Studded or not?

5 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Vehicles don't come with snow tires either but millions of smart people put them on. :news:

Peaple in Florida run snow tires? If you ride your sled on ice,pick it. I ride in snow,so I don't have the need for them. :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member

Been using studs for 15 years. Can't see why I would go without.

I like the planted feel of studs and the pull of acceleration from having that great traction. No spinning tracks for me.

I have a friend who couldn't stand having studs. He liked to slide the corners. He said studs made the sled feel slow.

19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Been using studs for 15 years. Can't see why I would go without.

I like the planted feel of studs and the pull of acceleration from having that great traction. No spinning tracks for me.

I have a friend who couldn't stand having studs. He liked to slide the corners. He said studs made the sled feel slow.

I've always set my sleds up to throttle steer. With studs the front end tends to want to plow in the corners if you get on the gas to soon.

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I've always set my sleds up to throttle steer. With studs the front end tends to want to plow in the corners if you get on the gas to soon.

Michigan trails are always a "crap" shoot, no pun intended.  depending on recent weather you can have awesome powder but many times they get quite icy in which case you can't steer with the front or back.  Have to have the sled set up for the persons size, style and ability by adjusting weight transfer, front shocks, carbide length-type and track traction.

I used to love rear-steering the old 79 Pantera with the 3/4 cleats around corners, could even do a 360 in the right conditions!  (not necessarily on purpose either!) 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 0:12 PM, ckf said:

Get more ski pressure or bigger more aggressive carbides :news: studs make for better acceleration which is what its all about :) and give a major advantage in braking also  

• Platinum Contributing Member

We usually get a good amount of snow but the trails have a tendency to get beat to shit quick which leads to icy corners and bare patches after every single stop sign etc. Studs help tremendously in these situation.

• Like 1

Studs all the way!

I never studded my 95 XLT due to the deep lug track (at the time) but quickly studded it before I gave the sled to my son.

My Vector came studded and after riding my XLT for years without them, I quickly remembered why I loved them so much.

HPIM1289 (Large).JPG

HPIM1223 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1910 (Large).JPG