NFL star sits during anthem in protest of President-elect Donald Trump

ckf

(CNN)"I'm not going to stand for something I don't believe in."

So said Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Mike Evans, as he became the latest high-profile NFL star to protest during the pre-game US national anthem.
    Prior to his team's 36-10 home win against the Chicago Bears, the wide receiver sat as the Star Spangled Banner played -- later saying "America's not right" in the wake of Donald Trump's election.
    "When he ran, I thought it was a joke and the joke continues," Evans said after the game.
    "I'm not a political person that much, but I've got common sense. And I know when something's not right.
    "When Ashton Kutcher comes out and says we've been Punk'd, then I'll stand again. But I won't stand anymore."
    Co-founded by Kutcher, Punk'd is an American TV series which features a series of practical jokes being played on people.
    Last week, Trump beat Hillary Clinton to be named the 45th US president, but many of his policies have caused widespread division.
    The 70-year-old labeled Mexican immigrants as "rapists", "criminals" and "drug addicts", while also suggesting a nationwide ban on Muslims.
    Trump also received heavy criticism after a tape emerged in which he admitted to groping women.

Reality Shock

Evans said he heard some booing, which he expected, during the protest that came on the Buccaneers' annual "Salute to Service" game, a day honoring members of the armed forces.
    "I don't want to disrespect the veterans or anything. The men and women who serve this country, I'm forever indebted to them," he said.
    "But the things that's been going on in America lately, I'm not going to stand for that."
    Both literally and metaphorically, it would appear.
    San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was the first to kneel this season during the national anthem, though Evans says his protest was entirely motivated by Trump.

"I know Kaepernick did that," he said. "I'm doing it for a different reason, for how a reality star can be the president. That's not a good look."
    "It's not about the Republican party or the Democratic party or anything like that. It's just who he is.
    "It's well-documented what he's done. I'm not gonna stand for something I don't believe in. That's the end of that."
    In a short statement released after the game, the Buccaneers said it encouraged all its members to stand but also respected their right to freedom of speech.
    "The Buccaneers are deeply committed to the military and honoring the great men and women that have dedicated their lives and have made great sacrifices to insure all the tremendous freedoms we have in this great country," it read.
    "We encourage all members of our organization to respectfully honor our flag during the playing of the National Anthem.
    "We also recognize every individual's constitutional right to freedom of speech, which is crucial to the American principles we cherish."

• Platinum Contributing Member

I don't understand how these athletes are allowed to protest. They're on the clock, at work!! Protest all they want on their own time! What would happen to any of the fans if they tried that kinda crap. Just disregard company policy. They'd get fired. 

I'm a firm believer in the right to protest, freedom of speech and all that but not at work. Work is work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Cunt. 

There's a blog that I have been following for years about rural life in Alaska. The blogger suspended his blog because Trump was elected. Needless to say I have removed the site from my favorites and will not bother to read his posts when he resumes.

Suspended.

By Mark Zeiger, November 12, 2016

In light of the recent national election, the campaigns for and ultimate result of which have thoroughly, badly shaken my faith in my fellow Americans, we’re suspending this blog for the moment.

I imagine we’ll eventually find the enthusiasm to continue to create new content here, but at the moment, this seems extremely unlikely. The very idea of sharing family thoughts and act

22 minutes ago, ckf said:

There's a blog that I have been following for years about rural life in Alaska. The blogger suspended his blog because Trump was elected. Needless to say I have removed the site from my favorites and will not bother to read his posts when he resumes.

Some people really need a reality check. I guess they got it Nov. 8, 2016.

• Platinum Contributing Member

It's funny because leading up to the election my friends and I would talk about the election and how much we disliked Hillary but we would always finish by saying that no matter who won we would all do the same thing Wednesday morning....get up and go to work and live our lives. All this protesting and crying is just pure cuntiness at it's finest.

My local news just spent 10 minutes reporting on perceived acts of racism.

The whole country wants to be a victim

Kinda funny, students at the UM who supported Trump are being discriminated against by professors and students.  They want to know what the university is going to do about it.   Where's their safe space. 

7 minutes ago, Cold War said:

My local news just spent 10 minutes reporting on perceived acts of racism.

The whole country wants to be a victim

Kinda funny, students at the UM who supported Trump are being discriminated against by professors and students.  They want to know what the university is going to do about it.   Where's their safe space. 

Tell them to not be pussies about it because in four years they are probably getting jobs. Where the other cunts will be arguing about cys identities or gender roles or privilege in some coffee shop while trying to figure out why all 129 resumes they sent out didn't get a response. haha

7 minutes ago, xtralettucetomatoe580 said:

Tell them to not be pussies about it because in four years they are probably getting jobs. Where the other cunts will be arguing about cys identities or gender roles or privilege in some coffee shop while trying to figure out why all 129 resumes they sent out didn't get a response. haha

This is what happens when you start down this road.  It always makes me smile when people step in their own shit. They never seem to have the foresight to realize the same crap they are promoting can be turned around and used against them.

6 minutes ago, Cold War said:

This is what happens when you start down this road.  It always makes me smile when people step in their own shit. They never seem to have the foresight to realize the same crap they are promoting can be turned around and used against them.

I like it. Less competition. 

These guys who make ungodly money to play a game really need to rethink their priorities before doing shit like this. What is their back up plan. I'm betting alot of teams won't pick up a guy like that. They are bad for business...

• Like 2