Random Photo Thread

22 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

@dz246 :news:

(Not my photo but located in MN)

17553498_10210937555987989_1929570975594

For some reason, those look like they would inhale fuel. They look like this Big Bud tractor we were considering buying back in the 80's.  The fuel rate was over twice our IH/Steiger tractors.  The Bud was rated somewhere north of 600 hp while the IH/Steigers were 350 to 400.  Ultimately, we decided against it because we didn't have anything to put behind it that could justify its fuel consumption.

Edit:  That's when farm diesel was less than 30 cents a gallon too!

Edited by SmeeAgain

50 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

For some reason, those look like they would inhale fuel. They look like this Big Bud tractor we were considering buying back in the 80's.  The fuel rate was over twice our IH/Steiger tractors.  The Bud was rated somewhere north of 600 hp while the IH/Steigers were 350 to 400.  Ultimately, we decided against it because we didn't have anything to put behind it that could justify its fuel consumption.

Edit:  That's when farm diesel was less than 30 cents a gallon too!

I am not sure what fuel consumption is on either one.  The yeller one is a 2003 with a 600hp ISX in it though, so that one probably isn't too bad.  

I wouldn't mind having a Big Bud creep around the farm, but I'd probably try to get one of the last ones made in the late 80's/early 90's range.  A tile contractor southwest of me had 3 of them at one time and I think 2 are still for sale.  

Did you have the Steiger or the IH?  

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I am not sure what fuel consumption is on either one.  The yeller one is a 2003 with a 600hp ISX in it though, so that one probably isn't too bad.  

I wouldn't mind having a Big Bud creep around the farm, but I'd probably try to get one of the last ones made in the late 80's/early 90's range.  A tile contractor southwest of me had 3 of them at one time and I think 2 are still for sale.  

Did you have the Steiger or the IH?  

We started with one 300 hp (4586) IH and then got another but the 350 hp (4786).  We later got the Steiger Tiger to replace the IH 45. It was a local farmer who ended up with the Bud and he used it for his tiling business too.

3 minutes ago, SmeeAgain said:

We started with one 300 hp (4586) IH and then got another but the 350 hp (4786).  We later got the Steiger Tiger to replace the IH 45. It was a local farmer who ended up with the Bud and he used it for his tiling business too.

I almost feel sorry for you about the V800, but you bought a second one!  What was your Tiger?  450, 470, or 525?

Those IH were major workhorses.  We didn't have many issues with those tractors at all.  The clutch now and then, but no engine problems.  I want to say 450 for the Tiger, but I didn't use it much as we got it when I was in college and shortly didn't work on the farm any more.

2 hours ago, SmeeAgain said:

Those IH were major workhorses.  We didn't have many issues with those tractors at all.  The clutch now and then, but no engine problems.  I want to say 450 for the Tiger, but I didn't use it much as we got it when I was in college and shortly didn't work on the farm any more.

We have one neighbor that must have had around a half dozen of the V800 powered IH's.  He'd pick them up for cheap at auctions and when they'd blow up, he park them and buy another.  He repowered one and bought a old Massey and Allis since.  

I remember being told those engines were small displacement engines for the power they put out.  One year we borrowed a new JD tractor of similar size when we were putting a new clutch in the IH.  I remember thinking that the cab was like a Cadillac but the engine sucked to plow with. It had nothing below 1700 rpms.  With the IH, you could idle it down to 1200 RPMs with the plow in the ground and it wouldn't think about stalling.  That Deere would puke when it got to 1600.  Both tractors were rated at the same HP too.  It was a 12 bottom moldboard IH plow.  Looked just like the one below, but a little shorter.

plow_16bottom.jpg

Edited by SmeeAgain

We pull about the same size plow with a 530, 535, or 550 Quad today.:bc:

I laugh at one of my buddies telling me how a 450 Quad can only pull up to about 40 foot cultivators and I tell him we were pulling 60 footers with less in the 90's.:lol:

Just now, racinfarmer said:

We pull about the same size plow with a 530, 535, or 550 Quad today.:bc:

I laugh at one of my buddies telling me how a 450 Quad can only pull up to about 40 foot cultivators and I tell him we were pulling 60 footers with less in the 90's.:lol:

:lol:  Crazy! The 4786 would pull that plow at 5.5 mph and the 4586 at 4.8 mph.  :bc:

16 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

The 530 is pulling around a 14 or 16, don't remember.  

PA220710.jpg

Very cool.  I'll bet that thing is a beast!  I was always amazed as to how easy the large tractors are to drive and maneuver.  They're not fatiguing at all.  Have you used any of the Cat stuff?  The local farmers seem pretty big on the Cat tracked tractors.

2 hours ago, SmeeAgain said:

Very cool.  I'll bet that thing is a beast!  I was always amazed as to how easy the large tractors are to drive and maneuver.  They're not fatiguing at all.  Have you used any of the Cat stuff?  The local farmers seem pretty big on the Cat tracked tractors.

We have 4 Challengers and my FIL has 2 at the moment.  Love the Cat/Challenger products.  

2 hours ago, dz246 said:

Cant remember the name...... :lol:

Cameco.  $50,000 would have bought it.  600+hp and less then 300 hours on it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We have 4 Challengers and my FIL has 2 at the moment.  Love the Cat/Challenger products.  

Cameco.  $50,000 would have bought it.  600+hp and less then 300 hours on it.

That was a steal for that much power. Cant believe it makes that big bud look small.

45 minutes ago, dz246 said:

That was a steal for that much power. Cant believe it makes that big bud look small.

Like I said, it was so cheap I thought about buying it!  I'd think just the engine and tires on it were worth the asking price, even after sitting for 10+ years. 

3 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Like I said, it was so cheap I thought about buying it!  I'd think just the engine and tires on it were worth the asking price, even after sitting for 10+ years. 

Why was it sitting so long?