It has begun

Thinksno

Saw the ambulance go out yesterday afternoon. Not too far from a fatal on the Anstruther Lake Rd about 30 odd years ago. In that case it was a group of early season sledders road running & a newbie on a 294 SS Elan. Lost control on a curve & hit a tree.

That being said we'd be lucky to have 4" of snow here. 

Edited by revrnd

2 hours ago, barberch said:

Heard about it just before I left work. Cliff works there too and although I don't know him well, he is a nice guy and I hope he pulls thru

Read the article before I read the rest of this post and immediately wondered if it was him?

Not something I can picture Cliff doing, but then again, I don't know the whole story.

He is a good guy, I speak to him frequently when I see him.

X2, I hope it's not as bad as it sounds and he pulls through. 

Just read some posts on OC and FB and it doesn't sound good for, Cliff.

Story goes, he was test riding a sled he planned on purchasing for his son. Not sure how it happened or the story behind it, fully, but this is very sad news!

Cliff was a great guy! 

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. :sad:

1 hour ago, irv said:

Just read some posts on OC and FB and it doesn't sound good for, Cliff.

Story goes, he was test riding a sled he planned on purchasing for his son. Not sure how it happened or the story behind it, fully, but this is very sad news!

Cliff was a great guy! 

Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. :sad:

That is a sad deal.  What should have been a joyous event, (buying a sled for a kid) turns out like this.  We have all ridden without a helmet.

Hope he pulls through.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That is a sad deal.  What should have been a joyous event, (buying a sled for a kid) turns out like this.  We have all ridden without a helmet.

Hope he pulls through.

X2

That's a terrible turn of events. All the best to him.

Sucks, but why would you rip down a road at that speed with no helmet? 

Also, if it was a private sale, and this guy dies or is severely injured, the seller has some serious liability issues if he let him ride it. 

Edited by Puzzleboy

Was a speed ever posted?!?!?

Really does not take much to mess yourself up, fall the wrong the way, etc...& you could be done.

Sounds like a horrible mishap, that could likely happen to so many in the blink of an eye.

Reading a post on OC, he is only being kept alive until his daughter arrives from out of town, sad to read that shit, no matter what the circumstance.

The road is about half a mile long and crooked. It's just an access point to a boat launch. I haven't been on it in several years, but I don't think it's much more than a typical 2 track, cottage road.

On my way to Ptbo today I had the same thought as Puzzleboy about the whole liability issue. I'd hate to be the guy that was selling the sled. 

Lets be careful out there guys this winter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

No speed was posted, but obviously he was moving.  If you're testing a sled, obviously you're gonna push it. 

Agreed, very sad situation. 

Not suggesting he was not going fast, maybe he was, maybe he was not.....but even bump to the head the wrong way at a slower speed could be devastating to someone, the guy was 50 something and we all like to think we still invincible at that age too!

9 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

That is sad , and unfortunate . And  feel for the family . 

But learn from this , I throw on a helmet no matter what , even a test up and down the driveway . It'll happen fast , and not worth the risk . 

I will be honest, I have on many occasions, when I pull my sled out the garage for the first time at home and we have snow, run up or down the road with no helmet on, do not think twice about it, as I am sure many have and do!

I pull the sled out of the trailer and I think most times pull it into the trailer with no helmet on.

3 hours ago, StevieWonder said:

Question is , will you still do that . ?

Like most of us , I'll say we all have older helmets kicking around . I keep one in my garage , always there . 

Yes, more than likely I will still load or unload my sled with out a helmet.....go for a quick run down the road and back, likely not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

It's bad enough I occasionally hit my head on the cupboard inside my trailer and with a helmet on it would try and get me more often lol

:lol:

I am surprised I have not bumped my head more loading or unloading....maybe if wore the helmet, I would have some dents in the walls/roof that never used to be there... 

56 minutes ago, smokin george said:

My trailer height is ok going in/out but I seem to forget about the cupboard lol. Maybe I'll glue some foam on the edges

I know a some people who use the foam water pipe insulation on some of those edges. A lot of them have a peel off plastic film that exposes the adhesive on the slit of the pipe wrap and then use that to stick to the cabinet.