It has begun

Thinksno

1 hour ago, 2strokemerc said:

Apparently another on Lake Couchiching  last night. Maybe 04nightfire heard something. Hit an island and was airlifted by helicopter.

That was all that was said on VR Land last night. I couldn't find anything online.

56 minutes ago, revrnd said:

That was all that was said on VR Land last night. I couldn't find anything online.

One of the fishing forums said he hit a rock or island near ship island north of Chief island. I think that is 04nightfires neighbourhood.

Ok, I'm happy that the gene pool cleanses itself this way..... but honestly, what the fuck are people doing snowmobiling on Stoney in a winter like this? 

I hope the survivors get an invoice for the rescue chopper, rescue, etc.  Putting these people in harm's way to rescue the stupid, is ridiculous.  And the expense should be reimbursed.  I'd leave the last stiff in until Spring, when it pops up adjacent to somebody's dock.  

No wonder the general public considers sledders to be mouth-breathing white-trash....... can you blame them, when this is the publicity the sport is exposed to? 

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/01/11/man-missing-after-snowmobile-goes-through-stoney-lake-north-of-peterborough

One missing, second man rescued by helicopter after snowmobile goes through Stoney Lake north of Peterborough

1297269887500_AUTHOR_PHOTO.jpg?quality=8

By Reg Watson, Peterborough Examiner

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:41:25 EST PM

Selwyn Township firefighters respond after  two snowmobilers went through the ice of Stoney Lake on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017 between Burleigh Falls and Young's Point, northeast of Lakefield. One man was rescued by a helicopter but a second person is missing. Clifford Skarstedt/Peterborough Examiner/Postmedia Network

Selwyn Township firefighters respond after two snowmobilers went through the ice of Stoney Lake on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2017 between Burleigh Falls and Young's Point, northeast of Lakefield. One man was rescued by a helicopter but a second person is missing.

A 50-year-old man is missing and presumed dead and another man was plucked from the ice of Stoney Lake on Wednesday around 8 p.m. by a Canadian Armed Forces-Canadian Coast Guard joint rescue helicopter from CFB Trenton after a snowmobile went through the ice northeast of Peterborough.

It's believed two men went through the ice and one got out and notified rescuers by cellphone but the other did not make it out of the ice, according to Capt. Wright Eurebi, a public affairs officer from 1 Canadian Air Division headquarters.

The rescued 47-year-old man was suffering from hypothermia and was flown by the Griffon CH-146 helicopter from 424 Squadron to Peterborough Regional Health Centre for treatment, Eurebi told The Examiner.

The helicopter then went back to the scene to search for the missing person, Eurebi said.

But the helicopter search for the missing 50-year-old man was later called off by the OPP, who are continuing a ground search, and the helicopter has returned to CFB Trenton, according to Eurebi.

Peterborough County OPP officers, paramedics and Selwyn Township firefighters responded to the area of the Kawartha Park Marina just before 5:30 p.m. Wednesday between Young's Point and Burleigh Falls northeast of Lakefield.

Selwyn Township firefighters launched a rescue boat and found snowmobile tracks and tracked them in an attempt to find where the snowmobile went through, but it was a difficult search because of treacherous ice conditions, the darkness and no specifics on the location of the crash. A second rescue boat was also launched later. The firefighters have since returned to shore.

The search-and-rescue helicopter was called to the scene by Peterborough County OPP.

OPP have no further details about the rescue at this time, OPP Const. Jason Folz said.

OPP investigated five snowmobile collisions involving five snowmobiles last weekend, including one in Peterborough County.

A woman was taken to hospital after a snowmobile collision on an OFSC trail near Crystal Lake in Trent Lakes on Saturday afternoon.

OPP say she was riding with a small group when she hit a tree.

The Barrie woman, 47, suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police say.

On Saturday on Trail D near South Monck Drive in Bracebridge a 44-year-old man operating a snowmobile on a “Closed Trail” had a collision. The man was sent to hospital with serious injuries, police said.

Also on Saturday on Ship Island off Georgian Bay near Honey Harbour a 62-year-old man struck a rock. The man was sent to a Toronto hospital with life-threatening injuries, police said.

On Sunday, two snowmobile operators snowmobiling on Georgian Bay broke through the ice, which was not fully frozen over, police said.

Investigations are continuing in all those collisions..

The OPP Central Region Traffic Management and the Snowmobile All Terrain Vessel Enforcement (SAVE) team is offering the following tips to snowmobile operators:

• Never operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • No ice is safe ice. Conditions change due to several factors.  What was safe last week may not be safe this week.
  • Check the ice thickness and quality with local ice hut operators and Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry before riding on any frozen waterway
  • Wear a buoyant snowmobile suit and carry ice picks on you
  • Only travel on ice that is already well-tracked and stay on the marked Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Club (OFSC) trails
  • Never travel on a closed OFSC trail
  • Watch out for obstacles like rocks, stumps, docks, pressure cracks, fishing huts and open water created by bubblers and river mouths.
  • Wear a proper snowmobile helmet and ensure it is fastened.
  • Carry a fully charged cellular phone in a waterproof case
  • Stop at Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere (RIDE) programs and always have your documentation ready for inspection

OPP officers are using radar units conducting speed enforcement on OFSC trails. The speed limit is 50km/h on the OFSC trails and 20km/h on city streets.

Edited by Puzzleboy

Some of this is the result of unbelievable stupidity. Sure tells you something about the ice when they launched boats for the search. Then who in their right mind heads out onto Georgian Bay. We were in Midfield on the weekend and did see one lone set of tracks heading onto the ice. 

We sure manage to portray ourselves as a bunch of idiots when there is such an abundance of stupidity for the media to report 

12 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ok, I'm happy that the gene pool cleanses itself this way..... but honestly, what the fuck are people doing snowmobiling on Stoney in a winter like this? 

I hope the survivors get an invoice for the rescue chopper, rescue, etc.  Putting these people in harm's way to rescue the stupid, is ridiculous.  And the expense should be reimbursed.  I'd leave the last stiff in until Spring, when it pops up adjacent to somebody's dock.  

No wonder the general public considers sledders to be mouth-breathing white-trash....... can you blame them, when this is the publicity the sport is exposed to? 

5 hours ago, 02sled said:

Some of this is the result of unbelievable stupidity. Sure tells you something about the ice when they launched boats for the search. Then who in their right mind heads out onto Georgian Bay. We were in Midfield on the weekend and did see one lone set of tracks heading onto the ice. 

We sure manage to portray ourselves as a bunch of idiots when there is such an abundance of stupidity for the media to report 

Yes, "we" sure don't present an intelligent image do we?

then again some of the comments on the various Ptbo media Faceplant pages were pretty callous even by my standards. What if the family sees shit like that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Yes, "we" sure don't present an intelligent image do we?

then again some of the comments on the various Ptbo media Faceplant pages were pretty callous even by my standards. What if the family sees shit like that?

Agreed. A family is suffering a tragedy nobody wishes upon anyone. It is easy to criticize yet we should be considerate of where and to what audience comments are made. You can't help but feel for their loss no matter what the cause.

11 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Agreed. A family is suffering a tragedy nobody wishes upon anyone. It is easy to criticize yet we should be considerate of where and to what audience comments are made. You can't help but feel for their loss no matter what the cause.

Exactly! I may rant about stuff here & on OC. But you never know who's seeing stuff posted elsewhere. As an old timer told us "young 'uns" years ago, "A closed mouth gathers no feet."

http://muskoka411.com/start/bracebridge-opp-appealing-to-witnesses-after-disappearance-of-snow-machine-along-maclaren-bay/

Bracebridge OPP responded to a complaint of a snow vehicle that reportedly went into the water near Sopher’s Landing in Gravenhurst, just before 8 p.m. last night, Saturday January 14, 2017.

Witnesses reported seeing a snowmobile travelling on Sparrow Lake within the Trent Severn Waterway, turn west toward open water in an area known as McLean Bay and then it appeared to go into open water and disappear.  Bracebridge OPP and the OPP Emergency Response Team along with the Gravenhurst Fire Department and the Orillia Fire Department conducted a search of the area that could safely be accessed.  Given the isolated location and unstable condition of the ice, the OPP contacted the Canadian Armed Forces Joint Rescue Coordination centre based in Trenton, who dispatched search and rescue resources including a Royal Canadian Air Force helicopter and personnel to the scene.

2 hours ago, steve6 said:

Its normal business in the north.  

People that commute down the highways or on Go - Trains have no real idea or understanding of what people actually do for work to support their families.

I have worked on lakes in Northern Saskatchewan where the ice thickness had to be minimum 39" for drilling rigs and support equipment.  As soon as ice was thick enough for plows they are on plowing the roads.  Plowing would start late December.  Crews would be on ice from late Jan to Apr drilling if possible.  Then back on barges June to October.

13 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

And another one on Sparrow Lake...... Like I said, the gene pool autonomously cleansing itself. 

Sounds like he didn't know where he was going or got disorientated.  I think instead of going straight across the bay they made a left into open water at night.  Could be wrong but that was my take on it from the info I've heard

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎08 at 0:47 PM, 2strokemerc said:

One of the fishing forums said he hit a rock or island near ship island north of Chief island. I think that is 04nightfires neighbourhood.

Yes.  He hit bird shit island.  Unfortunately I think he passed away the other day

I have heard that due to the currents on the lake you still need to be careful where you go at the best of times and that is why the trail when staked goes across on the east side of the lake avoiding the flow from the rivers at the north and south ends.

Capture.JPG

I know there are places on our lake you just don't go even when other portions are multiple feet thick.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

Its normal business in the north.  

People that commute down the highways or on Go - Trains have no real idea or understanding of what people actually do for work to support their families.

I have worked on lakes in Northern Saskatchewan where the ice thickness had to be minimum 39" for drilling rigs and support equipment.  As soon as ice was thick enough for plows they are on plowing the roads.  Plowing would start late December.  Crews would be on ice from late Jan to Apr drilling if possible.  Then back on barges June to October.

Ice roads are the only way to move heavy equipment to some of the northern communities.  Once you miss your window you are waiting til next season.

Guy is lucky and good news to hear.  Too bad JT wasn't riding shotgun.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I have heard that due to the currents on the lake you still need to be careful where you go at the best of times and that is why the trail when staked goes across on the east side of the lake avoiding the flow from the rivers at the north and south ends.

Capture.JPG

I know there are places on our lake you just don't go even when other portions are multiple feet thick.

The sledder went in where I have the black mark or close to that spot.  I believe they got lost and unfortunately made a wrong turn

Untitled.png

35 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

The sledder went in where I have the black mark or close to that spot.  I believe they got lost and unfortunately made a wrong turn

Untitled.png

From our trips through there on the boat I would suspect that is one of the points where the current is the strongest and likely the ice the thinnest. For me... no stakes.... I'm not going.