Does your state/prov have a speed limit?

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:06 AM, favoritos said:

Snowmobiles are banned in our county.  It is stupid.

There is a reason why I ride the UP.

I also love the fact that most areas up there just let you ride.  Speed limits suck.

what county is that?

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, soupkid said:

The speed limit is actually set by the MSVA aka motorized snow vehicle act which is a government law.

Some jurisdictions actually have speed limits on lakes.

Who were the brain dead mofos that approved that stupid limit, and how do we go about getting that ridiculous limit changed, ASAP ?

That limit is not even close to being reasonable. I,m sure the OFSC had a big say in that as well, to help keep their insurance costs down.

Frosty nuts you posted how do we go about increasing the speed limit and in an earlier post there was reference to the reality that the speed limit helps keep OFSC insurance costs down. Hence the comment about higher speed limit = higher permit cost

Edited by 02sled

On 05/12/2016 at 2:13 PM, Frostynuts said:

Who were the brain dead mofos that approved that stupid limit, and how do we go about getting that ridiculous limit changed, ASAP ?

That limit is not even close to being reasonable. I,m sure the OFSC had a big say in that as well, to help keep their insurance costs down.

The OFSC has no say in it at all.

If you want the speed limit increased start with a conversation with you MPP.

BTW good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, soupkid said:

The OFSC has no say in it at all.

If you want the speed limit increased start with a conversation with you MPP.

BTW good luck

Great to hear, but somehow it is hard to believe they didn,t have a say of some sort. What was the criteria used to establish such a ridiculously low speed limit, and who where the idiots that suggested that speed, and who were the idiots that approved it.

50 KPH on a railbed is painful, very painful. Most winding trails can be safetly ridden at that speed as well.

That speed limit does not make an ounce of sense. Again, who was involved in setting that limit ?

Around this area, none of the MPP have a clue or give a rats a$e about sleds or sledding, and what they do for the local economy.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:34 AM, favoritos said:

Northern metro of MN Twin Cities.  Ramsey.

Dumb deal too.  We actually have snow.  I could ride.

not all of Ramsey unless they changed ?I know I have ridden in Woodbury and Hugo and Maplewood to the river  pretty tough anyplace in the belt way 494/694. download below.

if they did do that time to start a club and get MNUSA backing u guys to get trails approved out of Ramsey. we have a part time lobby  guy  and have a face to face with a lot the politicians every yr .

terms used herein shall have the meaning ascribed to them in Minnesota Statutes, Section 84.81.  Snowmobile means a self-propelled vehicle designed for travel on snow or ice or a natural terrain steered by wheels, skis or runners, including motor vehicles as defined in Minnesota Statutes, Section 169.01. 
HOURS OF OPERATION 
2. A. No persons shall operate a snowmobile in Ramsey County on any parkway, lake or other waters between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 12:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. on other days except in areas and at times authorized by the Sheriff of Ramsey County. 
B. No person shall operate a snowmobile in Ramsey County in any County park between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 12:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. on other days, except in areas and at times authorized by the Ramsey county Recreation Director. 
MANNER OF OPERATION 
3. Vehicles shall be driven in a reasonable manner as not to endanger the safety of others, and at a rate of speed no greater than reasonable or proper under all the surrounding circumstances.  Racing is prohibited, except when authorized in responsibly organized events after receiving a permit from the Sheriff. 
4. Vehicles shall not be driven at a speed in excess of 30 miles per hour, nor greater than 15 miles per hour when within 150 feet of any lake or waterway shore, fisherman, pedestrian, fish house, skating rink, sliding or established ski tow area, or in any area where the use of the vehicle may be considered hazardous to park or water users, nor where the operation would conflict with the lawful use of property, unless posted for lesser speeds. 
5. Vehicles shall not tow any person or non-powered vehicle, except through the use of a rigid tow bar, attached to the rear of the snowmobile. 
6, Vehicles shall not be left unattended on county property, lakes or other water

Edited by Ez ryder

On 19/12/2016 at 9:16 AM, Frostynuts said:

Great to hear, but somehow it is hard to believe they didn,t have a say of some sort. What was the criteria used to establish such a ridiculously low speed limit, and who where the idiots that suggested that speed, and who were the idiots that approved it.

50 KPH on a railbed is painful, very painful. Most winding trails can be safetly ridden at that speed as well.

That speed limit does not make an ounce of sense. Again, who was involved in setting that limit ?

Around this area, none of the MPP have a clue or give a rats a$e about sleds or sledding, and what they do for the local economy.

If I'm not mistaken the speed limit is set in the original MSVA document which was in the 70's sometime.

Yes the MSVA  has been updated but never the speed limit.

23 hours ago, soupkid said:

If I'm not mistaken the speed limit is set in the original MSVA document which was in the 70's sometime.

Yes the MSVA  has been updated but never the speed limit.

I think a lot of the state clubs that keep a speed limit do so more for the insurance the state has to pay more than anything else . the state carries  a multi million buck policy to protect all land owners with signed land access agreements from lawsuits from guys who get hurt on there property .

not saying I am a fan but it is a huge reason behind the laws .

they drop the speed laws rates go way up your tags cost more now more bitching see how it works.

in my state the tix do not go on your driving record . I have gotten a few in my life and plan on a few more    

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 12/5/2016 at 3:42 PM, Frostynuts said:

Is that an answer to a question nobody asked ?

Municipality may prescribe different rate of speed

(2) The council of a municipality may by by-law prescribe,

(a) a lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon any highway or part thereof under its jurisdiction; and

(b) a higher or lower rate of speed for motorized snow vehicles upon a trail, public park or exhibition ground under its jurisdiction,

than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (2).

Minister may prescribe different rate of speed

(3) The Minister may by regulation prescribe a higher or lower rate of speed upon any trail or any part thereof, public park or exhibition ground not under the jurisdiction of a municipality, than is prescribed in subsection (1).  R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 14 (3).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:40 PM, Ez ryder said:

protecI think a lot of the state clubs that keep a speed limit do so more for the insurance the state has to pay more than anything else . the state carries  a multi million buck policy to t all land owners with signed land access agreements from lawsuits from guys who get hurt on there property .

not saying I am a fan but it is a huge reason behind the laws .

they drop the speed laws rates go way up your tags cost more now more bitching see how it works.

in my state the tix do not go on your driving record . I have gotten a few in my life and plan on a few more    

Need to change the law. NH has a law that says if you let someone use your land without charging them they cannot sue you if you get hurt on their property.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

like it was said, 70kmh speed limit in quebec. but in some areas there is also a curfew set at midnight up until 7am.

one time, 2 police officers intersepted me and my gf right before we took of from the bar at 00:05. they asked us if we knew about the curfew..i actually new of it but i've never heard of anyone who was caught breaking it...

they where cool with us but we still had to park our sleds behind the bar and call a friend to come pick us up...

On 12/16/2020 at 12:03 PM, mistah_max said:

like it was said, 70kmh speed limit in quebec. but in some areas there is also a curfew set at midnight up until 7am.

one time, 2 police officers intersepted me and my gf right before we took of from the bar at 00:05. they asked us if we knew about the curfew..i actually new of it but i've never heard of anyone who was caught breaking it...

they where cool with us but we still had to park our sleds behind the bar and call a friend to come pick us up...

If this was a law in Minnesota or Wisconsin there would be many sleds parked in the parking lots of bars.

On 11/14/2016 at 8:40 AM, Zambroski said:

Yes, I think it is 50 in MN.  I ride where it is weakly enforced because there is no need for it.  30-60 mph are average speeds on my trails.  I personally have not seen much enforcement at all in MN.  Our LEO's are pretty lax because of tourism (they "get it").  I do know they sit by the lake and bar trail heads looking for the "drunkies".

Just what I've seen anyway.  :dunno:

Minnesota - home of the last two remaining American snowmobile manufacturers has a 50mph speed limit.  :lol2:
here in Wisconsin folks from Illinois and Iowa that ride 'all the time' can come up, drink themselves into oblivion and go as fast as they want during daylight hours riding rental sleds on trails they aren't familiar with and often found on the wrong side of blind corners.  makes perfect sense.

I of course obey all traffic laws at all times and have a personal zero tolerance policy.

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Minnesota - home of the last two remaining American snowmobile manufacturers has a 50mph speed limit.  :lol2:
here in Wisconsin folks from Illinois and Iowa that ride 'all the time' can come up, drink themselves into oblivion and go as fast as they want during daylight hours riding rental sleds on trails they aren't familiar with and often found on the wrong side of blind corners.  makes perfect sense.

I of course obey all traffic laws at all times and have a personal zero tolerance policy.

Minnesota is quickly losing any return appeal for me but, the fact WI has always acted a buffer for imbeciles just south of the snow line is one of the things that makes the Arrowhead one of the finest riding places in the world.

The UP and WI are full of fucking tool bags that can’t ride or wrench...either one creates a ruined day for anybody in their vicinity.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

The UP and WI are full of fucking tool bags that can’t ride or wrench...either one creates a ruined day for anybody in their vicinity.

amen

I wish Wisconsin would ban riders from any state that starts with an 'I' and those from Wisconsin that live south of Hwy 10 have to ride south of Hwy 10  :)

On 12/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, mistah_max said:

I,m surprised your sleds were still there in the morning. Kinda wonder how many cops are turning a blind eye for cash with all the stolen sleds in Quebec. It,s got to be the highest province or state for theft of all kinds in North America.