FSCE Shop Talk

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Got a Jack & Coke and am trying to figure out how to line up clutches on a 74 Yamaha GP292 without the proper tools and a aftermarket clutch.  

Might just have to wing this one...

I've used string in a jam before. Make sure the string is hitting on all four points.:bc:

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you actually get your hands dirty and break shit off in threaded holes like me, I recommend a good set of straight flute extractors.

Fleet Farm offer's a set from Irwin-Hanson that is made in the US and runs around $13.  The bad news is they don't including the smallest one they offer in it, so you'll need to spend the princely sum of around $4 to procure that one separate.

And if you are a spiral flute kind of guy; you know, twisted for her pleasure, they offer that style too for around the same price.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, Frostynuts said:

Hey Don, sounds great, what set that goes from 1/16 to 1/2" would you recommend, and where can you buy them ?

Holy shit, I missed this post, maybe.  I'd spend the money and get a index of Norseman drill bits, also sold under the Viking name, maybe?  You can find them at Harry Epstein. 

The drill bits are made in MN by the STP airport and the metal case by Huot, just off I-94. 

Speaking of bits.  Is anybody using one of those drill doctors or some other bit sharpening machine?  I’ve got a drawer full of bits that I’m tired of hand sharpening.  Was about to buy a new bit set but, saw one of those still doctor things...looks gimmicky though?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 9:20 PM, racinfarmer said:

If any of you actually get your hands dirty and break shit off in threaded holes like me, I recommend a good set of straight flute extractors.

Fleet Farm offer's a set from Irwin-Hanson that is made in the US and runs around $13.  The bad news is they don't including the smallest one they offer in it, so you'll need to spend the princely sum of around $4 to procure that one separate.

And if you are a spiral flute kind of guy; you know, twisted for her pleasure, they offer that style too for around the same price.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, racinfarmer said:

Holy shit, I missed this post, maybe.  I'd spend the money and get a index of Norseman drill bits, also sold under the Viking name, maybe?  You can find them at Harry Epstein. 

The drill bits are made in MN by the STP airport and the metal case by Huot, just off I-94. 

You know, I have both the twisted extractors (multiple sets)  and the drill bits and I have people borrowing them constantly. 

8 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Wonder what they will sell for. 

$500 retail, $230 if you are on their funding page early enough. 

Not sure if it is cheap enough for me.  Can probably find a pretty good ultrasonic cleaner used for that $500 price. 

Edited by racinfarmer

On 2/20/2018 at 9:44 PM, Zambroski said:

Speaking of bits.  Is anybody using one of those drill doctors or some other bit sharpening machine?  I’ve got a drawer full of bits that I’m tired of hand sharpening.  Was about to buy a new bit set but, saw one of those still doctor things...looks gimmicky though?

The dril doctor uses sand paper wheel. Bosch makes a home owner one the uses a replaceable stone the works ok.

9 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

It is not sandpaper it is a diamond wheel.  a drill doctor can sharpen carbide.

Ok , it’s a diamond paper. I know people that had them. They don’t last.

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

Ok , it’s a diamond paper. I know people that had them. They don’t last.

I have two drill doctors and a 6K automatic drill sharpener at work and to be honest the drill doctor does a pretty good job for what it costs. The 500 series drill doctor would be what Home depot sells which is the base machine which is fine for home/hobby. the 750x is more of the job shop model that can sharpen drills upto 3/4 and is a little beefier.  I would say you could sharpen hundreds of drills on a single wheel which makes them a pretty good buy considering what cobalt drills go for. At work we have a computer controlled Darex that can sharpen 15,000 drills off of a single wheel. to be honest you would have a hard time telling the difference between the Drill doctor 750x and the top of the line Darex as far as drill quality unless you were working super alloys where drill angles come into play. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, racinfarmer said:

1970's Yamaha can go to hell.  Each and every one of those fuckers there.  I don't think they kept a single part the same from year to year. 

Correct , Most of the early model Yamaha's used more or less the same  steel chassis as the short lived Suzuki sleds. Yamaha sold more engines to others , than they sold sleds.  Suzuki's had a decent , single , twin engine platform design , Wayyyyyyyyyyyy  shitty center drive tracks,  plus shitty primary clutch issues.

31 minutes ago, hwytohell said:

Correct , Most of the early model Yamaha's used more or less the same  steel chassis as the short lived Suzuki sleds. Yamaha sold more engines to others , than they sold sleds.  Suzuki's had a decent , single , twin engine platform design , Wayyyyyyyyyyyy  shitty center drive tracks,  plus shitty primary clutch issues.

I'm having exhaust part issues.  The flange/mid-pipe/can combos that I have don't match or mix and match, except my GP246 exhaust, which I'm not going to run on a GP292.

And center drive tracks for lyfe, bitch.

Edited by racinfarmer

I think this weekend's plans are going to involve drinking and sanding and oiling my work bench. 

And if any of you buttholes need to buy more tools, check out Harry Epstein.

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, Woodtick said:

Stopped at a local Performance & Off Road shop today. They do some cool stuff.

IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

Dude that fixes my sled has a shop .( well obviously duh ) He races short track , was looking at the car. Direct drive , no transmission. Never saw that before.