Closed Trail Thread

Renegade X

Since it seems the OFSC doesn't want to post anything about trails closing I think we need to get the word about closures. Post what you know. Here is one that I know of:

Trail 302 on Hwy 35 is closed from Sandy Hook Rd South down to the tunnel.  You will have to go South at the Long Sault Club house to access the Ganaraska Forest

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Was it a Bill 100 issue?

Apparently.

There is a thread on OC called "Carling Trailblazers major trail closure" which has some details of what all has gone on.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16531-carling-trailblazers-major-trail-closure/&page=1

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:
20 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I believe so.  

Figures.  Hopefully it gets figured out

I believe so.  

I believe so.  

Apparently.

There is a thread on OC called "Carling Trailblazers major trail closure" which has some details of what all has gone on.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16531-carling-trailblazers-major-trail-closure/&page=1

Headed over there now to do some reading.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Since it seems the OFSC doesn't want to post anything about trails closing I think we need to get the word about closures. Post what you know. Here is one that I know of:

Trail 302 on Hwy 35 is closed from Sandy Hook Rd South down to the tunnel.  You will have to go South at the Long Sault Club house to access the Ganaraska Forest

I doubt the OFSC even knows about most of the trail closures. Once the winter gets into gear and the online map gets updated, those closed sections will be removed or shown in red for the season.

We lost a trail section here several months ago. We lost another just a few weeks ago.

23 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I doubt the OFSC even knows about most of the trail closures. Once the winter gets into gear and the online map gets updated, those closed sections will be removed or shown in red for the season.

We lost a trail section here several months ago. We lost another just a few weeks ago.

I can not see how that would be the case but uh I guess.  Maybe they don't want the news out when its permit buying time

1 hour ago, Renegade X said:

I can not see how that would be the case but uh I guess.  Maybe they don't want the news out when its permit buying time

Maybe for a number of them the fat lady hasn't sung yet and there is still negotiations going on in the hopes of saving some of those trails. A land owner can change their mind from no you can't have a trail on my property to yes you can just as quickly as they can go from yes to no. Those trail negotiations and status changes are at the club level and not the OFSC level. They won't know until the individual clubs provide an update.

Edited by 02sled

13 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Maybe for a number of them the fat lady hasn't sung yet and there is still negotiations going on in the hopes of saving some of those trails. A land owner can change their mind from no you can't have a trail on my property to yes you can just as quickly as they can go from yes to no. Those trail negotiations and status changes are at the club level and not the OFSC level. They won't know until the individual clubs provide an update.

Sure. 

Come on guys, the OFSC is the clubs.

All the OFSC does is act as an umbrella for the clubs.

The OFSC kind of insulates the clubs from a lot of stuff like permits, do you honestly think we would have any kind of system if each club had to have some kind of agreement with MTO.

Yes the OFSC has seemed like big brother the last couple of years with the new mandate but remember the mandate has been passed by the BOG ( 1 elected governor per district who is a club member somewhere ).

I really get tired of people bashing the OFSC/BOG/clubs when they really have no idea what's going on or how the system works.

19 hours ago, soupkid said:

Come on guys, the OFSC is the clubs.

All the OFSC does is act as an umbrella for the clubs.

The OFSC kind of insulates the clubs from a lot of stuff like permits, do you honestly think we would have any kind of system if each club had to have some kind of agreement with MTO.

Yes the OFSC has seemed like big brother the last couple of years with the new mandate but remember the mandate has been passed by the BOG ( 1 elected governor per district who is a club member somewhere ).

I really get tired of people bashing the OFSC/BOG/clubs when they really have no idea what's going on or how the system works.

Who was bashing?

On 11/28/2016 at 11:16 AM, Renegade X said:

Hopefully we will still be able to get from the parking lot to the tunnel?

17 hours ago, barberch said:

Hopefully we will still be able to get from the parking lot to the tunnel?

You will be able to get down the whole trail but it wont be groomed. It is all public property except through the farm field.

Soupkid, do you think I'm bashing by saying they're not saying anything cause it buying time??

57 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

You will be able to get down the whole trail but it wont be groomed. It is all public property except through the farm field.

Soupkid, do you think I'm bashing by saying they're not saying anything cause it buying time??

Not at all.

A lot of the clubs are still working with land owners to get land use(my club is) 

All I'm getting at is the OFSC is the clubs.

36 minutes ago, soupkid said:

Not at all.

A lot of the clubs are still working with land owners to get land use(my club is) 

All I'm getting at is the OFSC is the clubs.

I'm sure your club isn't the only one still working on getting signed LUP's. To declare a trail closed at this point when there isn't any firm decision yet would be a disservice. If you tell everyone a trail is closed while you are still working with a land owner then he may say heck with you... you seem to know what decision I'm going to make already or a landowner who has said no to the trail but you are in negotiations with the land owner may not respond well either. There may even be something as simple as a reroute even though a reroute does take work. That reroute may even be across a different part of the same land owners property because his needs have changed. So many variables. You don't make changes until the fat lady sings.

Edited by 02sled

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I'm sure your club isn't the only one still working on getting signed LUP's. To declare a trail closed at this point when there isn't any firm decision yet would be a disservice. If you tell everyone a trail is closed while you are still working with a land owner then he may say heck with you... you seem to know what decision I'm going to make already or a landowner who has said no to the trail but you are in negotiations with the land owner may not respond well either. There may even be something as simple as a reroute even though a reroute does take work. That reroute may even be across a different part of the same land owners property because his needs have changed. So many variables. You don't make changes until the fat lady sings.

It's December 1st today.  I would hope a business does not wait till the last minute to get things done like this. 

31 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

It's December 1st today.  I would hope a business does not wait till the last minute to get things done like this. 

Who says that the clubs are waiting to the last minute to get things done. A land owner tells you in perhaps September he has decided to discontinue allowing the trail on their property. Representatives from the club meet with the land owner and try to change their mind. The land owner says I'll think about it, let's talk in a month or so. You don't say make up your mind now or forget it. It is their land that they let us use. Do you think that maybe just maybe the land owner is gradually coming around but has yet to commit. Don't forget there is / was an affinity for that land owner to let us use their land in the past.

You can't force a land owner to do anything and I am sure that as soon as a land owner says you can't use my property the volunteers, don't forget the club people are volunteers are looking for alternatives for a reroute (if there are any).

We have seen trails closed mid season and we have seen trails reopen mid season in the past.

The OFSC can only rely on the information the club volunteers provide regarding trail availability.

We had a trail closed a couple of years ago and came up with a reroute that wasn't pretty. We continued to work with the land owner and eventually reopened access on their property. It's never as simple as black and white.

If you want to know the status of a specific clubs trails, give them a call, send them an email or better yet volunteer with that club and work to ensure the trails stay open.

Edited by 02sled

On 12/1/2016 at 10:16 AM, Renegade X said:

The section of trail from the tunnel north to Concession Road 10 and then if there is enough snow Concession Road 10 will be groomed to where E108 comes out of the swamp. The theory being that if the swamp area doesn't freeze quickly there is still a way around the swamp when it's not frozen and still allow easy access to the parking lot.