Sign in to follow this  
Zambroski

We Are a Strange Breed

Recommended Posts

How much do you guys pay for permits.  Ours average about 200 per.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The ones that groom our massive MN state trails are paid guys.  And well paid I believe.  All the others are club volunteers.

NH has a few state employees that groom some of the state corridor trails. I think the state has about a half dozen groomers stationed around the state. Not nearly enough to cover over 6000 miles of trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

How much do you guys pay for permits.  Ours average about 200 per.

I can't remember but a trail permit is like $35/year?  And registration that includes permits for 3 years is like $100?  Shit...not sure.  But it's cheap compared to other places for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vermont is $135 for the trail pass if bought before 12/15. You also need a state registration that runs about $30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

The club I'm in heads out at 7pm. It has all night to set up. It's a remote area with very few bars and no hotels, so they can get away with it. Heavy traffic during the day,ghost town at night, no gas after 9pm.:bc:

those locals without trail permits are the ones that like to head out mid week after dinner and weekends late in the day thinking they won't get caught

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 02sled said:

those locals without trail permits are the ones that like to head out mid week after dinner and weekends late in the day thinking they won't get caught

We've got those guys too.  When they get finally get popped it's a healthy fine.  And then they bitch that the state is killing sledding.  Really?  How was that trail you were on when you got that ticket?  Nice and groomed I'll bet.  Too funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To most of the population we are indeed a strange breed. Watch the weather forecast on TV and the reporter says it's going to be nasty, cold and lots of snow, time to hunker down at home. Meanwhile we are doing the happy dance with a big ass grin on our faces.

I'm waiting in line in a store the other day and everyone around me is talking about how wonderfully warm it's been (well above typical) and how they would be happy if it stayed like this. Meanwhile I wanted to tell them to take their weather glee and stick it.

Today we finally have some cold weather. Below freezing last night and hovering just above today.

Are we a strange breed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 02sled said:

To most of the population we are indeed a strange breed. Watch the weather forecast on TV and the reporter says it's going to be nasty, cold and lots of snow, time to hunker down at home. Meanwhile we are doing the happy dance with a big ass grin on our faces.

I'm waiting in line in a store the other day and everyone around me is talking about how wonderfully warm it's been (well above typical) and how they would be happy if it stayed like this. Meanwhile I wanted to tell them to take their weather glee and stick it.

Today we finally have some cold weather. Below freezing last night and hovering just above today.

Are we a strange breed?

Yup.  Went outside this morning, breezy, flurries, smile on my face, not so for others.  Still gotta put the winters on the wife's car.:cry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, 02sled said:

To most of the population we are indeed a strange breed. Watch the weather forecast on TV and the reporter says it's going to be nasty, cold and lots of snow, time to hunker down at home. Meanwhile we are doing the happy dance with a big ass grin on our faces.

I'm waiting in line in a store the other day and everyone around me is talking about how wonderfully warm it's been (well above typical) and how they would be happy if it stayed like this. Meanwhile I wanted to tell them to take their weather glee and stick it.

Today we finally have some cold weather. Below freezing last night and hovering just above today.

Are we a strange breed?

Ha!  No kidding.  I was at the post office the other day wearing a Sno-X shirt.  Heavy snow was forecast and the lady behind the counter made a comment of how happy I must be...I said "Ecstatic!"  She just laughed as did the rest of the people within ear shot.  They know....a lot of people like the winter...that's why they live here.  I think the length of it is what some don't enjoy as much.  And frankly, if you don't have a winter hobby, it'd be long for anybody.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot of skiers and boarders around here that also get excited at the mention of snow. Killington is hosting a world cup event next weekend. They are very happy to see the snow today.

1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ha!  No kidding.  I was at the post office the other day wearing a Sno-X shirt.  Heavy snow was forecast and the lady behind the counter made a comment of how happy I must be...I said "Ecstatic!"  She just laughed as did the rest of the people within ear shot.  They know....a lot of people like the winter...that's why they live here.  I think the length of it is what some don't enjoy as much.  And frankly, if you don't have a winter hobby, it'd be long for anybody.  

Absolutely. It's easy keep busy in summer which goes by in the blink of an eye. Then you have the in between eternity once the boats are put away and it's just damp and miserable until the sled season starts.  Sled season starts and again ends too quickly. Then back to an eternity scenario waiting for ice out and the boat back in the water.

If you live where there is winter... embrace it. Sledding, skiing, skating, something other than hibernate. Love it or leave it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where does the guy that's out riding after the first 3" of snow of the season fit in your list, Z? I just heard a sled when I was outside with the dog. I bet their lawn is taking a beating with 3" of snow on top of an unfrozen ground. Wanna bet? Well, do ya :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ckf said:

Where does the guy that's out riding after the first 3" of snow of the season fit in your list, Z? I just heard a sled when I was outside with the dog. I bet their lawn is taking a beating with 3" of snow on top of an unfrozen ground. Wanna bet? Well, do ya :lol:

Oh...I think that sub-category can fit nicely under each category.  We can call them the "grass trimmers" or "weed wackers" or something.  :lmao:

Several lawns and fields ripped up along my travel this morning...dirt everywhere.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh...I think that sub-category can fit nicely under each category.  We can call them the "grass trimmers" or "weed wackers" or something.  :lmao:

Several lawns and fields ripped up along my travel this morning...dirt everywhere.  

:lol:

I don't have any grass I care about up north so WTF.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's called de thatching your yard you idiots. I do it every year. :burp:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It's called de thatching your yard you idiots. I do it every year. :burp:

I did mine today...Lol!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2016 at 10:20 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

How much do you guys pay for permits.  Ours average about 200 per.

I pay $10.00 for my Wisconsin permit, $48.00 for Michigan, a week in QC will be $215.00 CDN, Ontario will be $210.00 CDN for the season before December 2nd.

By the time I'm done with permits for my sled, the wife's sled I'll be at $720.00 in permits, then there are the spares for friends and family :lol:   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2016 at 9:51 AM, ckf said:

Where does the guy that's out riding after the first 3" of snow of the season fit in your list, Z? I just heard a sled when I was outside with the dog. I bet their lawn is taking a beating with 3" of snow on top of an unfrozen ground. Wanna bet? Well, do ya :lol:

Who needs 3" of snow?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.