?

I just snagged another one last night on Ebay, a Sony A5000 mirrorless that I'm excited to try. Here's my list of cameras:

DSLR: Nikon D5300 with 18-140mm lens & Nikon D7100 with a Sigma 150-600mm lens

Mirrorless: Sony A5000 with 16-50mm lens on the way.

Point & Shoot: Canon S95 & Nikon S7000

Drone: DJI Phantom 4

18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

you know how much i love taking pictures so smartphones all i got unless I want to dig into some drawers searching for old ones I've tossed aside. 

I thought you picked up a DSLR a few years ago?

16 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

Nikon coolpics is all I use I do a few forclosed vacant homes for banks that require time stamp and is all I need for pesonaal pics

I just picked up my Coolpix S7000 a few weeks ago because my Canon S95 won't make HD 1080 videos. The older Canon S95 does much better with photos because of the larger sensor.

Just now, Angry ginger said:

i bought the wife  Canon T5,  never taken a picture with it.  and to be honest the cost per picture she's taken that was worth a damn is probably $20 

DSLR's are not for everyone. The smaller point & shoots are a better option for most people, they take great photos and are easier to use.   The major benefits of DSLR's are depth of field and the ability to print large photos.

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

Nikon D5 camera with 35mm to 70mm & 70mm to 210mm Nikkor lenses from my old non digital SLR as well as Nikkor digital AF 18mm to 55mm & 70mm to 300mm. Canon Powershot Elf 360

Very nice on the bold. Do you do photography as a side business or just a hobby? 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Very nice on the bold. Do you do photography as a side business or just a hobby? 

Just a hobby. I was getting close to retirement and thought I was pretty good with things like depth of field, filters and such on my old 35MM SLR. I took a couple of courses and learned a whole lot more. I got it thinking I could maybe do wedding photography as a part time business in retirement. I used to go to quarter horse shows with my wife and take pictures of the competitors and their horses and sell those a while back. It kept me busy while my wife was busy with her horse.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

LOL, that's a blast from the past :thumb:

That's what I had when I was a hid. My grandparents gave it to me. My wife is using a Canon Rebel SL1. She likes it. I don't know a damn thing about it. I just point to stuff that I think might be a good picture.:lol:

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

Just a hobby. I was getting close to retirement and thought I was pretty good with things like depth of field, filters and such on my old 35MM SLR. I took a couple of courses and learned a whole lot more. I got it thinking I could maybe do wedding photography as a part time business in retirement. I used to go to quarter horse shows with my wife and take pictures of the competitors and their horses and sell those a while back. It kept me busy while my wife was busy with her horse.

I know there is money to be made doing wedding photography, but it doesn't interest me a bit :bc:

1 minute ago, T1R9sledder said:

That's what I had when I was a hid. My grandparents gave it to me. My wife is using a Canon Rebel SL1. She likes it. I don't know a damn thing about it. I just point to stuff that I think might be a good picture.:lol:

I've read good things about SL1. That was one of the cameras I was considering getting for video, but ended up finding a good price on the Sony A5000 on Ebay last night :bc: 

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

I know there is money to be made doing wedding photography, but it doesn't interest me a bit :bc:

I've read good things about SL1. That was one of the cameras I was considering getting for video, but ended up finding a good price on the Sony A5000 on Ebay last night :bc: 

I know she's made good use of it.:bc:

• Like 1

Nikon D750, D7000, D5100 for dslrs.  Lenses... let's see, Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 20 f/1.8, 50 f/1.4, micro 105 f/2.8, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 kit lenses, and a tokina 11-16 f/2.8.  I think that's it.  Plus filters, grips, flashes, wireless triggers, all that good stuff.  They've been pretty much collecting dust for the last few months.  I'm sure I'll pick them up again sometime soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I just picked up my Coolpix S7000 a few weeks ago because my Canon S95 won't make HD 1080 videos. The older Canon S95 does much better with photos because of the larger sensor.

DSLR's are not for everyone. The smaller point & shoots are a better option for most people, they take great photos and are easier to use.   The major benefits of DSLR's are depth of field and the ability to print large photos.

For sure, I bought my wife one with all the bells and whistles and she rarely uses it.  For the most part I use my MotoX, linked to automatically upload to our Dropbox for both smartphones.  Never have to worry about losing photos again.

• Like 1

i got rid of my cinder block two years ago. picked up an Oly OMD E-M5 and haven't looked back. i do mostly street photography of people from cities and rural areas across the country. the OMD is small, easy to handle, and fast. i use either a 17mm or 12mm Oly lens. sometimes the 12-40 Pro lens when shooting in rain. I prefer prime lens. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

i got rid of my cinder block two years ago. picked up an Oly OMD E-M5 and haven't looked back. i do mostly street photography of people from cities and rural areas across the country. the OMD is small, easy to handle, and fast. i use either a 17mm or 12mm Oly lens. sometimes the 12-40 Pro lens when shooting in rain. I prefer prime lens. 

I did the micro 4/3 thing for a while. I was happy with them for everything except bird photography. For some reason they had a hard time focusing.

3 minutes ago, dirtybeacher said:

60d, f1.8 prime lens, kit lens, and 2.8 200mm

older gopro2

sony action cam

and a canon point and shoot that I mount to my kites for video  

I use my iphone and GoPro the most these days  

I forgot about my GoPro Hero3 black :bc:

• Like 1