A arm clean up

Paramuir

Ok so have the A arms off my 1200 and doing bushings.  Would love to powder coat but not in the budget.

So what paint have you guys used on yours before? Been reading lots of things about  spray in bed liner, eoxy sprays, por 15......looking for some input

Man....clean them up with a green pad or light sand and hit them with a semi-gloss rustoleum (prime if necessary).  GOOD AS NEW.  None of these are powder coated from the factory and unless you are beating brush on them, a quality rattle can paint will hold up perfectly.

I powder coated mine on my old sled, worked great and I do not recall it being all that much. Used Mark from Fireball coating.

I also know a few that did the sand and spray, which also worked out well for them....prep is the biggest thing.

Edited by Stoney

I used Tremclad silver on my rear suspension and it has lasted great imo so you should have no worries with your A arms

Of course, like what has been mentioned, prep is very important. I sanded, cleaned, degreased and wiped down with alcohol before spraying and let dry a good few days before reassembly with the summer heat curing in my shed/garage.

HPIM1070.JPG

HPIM1160 (Large).JPG

Wow that looks good was that a spray? Was it black before?   As for prep I wasn't planning on sand blasting as I don't have the equipment for that.  There is some minor light surface rust. Was going to do some light sanding as prep clean and then prime

Currently are blacl would love to have them a gloss whit but afraid that if there is black under it even under primer it will show if it chips easily 

Edited by Paramuir

Actually I don't think powder coating is all that expensive. I had the springs for my front springs done in Courtice this summer & it was reasonable. Not sure off the top of my head what the coast was (included sandblasting).

9 hours ago, Paramuir said:

Wow that looks good was that a spray? Was it black before?   As for prep I wasn't planning on sand blasting as I don't have the equipment for that.  There is some minor light surface rust. Was going to do some light sanding as prep clean and then prime

Currently are blacl would love to have them a gloss whit but afraid that if there is black under it even under primer it will show if it chips easily 

Just spray. Tremclad silver rust paint. 

I didn't sandblast them either as I don't have the means, I just wire wheeled/sanded the rusty spots and scuffed up all the other areas really good with sandpaper then sprayed them.

I also was thinking about powdercoating but all parts, grease, etc need to be removed first. My 2 idler wheels are pressed on (see pic) and I didn't have the means nor wanted to get into removing them so that is why I just ended up painting them. The factory Yamaha skid paint was cheap, imo, as the sled didn't have a lot of miles but the condition/rust under there was terrible. With the Tremclad rust paint and Tremclad clear, it is holding up great in my opinion. 

Did you use a primer first or just a tremclad rust pain primer and paint in one?  What color is under the silver? Like I said debating on going white but black right now so afraid that any chips will really show through 

Brother had same paint rubbing off problem as I did first year he had his sled took them off and had them powder coated white and theremin is not a mark them to this date and that was 4 seasons ago,  if I had to do it again I would powder coat maybe next year haha

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gman said:

Brother had same paint rubbing off problem as I did first year he had his sled took them off and had them powder coated white and theremin is not a mark them to this date and that was 4 seasons ago,  if I had to do it again I would powder coat maybe next year haha

Anyone who tried to sandblast the coating on the old PRS skis, knows how tough that chit is.

11 minutes ago, yarddawg said:

You guys just like to create work to get away from the wife's????:chatter:

Isn't that why garages and basements exist. Sometimes make work projects are great. I have managed to consume hours with the Brother label printer putting labels on all my bins for nuts bolts screws and washers all in varying sizes. No more hunting for the right size in the right bin.

Edited by 02sled
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paramuir said:

Did you use a primer first or just a tremclad rust pain primer and paint in one?  What color is under the silver? Like I said debating on going white but black right now so afraid that any chips will really show through 

No primer, just like you mentioned above. 

Silver was the factory color, and if I was you, I would sand down to remove all the black you can or what you mentioned will likely happen. 

Good luck.

Edited by irv

50 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Isn't that why garages and basements exist. Sometimes make work projects are great. I have managed to consume hours with the Brother label printer putting labels on all my bins for nuts bolts screws and washers all in varying sizes. No more hunting for the right size in the right bin.

Guys actually do that :lol:

14 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

He has lots of time , he has a nut bin , and puts the right nut in the right bin .....

how did you know... The part I'm not sure about is the 2 gallon pail full of assorted nuts bolts and screws. Don't know what I'll do with all of them... maybe sort them by size length and type, wood or metal

20 minutes ago, StevieWonder said:

He has lots of time , he has a nut bin , and puts the right nut in the right bin .....

LOL...

6 minutes ago, 02sled said:

how did you know... The part I'm not sure about is the 2 gallon pail full of assorted nuts bolts and screws. Don't know what I'll do with all of them... maybe sort them by size length and type, wood or metal

Scrap em....I find myself just buying new stuff when needed for certain tasks. I still have some bins full of them, but when it gets to be too many, out with the old!

I like to purge.....the wife on the other hand, not so much....