FSCE Shop Talk

Today's topic - wrap 2 stroke exhaust with some heat wrap or not.  It'll lower under hood temps, but for 292(ish) cc's of single cylinder fury, will it give any performance gain, except helping to de-carbonize the exhaust.

Inquiring (and bored) minds what to know your thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Clutches and motor mounts are clean....rest of the sled is like a dirty whore  :lol: 

Should've had Todd do my secondary clutch too

20181208_165220_2.thumb.jpg.f17d046c9563b6e620fa9c0f2fe64bfa.jpg

Did you use Todd Guthrie?

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Did you use Todd Guthrie?

Yes third time now with clutches....primary and secondaries. Shim up the primary to tighten the belt clearance back up and.... :thumb: 

9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yes third time now with clutches....primary and secondaries. Shim up the primary to tighten the belt clearance back up and.... :thumb: 

Ever meet him? Awesome dude......loves sleds and will talk your ear off about them for as long as you want. Also a hell of a machinist 

32 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Ever meet him? Awesome dude......loves sleds and will talk your ear off about them for as long as you want. Also a hell of a machinist 

I finally did this year at the Snow Show. Yeah, awesome guy for sure and very knowledgeable. And he has a lot of services and products that not many else have.  

8 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I finally did this year at the Snow Show. Yeah, awesome guy for sure and very knowledgeable. And he has a lot of services and products that not many else have.  

Yup.....had him make me pullers and alignment bars and he made them a hell of a lot nicer than off the shelf and for the same price 

So since I've started driving the police car I realized that it really sucks not having a center console or any cup holders for my coffee in the mornings.  So yesterday before snowmobiling and this afternoon I've been able to fab up this home made center console out of my basement shop.  Just materials I had laying around from various other things, I have about 6 hours into it.  It's held into the car with scotch-lock Velcro, made out of wood, fiberglass, indoor/outdoor carpet, blue foam, black foam, contact cement, and the dozen or staples that were left in the gun. It's nothing special, but functional and it was a fun little project.  Thought I'd share.

IMG_3483.JPG

IMG_3487.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

You could call a place like Pam's Auto or ProFast to see if they'd have a center console out of a regular Taurus.  Might cost a couple hundred, but it'd look nice.  

It would appear that Fireball is more concerned with function over style. :lmao:

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

You could call a place like Pam's Auto or ProFast to see if they'd have a center console out of a regular Taurus.  Might cost a couple hundred, but it'd look nice.  

There is a guy on ebay selling generic crappy ones for $175.  The consumer Taurus center console is a floor shift and integrates into the dash, the PI cars are column shift so no go on junk yard swaps.  I just need a place to hold my coffee, energy drink, glasses, and cell phone.

56 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

It would appear that Fireball is more concerned with function over style. :lmao:

Correct 👍 and perfect spot to mount my gps right in front of it.

Stopped at Ax Man Surplus in the Twin Cities yesterday. 

Very...

Interesting...

And has heaps of stuff for you electronic tinkering kind of guys.  

Wish I'd have spent more time digging around a bit and knew a whole lot more about electronics and the magic pixies!

On 12/5/2018 at 2:56 PM, racinfarmer said:

Today's topic - wrap 2 stroke exhaust with some heat wrap or not.  It'll lower under hood temps, but for 292(ish) cc's of single cylinder fury, will it give any performance gain, except helping to de-carbonize the exhaust.

Inquiring (and bored) minds what to know your thoughts.

Depending on how close the pipe is tuned you may want to wrap it.  Warmer EGT will speed up the flow of gas, which will impact the rate and timing of the wave front.  If the pipe is known to run slow, or the tuning window is slow, keeping the heat in the pipe is better.  Conversely if the pipe is well tuned to begin with (without wrap or insulation) then you may be doing harm to performance by speeding up the flow.  

Personally I say go for it, it looks cool.  May be best to wrap and unwrap each season though as the wrap can trap moisture causing unwanted rust and premature failure if not properly maintained.

Neal

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Depending on how close the pipe is tuned you may want to wrap it.  Warmer EGT will speed up the flow of gas, which will impact the rate and timing of the wave front.  If the pipe is known to run slow, or the tuning window is slow, keeping the heat in the pipe is better.  Conversely if the pipe is well tuned to begin with (without wrap or insulation) then you may be doing harm to performance by speeding up the flow.  

Personally I say go for it, it looks cool.  May be best to wrap and unwrap each season though as the wrap can trap moisture causing unwanted rust and premature failure if not properly maintained.

Neal

This thing is going on a mutt of a 1973-4ish Yamaha GP292 for 1 lunger racing.  The whole thing is a premature failure waiting to happen.  

3 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Thus I vote to do it!  Burn that thing down!

Neal

Wouldn't be the first time.

See below.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:30 PM, racinfarmer said:

This one saw too many rippems and not enough fuel, or something like that. 

Another contribution to the Bucket of Speed...

IMG_20180421_142559589[1].jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, racinfarmer said:

Anyone buying themselves some fun shop shit for Christmas?

Thinking about buying a real shop compressor. I have a 20 gallon portable compressor and a old twin 80 gallon I bought off my buddy for $300. The works fine for filling tires and running the odd air tool but the old one is loud as fuck and still cant get enough out of it to run a decent size impact.

In the future, I want to be able to do some sandblasting.