Official Deer Rifle Thread

• Platinum Contributing Member

So seeing as it's rifle season here in Michigan and Moto just shot a buck I thought this thread would be appropriate. I'm currently using my brothers Winchester Model 70 in 30.06 but for next year I'm looking for a change. Found a sweet Browning BLR chambered in .358 Winchester which isn't a popular caliber but ammo is readily available and after doing some reading sounds like a damn good shooter for this area. How about the rest of you hunters? :bc:

• Gold Member

I dont hunt anymore but would say an ar15 would prolly be ideal as you have many followup rounds at your disposal.  When i did hunt i used a 30-30 and a 30/06.  If no law around i would use an ar15 or ar10 these days

Edited by BOHICA

3 minutes ago, TallCool 1 said:

I have been using a cheap Remington 7600 pump 270 for 25 years. Shoots fast and flat, never had a issue with it.

Always wanted a semi but they all seem to have problems with jamming on cold rainy snowy days.

That's the thing....for whacking whitetail you are using a great gun. I just want something a little different. :bc:

Buddy of mine has a BAR...not sure if he has any jamming issues.

Ruger M77 bolt action 7mm magnum with 3-9X40 Leupold VX3 scope for me. Wife shoots Savage youth model 7mm-08 with Redfield Illuminator 2-7X32. Used to use remington model 760 30/06.

Edited by Guest

I've shot two whitetail bucks with my AR 308. Hunted previously with a 7mm-08 Remington 700. That bagged two mulies and a whitetail buck. 

Shot a doe two years ago with my AR15 and didn't like how little damage it caused, so I built the 308 with my Dad.

My dad mostly used a .280 for deer hunting and has made multiple kills with it. He was a master at neck shots. I've witnessed him make a few 200+ yard neck shots on whitetail and mule deer with that gun. 

38 minutes ago, HSR said:

Ruger M77 bolt action 7mm magnum with 3-9X40 Leupold VX3 scope for me. Wife shoots Savage youth model 7mm-08 with Redfield Illuminator 2-7X32. Used to use remington model 760 30/06.

23 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I've shot two whitetail bucks with my AR 308. Hunted previously with a 7mm-08 Remington 700. That bagged two mulies and a whitetail buck. 

Shot a doe two years ago with my AR15 and didn't like how little damage it caused, so I built the 308 with my Dad.

My dad mostly used a .280 for deer hunting and has made multiple kills with it. He was a master at neck shots. I've witnessed him make a few 200+ yard neck shots on whitetail and mule deer with that gun. 

Buddy of mine has a 7 mag and your M77 is a great gun and I was just reading up on the .280 earlier tonight. :bc:

47 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Exactly the same gun I have been using for years.  A friend just bought a 6.5 Grendel AR.  That is one sweet setup, but expensive.

Edited by racer254

3 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

So seeing as it's rifle season here in Michigan and Moto just shot a buck I thought this thread would be appropriate. I'm currently using my brothers Winchester Model 70 in 30.06 but for next year I'm looking for a change. Found a sweet Browning BLR chambered in .358 Winchester which isn't a popular caliber but ammo is readily available and after doing some reading sounds like a damn good shooter for this area. How about the rest of you hunters? :bc:

Sweet setup!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

That's the thing....for whacking whitetail you are using a great gun. I just want something a little different. :bc:

Buddy of mine has a BAR...not sure if he has any jamming issues.

The Browning BAR is a nice rifle. I shoot a Ruger M77 .270 bolt w/ a Leupold Vari X II 3-9 x 40, I bought it new in 1992 and has been a very dependable deer gun.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

The Browning BAR is a nice rifle. I shoot a Ruger M77 .270 bolt w/ a Leupold Vari X II 3-9 x 40, I bought it new in 1992 and has been a very dependable deer gun.

M77's are great and Ruger is a good company. :bc:

38 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Exactly the same gun I have been using for years.  A friend just bought a 6.5 Grendel AR.  That is one sweet setup, but expensive.

Been thinking about a new 6.5 upper for one of my AR's. Can't decide between creedmoor and grendel though. My 5.56 isn't good for much else besides coyotes and range fun.

11 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I don't hunt but have my dads 1961 era Savage .308 Model 99 that has dropped one deer, in mint condition.

That is a classic in a great caliber.....very cool Woolard. :bc:

That is one of the 3 guns chambered for the .358 Winchester...they command top dollar. :bc:

Edited by Biggie Smails

20 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

That is a classic in a great caliber.....very cool Woolard. :bc:

That is one of the 3 gun chambered for the .358 Winchester...they command top dollar. :bc:

Yeah its a beautiful gun.  It will stay in the family.  Either a nephew or grandson will end up with it, I might even go after a deer with it myself at some point :bc: 

2 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Been thinking about a new 6.5 upper for one of my AR's. Can't decide between creedmoor and grendel though. My 5.56 isn't good for much else besides coyotes and range fun.

That's odd, I dropped my last four deer with a .223 savage axis. the last one an eight point buck that dropped in it's tracks from just over one hundred yards shot. now with that being said i wouldn't want to use it out in an open field with a high wind.I also have a Browning bar 30-06 and a Remington 7400  30-06 autoloader for long shots out in the big field's. 

6 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

Sounds like you have the right gun, sight it in properly and you should always take out the heart and lungs with one shot.

6 hours ago, snoughnut said:

I have the M77 270, nice shooting gun. 

5 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Sounds like you have the right gun, sight it in properly and you should always take out the heart and lungs with one shot.

It is a great gun but belongs to my brother and it's a right hand bolt.......I'm a lefty.