FSCE Shop Talk

So until a week ago, I had never heard of Montana brand tools.  They are made in Ronan, Montana, which appears to be is almost nowhere (aka - heaven).  Not sure how good they are, but I picked up this set in a a kind of neat plastic case for $19.99 at Menards today, so I'm going to give them some love for making tools in the USA.  I was hoping to find a set that maybe went from 1/8" - 1/2" by 16th's or so too, but no luck.

So, check them out and snap up a few sets!  They also make stuff like magnetic nut drivers, drill bits for flat, hex, Torx, etc.

IMG_20171022_132545927[1].jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so I ordered this today....

59ff9d44afaa2_600hocrank.jpg.9fd74ddea652c7c3fc5683d0f38a0d78.jpg

and some of this.

isoflex.thumb.jpg.07853def062aadafa28aa1c84da1d061.jpg

It's time to move forward with the 600HO build!  I'm actually getting excited about it lol.  It's been hard to lunk down any real kind of money towards this sled and it's been sitting since 2015.  Time to get the ball rolling!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2017 at 1:34 PM, racinfarmer said:

So until a week ago, I had never heard of Montana brand tools.  They are made in Ronan, Montana, which appears to be is almost nowhere (aka - heaven).  Not sure how good they are, but I picked up this set in a a kind of neat plastic case for $19.99 at Menards today, so I'm going to give them some love for making tools in the USA.  I was hoping to find a set that maybe went from 1/8" - 1/2" by 16th's or so too, but no luck.

So, check them out and snap up a few sets!  They also make stuff like magnetic nut drivers, drill bits for flat, hex, Torx, etc.

That's all I buy. Throw some Super Glue around the magnets on the drill drivers. I've had a few fall out on the 5/16. I use the shit out of 1/4,5/16,and 3/8. The drill bits stay sharp for ever.

On 10/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, racinfarmer said:

Good find!

On 10/22/2017 at 1:34 PM, racinfarmer said:

Having been a machinist twice and own a small machine shop now, I've found Titanium  coated drills dull very fast, Cobalt drills hold their edge much longer and cut faster, even good name brand Hi-Speed black oxide drills hold up better (most times) than Titanium coated.

461.jpg

Edited by XCR1250

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, XCR1250 said:

Having been a machinist twice and own a small machine shop now, I've found Titanium  coated drills dull very fast, Cobalt drills hold their edge much longer and cut faster, even good name brand Hi-Speed black oxide drills hold up better (most times) than Titanium coated.

461.jpg

Hey Don, sounds great, what set that goes from 1/16 to 1/2" would you recommend, and where can you buy them ?

I have bought from this site with excellent results:

transparent.gif
For a limited time get this 29 Piece 1/16 - 1/2 Cobalt Drill Set in Shatter Proof Case, 29 Pieces (1/64 Increments)

60% off Cobalt Set!

For a limited time get this 29 Piece Cobalt Drill Set for just $80! That's 60% off the list price! 
This set comes with cobalt, split point drill bits from 1/16" to 1/2" in a water resistant, shatter proof case. The dirll bits have a gold finish.
See Deal Now! >>
Drillsandcutters.com.

Our mailing address is:
DrillsandCutters
218 E Park Ave # 424
Long Beach, New York 11561

open.php?u=1bc7918c3927b789d535f8016&id=b713aefa2d&e=fb9c97661a

• Like 2

Sent my 4 year old m12 swimming this morning. Replaced it with the new contractor grade version. While I had The company credit card out, picked up one of the new M18 battery's. Milwaukee has the best battery's for the fools that have to work outside year round. The red lithium holds its power below 0.  It will fail at -10, but it is better than the competition that starts dropping power at 10 above.

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Up.  

If any of you are looking for new tools for the new year, I recommend the following, which should come in handy.

Norseman drill bits - made in MN.  I believe they are also sold under the name Viking.  Any of it.  

Enderes Tools - made in MN.  Maker of punches, chisels, pry bars, etc.  

Bondhus tools - made in MN.  Also a vendor for Felo (German screwdrivers).  Bondhus makes some of the best Allen key tools around.  Both available at Fleet Farm

Knipex - made in Germany.  Any of it, all of it.  Available at Menards.

Irwin Hanson tap and die set.  Made in USA.  $60-70 for the basic SAE set.  Available at Fleet Farm for $70.  

Kastar rethreading kits.  Made in the USA.  Available at Fleet Farm in SAE, Metric, or both.  $22-$56.  

Channellocks - made in the USA.  Any of it, all of it.  

Lista and Vidmar storage and tool storage.  Made in the USA.  Don't have to participate in the Strap-On circle jerk.  Rousseau (made in Canada) is also very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Wear your safety glasses, ladies!  I had a garage/safety glasses related incident tonight and am now sporting a pair of bandages on each side of my nose where the pads sit.

Stings like crazy.

26814724_10155467911819611_8571928701445

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 1

If someone here is looking to put one badass piece of functional art in their garage, check this one out.  The only thing I can think of that would be more badass would be a full out Lista or Rousseau work center.

http://www.excelsiortoolingco.com/product/multi-purpose-cabinet-right/

had a few projects going lately. pulled the 28 roadster apart last spring to go through a few things. radiator, gas tank and motor were all leaking like a sieve and the transmission was popping out of second. figured I'd rebuild the transmission, replace the radiator, re-seal the gas tank, regasket the motor and slap it back together in a month or two.. easy. was taking my time... didn't get to pulling the pan until early summer and this is what I found. the silver color is nickel, what you use when you weld cast iron. these are crack repairs that were done 25+ years ago.

20170805_112442.jpg

20170805_112456.jpg