Closed Trail Thread

Renegade X

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 10:48 PM, 800 Dragon said:

Ofsc is in trouble TOO MANY DRUNKS ON OUR TRAILS  ! ZERO TOLERANCE !!

Get rid of the "drunks" and the OFSC would be toast for sure. Going by the current social narrative "drunks" would likely constitute 50% of permit buyers if not more.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 11:01 AM, Pete Z said:

Get rid of the "drunks" and the OFSC would be toast for sure. Going by the current social narrative "drunks" would likely constitute 50% of permit buyers if not more.

Off trail rider drunks and cans are KILLING the sport sbyl but that is fact !

4 hours ago, 800 Dragon said:

Off trail rider drunks and cans are KILLING the sport sbyl but that is fact !

Hey Draggy, does the new ONTARIO GANG know how you ratted the ONTARIO BOYS out to the police, during the PET RUN in 2007/8!!! 

Why don't ya' tell them what ya' did????????

• 7 months later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

Major trail closures in my area. The local conservation authority, GRCA, has denied access to the their properties due to a disagreement over the insurance. (Don't ask me for details, that's about all I know).

Clubs that I have heard are affected so far include FEB (Fergus, Elora, Belwood), Elmira, Conestogo Lake, and Hillsburgh.

At this point, this means the Bridgeport Snowmobile club where my house is located is now land locked.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Major trail closures in my area. The local conservation authority, GRCA, has denied access to the their properties due to a disagreement over the insurance. (Don't ask me for details, that's about all I know).

Clubs that I have heard are affected so far include FEB (Fergus, Elora, Belwood), Elmira, Conestogo Lake, and Hillsburgh.

At this point, this means the Bridgeport Snowmobile club where my house is located is now land locked.

That sucks, Tim. Every year it seems there is something. :sad:

Just now, irv said:

That sucks, Tim. Every year it seems there is something. :sad:

Yep, every year its another nail in the snowmobiling coffin.

The Conestoga Lake Club has their clubhouse on GRCA property. Now they can't access it. The trail has gone through there for 45 years but now the insurance company just stomps its foot down.

Crazy.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The Conestoga Lake Club has their clubhouse on GRCA property. Now they can't access it. The trail has gone through there for 45 years but now the insurance company just stomps its foot down.

Crazy.

Is it something to do with GRCA requiring the OFSC's insurance to cover liability all year around, not just during sleding season?

Time to let these fucking kayaker thrill seekers start paying their own way.:lol:

48 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Is it something to do with GRCA requiring the OFSC's insurance to cover liability all year around, not just during sleding season?

Time to let these fucking kayaker thrill seekers start paying their own way.:lol:

Its all over Facebook now. A couple of the comments mentioned requiring insurance for the entire year and someone else commented that they wanted the directors of the club to be held directly accountable for any incident related to the trail.

Edit: doing some more reading this morning and it looks like the OFSC changed the wording in its agreement that states the insurance is only in place during the sledding season. Apparently there was an ATV accident some where that brought on this change in the wording.

Edited by Blackstar

On 12/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, Blackstar said:

Crazy.

What will really suck is when those in district 5 pack it in. Permit money from down there feeds many clubs.

13 hours ago, ManOnManOral said:

What will really suck is when those in district 5 pack it in. Permit money from down there feeds many clubs.

A lot of permit buyers down here and they want to ride local. The last 5 years have been tough as many trails in D5 have not opened due to lack of snow. I have to assume that most who are still in the sport have a trailer. But there is no doubt that these closures will put that last nail in the coffin for those who have been hanging on.

Lake Conestoga, FEB and Arthur are all in D9. They are the ones seeing the major closures.

Now , Its all over Facebook that Midland/Penetanguishene have closed trails for the same reasons.

Its an epidemic and we are probably lucky to have the trails we do for this winter. If the OFSC can't rectity the issue, I see mass closures for next season.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

A lot of permit buyers down here and they want to ride local. The last 5 years have been tough as many trails in D5 have not opened due to lack of snow. I have to assume that most who are still in the sport have a trailer. But there is no doubt that these closures will put that last nail in the coffin for those who have been hanging on.

Lake Conestoga, FEB and Arthur are all in D9. They are the ones seeing the major closures.

Now , Its all over Facebook that Midland/Penetanguishene have closed trails for the same reasons.

Its an epidemic and we are probably lucky to have the trails we do for this winter. If the OFSC can't rectity the issue, I see mass closures for next season.

How can the ofSC take on liability for some bike rider suing cause they flipped over the handlebars during the summer while freeloading.

20 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How can the ofSC take on liability for some bike rider suing cause they flipped over the handlebars during the summer while freeloading.

At this point I think we are all speculating as I haven't seen any official statement from the OFSC (which most people seem to be pretty pissed about on social media).

But yes, some have said it relates to these agencies wanting year round coverage for the trail.

The other wording I've read is that the OFSC's land use agreement states that the insurance will only be in effect during the snowmobiling season and only covers incidents related to snowmobiling.

So what defines the snowmobiling season? Grooming has started? Snow on the ground? Stakes in place? Or a set date, say Dec 1? How would a club re-deck a bridge in July if there is no insurance?

I see both sides in this.

The OFSC wants to keep insurance as low as possible so they are trying to word the agreement so as to not be held responsible for anything more than they have to.

And the other side is saying "If you want to put a trail on our property then you will be responsible for any and all activity that results from the trail being in place."

Mix in legal departments and insurance companies on both sides and you can see why they can't come to terms.

Liability, liability, liability.......it will kill us all.

I have a snowplowing business. You should hear some of the horror stories with liability in this industry.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The midland/penatang issues look to be resolved this coming week.

2 hours ago, Reevester said:

The midland/penatang issues look to be resolved this coming week.

I did read that on OC. Hopefully that's the case. I know Midland has had trouble in the past. Weren't they the ones who tried to get the snowmobile club to pay for road damage a few years ago?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I did read that on OC. Hopefully that's the case. I know Midland has had trouble in the past. Weren't they the ones who tried to get the snowmobile club to pay for road damage a few years ago?

I can't recall. :dunno:

Wow, good news from my local club. I can ride from home again....if we ever get snow.

A big thank you goes out to Mark , Martin and Brent of the Fergus Elora Bellwood S/C for their efforts helping us get reconnected to OFSC trails of Elmira District 5. Due to the unfortunate Trail issues with the GRCA and a bridge closure on the south end of our trails we were on an island of our own segregated from OFSC trails out of our area. We have a temporary route to get us connected to our neighbouring club Elmira through a small portion of District 9 please respect the landowner's on this route it is hopefully a one-year temporary route and we want to make a good name for ourselves by being very respectful and thankful for the help of landowners and the FEB Club.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...