What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?

What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?

• SkiDoo XPS
    • Polaris
    • Arctic Cat
    • Yamalube
    • Amsoil
    • Klotz
    • Red Line
    • Royal Purple
    • Other

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

My place is west of Mt Arvon by about 35 min. JD has come down and dropped by me. Haven't rode Twin Lakes or north of the Bridge in years. Very little pressure by my place. Closest hotel is 30 miles. 

shhh we don't speak of Arvon in open forums.

Shell Advance dino in the XLT and Mobil-1 0W-40 synthetic in the Vector.

The XLT has no power valves and it drinks the Shell so I'm glad it doesn't require synthetic and it is still relatively cheap.

The Mobil 1 I run in the Vector is the European formula and I usually get it on sale. 

10 hours ago, irv said:

Shell Advance dino in the XLT and Mobil-1 0W-40 synthetic in the Vector.

The XLT has no power valves and it drinks the Shell so I'm glad it doesn't require synthetic and it is still relatively cheap.

The Mobil 1 I run in the Vector is the European formula and I usually get it on sale. 

Same here, Shell Advance regular in my 2 strokes and will be running Mobil 1 0-40 in my 4 stroke.

Edited by Jumpin Jack

48 minutes ago, Jumpin Jack said:

Same here, Shell Advance regular in my 2 strokes and will be running Mobil 1 0-40 in my 4 stroke.

I did one oil change using Yamalube and a Yamaha filter and it cost me over $90.00 dollars! 

Been using Mobil-1 since with Hi-Flo filters and I haven't looked back. An oil/filter change now costs me roughly $45 a year. Much cheaper than Yamalube!

I assume Doo oil/filters are also expensive? 

53 minutes ago, irv said:

I did one oil change using Yamalube and a Yamaha filter and it cost me over $90.00 dollars! 

Been using Mobil-1 since with Hi-Flo filters and I haven't looked back. An oil/filter change now costs me roughly $45 a year. Much cheaper than Yamalube!

I assume Doo oil/filters are also expensive? 

yep, 1200 Skidoo kit is $80 for synthetic, filter and new drain plug seals, the about same as getting my Toyota done at the dealer, except it takes 8 liters of synthetic and they do it!

29 minutes ago, barberch said:

yep, 1200 Skidoo kit is $80 for synthetic, filter and new drain plug seals, the about same as getting my Toyota done at the dealer, except it takes 8 liters of synthetic and they do it!

Thought it might be around the same.

What's the talk on Dootalk, Chris? Do some also use Mobil-1 or something different or do most stick with Doo oil?

After my first oil change, I read numerous posts on TY and Bob is the oil guy about using non-manu oils and all had been using them for years.

I chose the Mobil-1 0W-40 Euro formula as it has an ingredient, (zinc, I believe?) that isn't in North American oils, that is beneficial or good for our engines.

I have also read numerous times that Hi-Flo makes their filters for Yamaha, and some dealers even carry them. I get those at Clarington cycle for under/around $10.00 bucks.

OK, another question. I changed the oil and filter in the spring of 2015 as part of the summerization process. I only ran the sled to circulate the oil and to check the level.

The sled has sat silent, in my garage, since then until this week-end. Would you change the oil and filter or am I good to go? Like mentioned, I use synthetic. Mobil-1 0W-40 European formula. 

My situation is similar. We had two new sleds that we picked up October of last year. Basically they had one trip out. One with 300 km and one with 100 km. I asked my dealer what to do, called another dealer for a second opinion. Both told me to not worry about changing the oil or filter and that I would be fine.

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

My situation is similar. We had two new sleds that we picked up October of last year. Basically they had one trip out. One with 300 km and one with 100 km. I asked my dealer what to do, called another dealer for a second opinion. Both told me to not worry about changing the oil or filter and that I would be fine.

would you let the oil in your car sit for a year and a half even it if had little use? 

15 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Oils have come a long ways over the years, and running synthetic is definitely an added bonus.

If mine wasn't synthetic, I'd change it out in a heartbeat knowing dino oil, especially if opened/used, breaks down/ages a lot quicker than synthetic does.

13 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

would you let the oil in your car sit for a year and a half even it if had little use? 

I am likely about as anal a guy can be about oil changes, (except for some at bob is the oil guy .com :lol:) but having no miles/hours on oil is definitely different than having a some miles, or driven very slow where moisture, etc, can't burn off.

In that case, acids can form, moisture can cause damage etc. If that were the case with me, I wouldn't think twice about changing it out, but since I am running synthetic and my sled has zero miles on it since, except for a quick warm up right after the last oil change, I think I will be fine.

This is likely a topic where it could be debated to death? Some will say I had better and some will say no, I have nothing to worry about. 

Personally, I think I am going to leave it, and my gear oil, as both are synthetic and both have zero miles on them.

23 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Synthetic and a net new engine versus one that has been used for a while could make a difference. In my case it's currently just over a year on a brand new engine. There will be an oil change and filter at the recommended break in distance.

On my truck even when you do an oil change, even if you do a flush that few ever do it never gets all the old oil out since it's been driven. They also recommend 8000 km on the truck on regular oil and if I rely on the trucks computer system it's a lot more than 8,000 km.

Apple and orange... kind of why I checked with two dealers who could have easily gotten money out of me by saying change it but they both didn't.

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Synthetic and a net new engine versus one that has been used for a while could make a difference. In my case it's currently just over a year on a brand new engine. There will be an oil change and filter at the recommended break in distance.

On my truck even when you do an oil change, even if you do a flush that few ever do it never gets all the old oil out since it's been driven. They also recommend 8000 km on the truck on regular oil and if I rely on the trucks computer system it's a lot more than 8,000 km.

Apple and orange... kind of why I checked with two dealers who could have easily gotten money out of me by saying change it but they both didn't.

Maybe their hoping to get more money out of you? $100 dollar oil change or $2500+ engine job. 

In anything that has any miles on it then a once a year, at minimum, oil change is recommended. It will likely state that in your owners manual and/or on the bottle of oil regardless of miles. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 12/11/2016 at 4:54 PM, irv said:

Maybe their hoping to get more money out of you? $100 dollar oil change or $2500+ engine job. 

In anything that has any miles on it then a once a year, at minimum, oil change is recommended. It will likely state that in your owners manual and/or on the bottle of oil regardless of miles. 

My parents are in their 80's now. Dad lost his license so they sold mom's car 2 years ago (a 2002 Neon with 50k kms on it) and kept dad's '12 Escape (less than 50k kms currently after 4 years). They had been going to the same mechanic I use for all service but he retired. The new mechanic I use is a bit further for them so they decided to go to a different guy who was closer.

They don't put on even 10k kms per year. The new mechanic tells them they need to change the oil 4 times per year/ every 3 months.

Of course I tell her that's a waste. Put in a synthetic and change it once a year. Even if the guy said twice a year I could go with it. Now she questions whether she should be taking it to this guy at all.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 12/11/2016 at 4:12 PM, Kev144 said:

Ya, I'd have no problem with that. I don't think I've changed the oil in my old truck in 2, maybe 3 years now. I changed the oil in my Harley this year after 2 years.

I'm lucky to put on 500-1000 kms on either of those in a year.

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, I'd have no problem with that. I don't think I've changed the oil in my old truck in 2, maybe 3 years now. I changed the oil in my Harley this year after 2 years.

I'm lucky to put on 500-1000 kms on either of those in a year.

Oil does have a shelf life.  

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

My parents are in their 80's now. Dad lost his license so they sold mom's car 2 years ago (a 2002 Neon with 50k kms on it) and kept dad's '12 Escape (less than 50k kms currently after 4 years). They had been going to the same mechanic I use for all service but he retired. The new mechanic I use is a bit further for them so they decided to go to a different guy who was closer.

They don't put on even 10k kms per year. The new mechanic tells them they need to change the oil 4 times per year/ every 3 months.

Of course I tell her that's a waste. Put in a synthetic and change it once a year. Even if the guy said twice a year I could go with it. Now she questions whether she should be taking it to this guy at all.

If you go full synthetic, I wouldn't change it more than once a year. 

On 12/11/2016 at 10:06 AM, irv said:

Thought it might be around the same.

What's the talk on Dootalk, Chris? Do some also use Mobil-1 or something different or do most stick with Doo oil?

After my first oil change, I read numerous posts on TY and Bob is the oil guy about using non-manu oils and all had been using them for years.

I chose the Mobil-1 0W-40 Euro formula as it has an ingredient, (zinc, I believe?) that isn't in North American oils, that is beneficial or good for our engines.

I have also read numerous times that Hi-Flo makes their filters for Yamaha, and some dealers even carry them. I get those at Clarington cycle for under/around $10.00 bucks.

a bit of both. I just find the kit giving me everything i need is convenient and in the overall scheme of things is cheap.

On 12/13/2016 at 11:32 PM, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Oil has been in the ground for millions of years.   It doesn't go bad 

On 12/13/2016 at 11:21 PM, Legend said:

What is it?

link one:dunno: 

Edited by Kev144