'Horrible choices': Iowa livestock producers may have to euthanize pigs as packing plants struggle

3 minutes ago, hayward said:

Well,  I guess that explains why guys went to contract only, huh?  You remember what the price/pound was at the time it took a shit?  Was it under 35 cents/pound?

No.  I was probably 9 or 10.  

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

We sold are last pigs a $.27 for fats.  

$100 bucks a head, f that.

Neal

Would they survive a ship ride to the Far East on one of those giant live stock ships?

On 4/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, hayward said:

Can't be many independant pork producers around anymore.  Here in the east, they're all commercially raising for companys like Hatfield.  Max capacity at all times for max production.  This isn't small time farmers anymore that could overcome and adapt to a problem like this a lot easier with having less animals on hand at a given time.  

No no, we had to weed those out of existance.  We need our food supply controlled in a corporate existance only!  MORE MORE MORE CAPACITY!  

And to hell with the small butcher shops as well.  We'll hire govt. inspectors to make it so hard to exist, that eventually, THEY WON'T! 

Uhhmmm.....that’s called capitalism bro

• Platinum Contributing Member

Lots of guys around here made bank on hogs over the years.   Some lost their ass.   Still a decent handful of small producers.   Lots of independent confinement owners who rent out space and manage production.   Their revenue isn't tied to prices and they do pretty well on the investment.   The real challenge has become the manure plan.  Works well if you got the crop ground for the manure out of your own confinements.

Edited by Highmark

9 hours ago, Highmark said:

Lots of guys around here made bank on hogs over the years.   Some lost their ass.   Still a decent handful of small producers.   Lots of independent confinement owners who rent out space and manage production.   Their revenue isn't tied to prices and they do pretty well on the investment.   The real challenge has become the manure plan.  Works well if you got the crop ground for the manure out of your own confinements.

Minnesota has made that a PITA for years.  A one of my friends family's has a large hog operation and at one time, they'd have to have their manure application measured and couldn't inject it. 

They'd only spread between 10pm and 4am.  I don't think it lasted that long.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Minnesota has made that a PITA for years.  A one of my friends family's has a large hog operation and at one time, they'd have to have their manure application measured and couldn't inject it. 

They'd only spread between 10pm and 4am.  I don't think it lasted that long.

The little restrictions Iowa imposes are not always enforced and its the small operators who are the biggest violators.   State watches the big ones.  One of the biggest issues is the damage to county blacktop roads the tractors and manure tanks do.   No vehicle registration fees, no taxes on diesel and no sales tax on equipment yet damage roads every year.

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

The little restrictions Iowa imposes are not always enforced and its the small operators who are the biggest violators.   State watches the big ones.  One of the biggest issues is the damage to county blacktop roads the tractors and manure tanks do.   No vehicle registration fees, no taxes on diesel and no sales tax on equipment yet damage roads every year.

Something the general public doesn't always understand.  

And yes, the damage done by farming in general can be pretty large to infrastructure.